[RESOLVED] Does your front footwell woofer work properly?

Can you hear/feel the woofer in the Driver footwell?

• Total voters
2019-03-13 20.04.31.jpg

Those of us Lucid owners living in San Diego County are doubly lucky in having Frank Collins as our local Lucid Mobile Tech. We really are very fortunate to have him.

Frank came by my house today and spent several hours addressing items on a to-do/to-check list that I had drawn up for him.

These items ranged from almost inconsequential, such as repairing/ replacing a plastic trim piece on the bottom of one of the doors; to pretty major, such as getting my car to stay within its lane the moment Highway Assist is engaged. My Air GT tracks like a locomotive now, after Frank worked his magic on my Highway Assist.

But perhaps the one fix that had me practically squealing with delight was the fix Frank first applied on @Bobby’s car, as detailed in post number 156 of this thread.

After taping over that same hole in the driver’s footwell sidewall, using the same kind of tape as in Bobby’s car, it’s like my car has come back with a brand new, completely different audio system. The bass in particular sounds so much fuller and deeper. And overall the whole audio system shimmers, with a richer, more dynamic and more refined quality than it ever did before. I know I’m not using audiophile lingo but my gosh, I really have no words to express how much of a difference in sound quality Frank was able to effect through such a simple fix!

My hat is off to Frank Collins. Thank you, Frank, for making me fall in love with my Air GT all over again. I climb in, turn up the music, then I never want to climb out.

Update: Success!

Service (Frank) was at my house today to fix the problem with the woofer in the footwell on the driver side. I previously called in a subwoofer, but he corrected me… It is a woofer. Anyhow, the woofer sounded like it was "blown" from the beginning, so he brought a new speaker with him. The best way to demonstrate it is with the song "Need You Tonight" by INXS, move it the 1:00 minute mark and stick your head down inside of the car next to the dead pedal. Shouldn't hear muddy vibrations on the kick drum.

Since the time that I originally discovered the problem, more knowledge has been gained about it. It turns out it's not the speaker at all. Behind the footwell carpet is aluminum body and in it, two 1 inch holes. These holes are covered by a piece of tape that looks like duct tape, about 4" x 2". It turns out it was that very tape that would vibrate and cause the sound of distortion. Frank removed that tape and replaced it with some foil backed butyl tape (Pella window tape to be specific). Voilà, the problem was instantly gone. The sound system sounds amazing now. While he was at it, he also did the passenger football which had some of the same problem, but not as pronounced. So happy with the sound system now!

While we were at it, he worked on the steering wheel to get rid of the creaking plastic to plastic sound. He took it off and apart (beat that, Tesla, even cooler than your dorky yoke), then put foam spacers at each of the four screws that hold it together from the back. A couple squirts of WD-40 dry lube, and the problem is gone forever!

We are blessed to have Frank here, he's patient and helpful. Thanks, Lucid. Love my GT!

View attachment 7596View attachment 7597View attachment 7598View attachment 7599View attachment 7600View attachment 7601
Question.. How difficult is it to remove the panels to get access to cover up the 2 holes…The Earliest my center center can do the repair is next month..I was thinking on doing it myself…

Question.. How difficult is it to remove the panels to get access to cover up the 2 holes…The Earliest my center center can do the repair is next month..I was thinking on doing it myself…
It’s not that easy and there are a lot of little clips that you can potentially break. If it were my car, I would have service do it.

It’s not that easy and there are a lot of little clips that you can potentially break. If it were my car, I would have service do it.

I was thinking the same thing. I know somewhere on this forum someone did attempt this fix on their own. They too warned of potentially breaking clips. If I recall correctly, they also came away feeling, if they had to do it all over again, they would prefer to wait for a mobile tech. It was a lot of work removing the panels.

When Frank came over to do my left footwell subwoofer he did remark that the left one was a lot easier to get to than the one on the right side. Yikes, can’t even imagine.

Went ahead and got a buddy to pull the panel and seal the 2 holes causing the front speaker to bottom out….Such a simple fix….

472D13CF-B466-46EA-B4EF-5DAE2CCD12FE.jpeg

Went ahead and got a buddy to pull the panel and seal the 2 holes causing the front speaker to bottom out….Such a simple fix….

View attachment 10544
Is this photo before the fix? My system sounds pretty good, but I am curious if the system would sound even better after the fix. My mobile tech told me he couldn’t do it for me.

Huge difference…..I can play my music loud with the bass set at 0 instead of -6db….No more bottoming out….I still plan to do a full system upgrade next month….😊

Apropos of almost nothing being discussed here - I’ve already spent so much on the initial purchase of my Air GT already that I wouldn’t dream of spending even more money on upgrading the audio.

Having said that, in spite of being told repeatedly on this forum, by members whose opinions I trust, that our 55-speaker, hyper-megawatt, supah-dupah, extreme-ultra HiFi system designed into our Air GTs, is way superior to many - my ears still tell me something different. That the audio system in our Tesla Model X sounds better, sounds fuller, and sounds richer. I only wish I could hear it above the deafening road roar and intrusive wind noise.

Is this photo before the fix? My system sounds pretty good, but I am curious if the system would sound even better after the fix. My mobile tech told me he couldn’t do it for me.

Your mobile tech needs to be put in touch with our local mobile tech here in San Diego CA. As far as our service centre in Costa Mesa CA is concerned, this is a Lucid Service-approved fix.

Has this issue been reported on any of the Touring or Pure trims?

After the fix sir…I think the factory tape they use to block the 2 holes is just too thin …

If you go back and reread this whole thread, you will see lots of pictures and explanations.

Apropos of almost nothing being discussed here - I’ve already spent so much on the initial purchase of my Air GT already that I wouldn’t dream of spending even more money on upgrading the audio.

Having said that, in spite of being told repeatedly on this forum, by members whose opinions I trust, that our 55-speaker, hyper-megawatt, supah-dupah, extreme-ultra HiFi system designed into our Air GTs, is way superior to many - my ears still tell me something different. That the audio system in our Tesla Model X sounds better, sounds fuller, and sounds richer. I only wish I could hear it above the deafening road roar and intrusive wind noise.
I am an audiophile junkie…I have yet to hear an upgraded Factory Hifi system that blew me away…I will say this….After streaming Tidal for the first time with the front speaker issue repaired…I am truly impressed with what I heard ( for a stock setup 😊)….The front stage sounded really good…but not good enough for me to pay the $4k upgrade to keep the SSPRO….

I am an audiophile junkie…I have yet to hear an upgraded Factory Hifi system that blew me away…I will say this….After streaming Tidal for the first time with the front speaker issue repaired…I am truly impressed with what I heard ( for a stock setup 😊)….The front stage sounded really good…but not good enough for me to pay the $4k upgrade to keep the SSPRO….
Thanks to the forum for uncovering this problem and the fix. Today I was in for service and told them that the bass was not working properly, I even provided the description of the fix with photos. They were going to run some test and measurements to confirm the bass problem By the end of the service, they did implement this fix. Not sure why they were initially reluctant. Now the sound is much richer.

I uploaded a video to demonstrate what I am hearing. I would appreciate it if any owners on here could please comment as to whether you think this sounds wrong. It sounds like the front left speaker is “blown” to me. It reduces the entire bass to being very muddy; no tightness. Does anyone else hear this? I am using a song in Atmos on Tidal.

Link:
I hear the same in my car. Sounds like a blown speaker.

Back