Real Life Range

Pbardwell

I just got my new Air Pure this weekend and I love the car. I am concerned about range though. I am pacing about half the stated range. I did not except to get 410 miles on a full charge, but half?!? Lucid says the batteries need 2,000 miles to break in, but Tesla owners I know say that’s crazy. I feel like they are just kicking the can down the road. Would love to hear what others have experienced.

My range did get better over time. It is very hard to say without knowing anything about your driving habits. Some people are hyper milers and others are lead foots.
There are people getting EPA range.

Driving habits, speeds, weather, altitude, tires, position of the 3rd moon of Jupiter will determine your real life range.

Today I tried to drive very conservatively and was still only getting 2 miles for every percent of charge. Brand new tires, 50 degrees outside, not at any high altitude and pretty flat roads. If your range got better as you broke the batteries in, how much better?

Today I tried to drive very conservatively and was still only getting 2 miles for every percent of charge. Brand new tires, 50 degrees outside, not at any high altitude and pretty flat roads. If your range got better as you broke the batteries in, how much better?

I would try driving for about 10-20 miles at a constant speed of around 55-65. If you are still getting those numbers , you may have a problem. Ideally, you should be assessing your m/kWh on the trip meters, not since last charge.

My efficiency did get a bit better after a couple thousand miles , but not dramatically.

For the last 3000 miles or so I am getting about 4.1 m/kWh in a GT with 19 inch wheels.

Efficiency does get better after about 2000-3000 miles. That’s not true for Tesla, as they use different motors that don’t have a similar “break in” period. But it’s not double.

However, you should also raise the concern with service, and do some “constant speed” tests at 28mph (just set ACC) and 65mph. If your range loss is way off, then you have a service issue.

I just got my new Air Pure this weekend and I love the car. I am concerned about range though. I am pacing about half the stated range. I did not except to get 410 miles on a full charge, but half?!? Lucid says the batteries need 2,000 miles to break in, but Tesla owners I know say that’s crazy. I feel like they are just kicking the can down the road. Would love to hear what others have experienced.
I just got back from my first long distance road trip driving my AGT through the desert on interstates in Arizona and New Mexico. In the three legs between charging that I watched closely, I traveled 220 miles but used up 360 miles. I was very glad that I planned the trip conservatively on the charging or I would be stuck in the desert looking to borrow a bucket of electrons. I was driving fast, 84 mph on the 75 mph highway, but in the desert with 800 hp, you have to go fast. I also know that the drag, and energy use, is proportional to the square of the velocity. However, for the calculation to be that far off, the algorithm has to have hardwired a speed about 15 mph lower than I was going. So I am less concerned about the shorter range, I could always slow down (maybe), than I am that the algorithm is not using real time data from the roads that I am on and the speed I am going to provide an accurate estimate of how far I can expect to go. Driving through the Southwest with a 100 miles between towns, being 50% short of the estimate could be critical mistake.

I just got back from my first long distance road trip driving my AGT through the desert on interstates in Arizona and New Mexico. In the three legs between charging that I watched closely, I traveled 220 miles but used up 360 miles. I was very glad that I planned the trip conservatively on the charging or I would be stuck in the desert looking to borrow a bucket of electrons. I was driving fast, 84 mph on the 75 mph highway, but in the desert with 800 hp, you have to go fast. I also know that the drag, and energy use, is proportional to the square of the velocity. However, for the calculation to be that far off, the algorithm has to have hardwired a speed about 15 mph lower than I was going. So I am less concerned about the shorter range, I could always slow down (maybe), than I am that the algorithm is not using real time data from the roads that I am on and the speed I am going to provide an accurate estimate of how far I can expect to go. Driving through the Southwest with a 100 miles between towns, being 50% short of the estimate could be critical mistake.
Speed is the #1 factor. Slow down on trips where efficiency matters.

It's so frustrating seeing this response. It's very obstinate. That's not a solution, and it's not related to what the poster was bringing up. Here's what he said:

So I am less concerned about the shorter range, I could always slow down (maybe), than I am that the algorithm is not using real time data from the roads that I am on and the speed I am going to provide an accurate estimate of how far I can expect to go. Driving through the Southwest with a 100 miles between towns, being 50% short of the estimate could be critical mistake.

The actual issue the post brings up is that it's a little weird that the car can't seem to adjust to your burn rate. My Subaru has a little thing above the infotainment that when I reset my trip, shows:
  • Miles of range remaining
  • average MPG
Over the course of a roadtrip, that miles remaining is changing based on the avg MPG on that trip + the level of gas in the tank.

Intuitively, it should be very easy for the Air to do this - what SOC % is left, and how much has been used for how many miles. if my Subaru can do it, Lucid can do it. I KNOW I can go slower to get more charge. I also KNOW I can take x% SOC x y mi/kWh that I think I'm getting - it's just freakin weird that the car doesn't do that, but instead statically calculates the EPA mi/kWh for remaining range. I didn't buy a luxury vehicle and then expect to have to do math to figure out if I need to stop every time on a 12-hour day. I expect features to make my 12 hour day easier, not ones I have to remember to manually correct because they're flat out wrong.

This doesn't even go so far as to say how cool it would be (and I'd think doable) to be able to input my own speed and have the car be more predictive of what it thinks my range will be based on how I plan to drive it.

It's so frustrating seeing this response. It's very obstinate. That's not a solution, and it's not related to what the poster was bringing up. Here's what he said:

The actual issue the post brings up is that it's a little weird that the car can't seem to adjust to your burn rate. My Subaru has a little thing above the infotainment that when I reset my trip, shows:
  • average MPG
Over the course of a roadtrip, that miles remaining is changing based on the avg MPG on that trip + the level of gas in the tank.

Intuitively, it should be very easy for the Air to do this - what SOC % is left, and how much has been used for how many miles. if my Subaru can do it, Lucid can do it. I KNOW I can go slower to get more charge. I also KNOW I can take x% SOC x y mi/kWh that I think I'm getting - it's just freakin weird that the car doesn't do that, but instead statically calculates the EPA mi/kWh for remaining range. I didn't buy a luxury vehicle and then expect to have to do math to figure out if I need to stop every time on a 12-hour day. I expect features to make my 12 hour day easier, not ones I have to remember to manually correct because they're flat out wrong.

This doesn't even go so far as to say how cool it would be (and I'd think doable) to be able to input my own speed and have the car be more predictive of what it thinks my range will be based on how I plan to drive it.
Accurate range prediction is the item I wish for the most.

Accurate range prediction is the item I wish for the most.
They already have it in navigation, so it is strange why that could not be in the center as well normally. I’m sure they have their reasons for it though.

Also accelerate slowly in city traffic and slow down when you know that a traffic light is going to turn red. You will not lose any time.

Here's the thing about all the speed demons on this site: I get it. Sometimes I want to go really fast, too. But there are tradeoffs. When I drive fast, I know my efficiency will go down. I don't complain about it, because that's how it works.

I know I can't have it both ways. And I know I can't ask for a temporary pause on the laws of physics.

Meanwhile, with any luck, Lucid will bake in a better algorithm eventually, so that whatever they are doing for miles remaining during navigation will also be applied when you aren't. No question, this needs to be improved.

Until then, ignore miles remaining. Switch to percentage, do the math in your head, recheck every now and then to be sure you are on track, and you'll be fine.

And yes, on long road trips where efficiency is critical because of crappy positioning of fast chargers, trade speed for better efficiency.

The need for even one extra fast charging stop will destroy any advantage you get from going faster.

• average MPG

The miles remaining at stop or destination while using navigation is very accurate. It accounts for both speed and elevation. I am not sure what it assumes for speed but seems to be just slightly higher than the speed limits.

I agree that you cannot use the battery SOC indicator to predict remaining range. It is better to switch it to percent than to look at an incorrect miles number.

They already have it in navigation, so it is strange why that could not be in the center as well normally. I’m sure they have their reasons for it though.

Are you asking for a feature of a live Energy Consumption Graph?

fullsizerender-jpg.238934

Are you looking for something that says the EPA number on the battery gauge is 251 miles while the Energy Consumption Prediction Graph contradictorily says 198 miles?

tesla-range-estimator-jpg.143201

My other car has a browser, so I've been taking advantage of the feature to monitor my car's winds and elevation in real-time since 2016, and I am still using it today:

501b8c91-c839-444a-bc95-b398a4512545-jpeg.347277

Since Lucid doesn't have a browser, you can bring your own browser, such as an internet-connected cell phone or tablet.

My other car has a browser, so I've been taking advantage of the feature to monitor my car's winds and elevation in real-time since 2016, and I am still using it today:

501b8c91-c839-444a-bc95-b398a4512545-jpeg.347277

Since Lucid doesn't have a browser, you can bring your own browser, such as an internet-connected cell phone or tablet.
Okay that looks useful.

• average MPG

On my LA to Las Vegas trip the Navigation predicted SOC at the charging stop and destination was accurate. It appears to account for my driving and terrain. The predicted SOC updated during the trip and was 2% points higher than the predicted at the start. You can rely on the predicted SOC not the predicted range which appears to be based on EPA. It would be a nice improvement to provide a predicted range based on your driving and terrain. All the data is readily available to make a realistic range estimate.

As others said, predicted SOC% on arrival in the navigation is within 1-2% of accurate. So is ABRP. Miles remaining is less accurate. From what I'm reading Rivian predicted miles remaining is very accurate regardless of speed or conditions, so they must have figured something out. Lucid engineers are very smart people, I'd assume we'll see more accurate miles remaining prediction in the future. In the meantime use Navigation predicted SOC% or A Better Route Planner. You can also use Alexa to calculate your range for you, just requires a little math (SOC% x 112kwh x mi/kwh).

.... that the algorithm is not using real time data from the roads that I am on and the speed I am going to provide an accurate estimate of how far I can expect to go...
The miles remaining calculation just multiplies the fixed EPA efficiency figure (determined years ago) by the battery's state of charge. This will only be accurate if you drive around 50mph.
I just changed my display to show battery SOC instead of miles, and do the mental math myself to calculate remaining range. A small pain but will do until Lucid improves this.

Back