Lucid Air Stereo "Surreal Sound" Test Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer you wait, the better you will feel when I finally post it. Patience is a Virtue. Do you think I cannot afford a Lucid, maybe? are you doubting my purchasing power? I am in the top 1.5 %, and that is without doing the 9 to 5, or even worse, working 80 hours a week like my cousin, who got his MBA from Harward. The beauty of my situation is not the 1.5 % but the fact that I wake up every day at noon and do whatever I please. A picture of my insurance with the VIN numbers is on my avatar. Do the Carfax
I meant Harvard, typing to fast

Dude, we thought you were streaming Tidal over your phone with Bluetooth because you complained the car’s volume doesn’t change when you change it on your phone. How can we draw any other conclusion?

Also I’ve done a direct A/B comparison via Bluetooth streaming to the car playing a tidal track (it’s not in MQA format, just Tidal “HiFi compression) that I was present for the mixing of, I heard the track on repeat for 6 straight weeks and know every note, every frequency, and it sounds indisputably better via the native Tidal app in the car as compared to over Bluetooth, in spite of the format in Tidal being identical. Maybe there’s something wrong with how Lucid is sending the Bluetooth data to the DSP (that’s totally possible Lucid is doing something wrong there), and also @experiment458 post was from April when we were on an early version of 1.0 software, as were @copper test of the system, and everyone agrees the Audio system has improved since 2.0 software. At that time we are all perplexed as confirmed Atmos mixes sounded underwhelming via Tidal, but if you said “Alexa Play…” for the same track, it would sound great and higher resolution, even non-Atmos mixes sounded better, and we all suspected the Tidal app in the car had some glitch limiting its ability to play higher bandwidth audio that we were paying for. This was probably due to bad 1.0 software on the Lucid and the “Alexa play…” trick really did work. Does it make sense? No. But that’s what happened.

On current software, Tidal HiFI is close to recording studio quality, full stop. When playing the identical track over Bluetooth via Tidal, it is OK but not as good across the board, not just in regards to bass response but in terms of depth of sound stage and quieter parts as well.

Also what size is the bass enclosure in the Lucid? I know zero people on the forum thus far who know what size the enclosure is, how did you figure out the cubic feet? Also, having a limiter does not affect whether one can install a subwoofer. A limiter reduces dynamic range dramatically making quieter sounds much louder at whatever threshold you set with a ratio much higher than standard compressors. I don’t understand how that has anything to do with LFE output from an amplifier, unless there’s a duplicate terminology for “limiter” I’m not familiar with.

Attachments

• f0dd893978353ae177d7f5872ca9ecd692f38190-8.jpg
    f0dd893978353ae177d7f5872ca9ecd692f38190-8.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 135
  • f0dd893978353ae177d7f5872ca9ecd692f38190-4.jpg
    f0dd893978353ae177d7f5872ca9ecd692f38190-4.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 135
Dude, we thought you were streaming Tidal over your phone with Bluetooth because you complained the car’s volume doesn’t change when you change it on your phone. How can we draw any other conclusion?

Also I’ve done a direct A/B comparison via Bluetooth streaming to the car playing a tidal track (it’s not in MQA format, just Tidal “HiFi compression) that I was present for the mixing of, I heard the track on repeat for 6 straight weeks and know every note, every frequency, and it sounds indisputably better via the native Tidal app in the car as compared to over Bluetooth, in spite of the format in Tidal being identical. Maybe there’s something wrong with how Lucid is sending the Bluetooth data to the DSP (that’s totally possible Lucid is doing something wrong there), and also @experiment458 post was from April when we were on an early version of 1.0 software, as were @copper test of the system, and everyone agrees the Audio system has improved since 2.0 software. At that time we are all perplexed as confirmed Atmos mixes sounded underwhelming via Tidal, but if you said “Alexa Play…” for the same track, it would sound great and higher resolution, even non-Atmos mixes sounded better, and we all suspected the Tidal app in the car had some glitch limiting its ability to play higher bandwidth audio that we were paying for. This was probably due to bad 1.0 software on the Lucid and the “Alexa play…” trick really did work. Does it make sense? No. But that’s what happened.

On current software, Tidal HiFI is close to recording studio quality, full stop. When playing the identical track over Bluetooth via Tidal, it is OK but not as good across the board, not just in regards to bass response but in terms of depth of sound stage and quieter parts as well.

Also what size is the bass enclosure in the Lucid? I know zero people on the forum thus far who know what size the enclosure is, how did you figure out the cubic feet? Also, having a limiter does not affect whether one can install a subwoofer. A limiter reduces dynamic range dramatically making quieter sounds much louder at whatever threshold you set with a ratio much higher than standard compressors. I don’t understand how that has anything to do with LFE output, unless there’s a duplicate terminology for “limiter” I’m not familiar with.
I looked in the trunk; I believe the sub is at the top, surrounded by two speakers on the left and right. in a SMALL enclosure. As I stated, the Lucid sound is excellent, but the bass is lacking. At home, I can tell the difference between, let's say, a Klipsch R 12Sw, and an SVS PB 16. Just sounds different. A bigger subwoofer in a bigger enclosure has more slam and is more detailed. I will meet some neighbors soon and make a side-by-side comparison. Many neighbors have Tesla. I was listening to electronic music by di.fm through Bluetooth. I use the app on the car for Tidal. I am curious about what the neighbors will say

Okay. We’ve gone way past the original point of this thread, and I think most here agree there’s little value being added.

I’m shutting this conversation down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back