AZ Owners Rally - My Range Analysis

I also came from the Tucson area. At the top of Kitt's peak I was down to 2.2 pkwh. At the bottom had restored to 3.5 pkhw. Total trip averaged 3.5. I'm on 20 inch wheels and have the Touring model.

Photo from Kitts peak.

View attachment 17974
Pretty good. About what I would have expected. Do you remember what your kWh/mile was before starting up?

I normally average 3.7. Starting up Kitts Peak I was at 3.5. I was fascinated how quickly I was eating watts going up the road. Happy to see it recharging most of the way down. Temp at the top was running about 40 degrees and windy. All typical for KP. Remanents of snow were in shady spots at the top.

Being along the path between the factory and the Mesa starting point, I probably had the lowest miles for the day, at 149.1. And since everyone else probably had more highway miles than I did for the day, I probably had an advantage for efficiency. My white-roofed, 19-inch-AS-shod Touring consumed 37kWh and finished with 4.1mi/kWh. Thanks to the roof and ceramic tint, I was comfortable without the A/C.
I'm happy to say that wasn't all mellow driving, either. Some of it was, as Suzanne will attest, but after I shot all the pictures at the bridge, I had a glorious couple of miles to catch up to Tesla2Lucid. This was my first time taking this car through the twisties, and I couldn't believe how awesome this car is on all-seasons. I'm not always a fan of one-pedal driving but wow, it was perfect in this situation.

That was a fun stretch before/after the bridge! My wife was not all that pleased with my speed in either direction, but the car (on 19" all seasons) does seem to really like the curves! Wow. 4.1 miles/kWh. After two months of pretty conservative driving, I have yet to crack 3.8. (BTW, if you're willing, perhaps you could direct message me with some details about your ceramic tint.)

I went to SmartFilm and got their top-of-the-line ceramic tint in 70% VLT, including the visor area of the windshield. I didn't want to go darker because I didn't want things to look dark inside the car.
4.1 is slightly better than I expected for this drive, based on my history. The elevation changes, the canyon carving, and some faster-than-my-norm highway driving led me to expect 3.9. I've averaged 4.4 mi/kWh over the 7600 miles I've driven my car; that's probably about 2/3 city and 1/3 highway driving. I usually crest 5 for my daily commute to work, but not only am I driving very smoothly, the drive is all suburban, I usually have a slight tailwind, I know the timing of the stoplights and can hit mostly greens, I'm not exceeding 50mph, I rarely need the climate control, and in the wintertime I'm doing my morning commute immediately after charging for 30-45mins so the battery is up to a good temperature for efficient driving. On a highway round trip to Tucson, I get 4.0 if I'm generally not exceeding 75mph, not needing climate control, and not using highway assist. The A/C definitely makes a dent, and the heater even more. I'm almost always in Smooth mode, with high regen, and I'm "coasting" the car (letting up on the accelerator just enough that the power meter is indicating I'm slightly recharging the battery) way ahead of stoplights whenever that won't interfere with traffic. There are other threads on the forum about driving efficiency that may help.

I'm happy to say that wasn't all mellow driving, either. Some of it was, as Suzanne will attest, but after I shot all the pictures at the bridge, I had a glorious couple of miles to catch up to Tesla2Lucid.
:eek:

Back