AZ Owners Rally - My Range Analysis

Buffalo Bob

Verified Owner
Cars
Pure AWD, SC430, Hghlndr
Referral Code
CVXJ7QLE
I thought I'd take this event as an opportunity to better educate myself on what to expect about my range, and how Lucid calculates remaining range. Some of you might find it useful...

The day's travel: Pretty much flat terrain. Just a few fairly slow hilly areas. I'd guess about 70% highway. On the highway, I drove in the 70-80 MPH range. No jackrabbit starts.
My car: A 2023 Pure AWD with 19" wheels and no aero covers. Properly inflated tires. Only about 700 miles on the odometer, so the motors are still breaking in.
The weather: Beautiful. In the 70s, but the A/C was on most of the time.

I charged the car a couple days before to 83%, so about 76 kWh usable. Range showed around 340 miles, which is consistent with the 4.5 miles/kWh that supports the 410 mile EPA range.
I set Trip A to zero, and recorded 181 miles for the trip, with 49 kWh used, so 3.7 miles/kWh. At full charge, 3.7 miles/kWh would suggest a 340 mile range (vs. 410 EPA), so that comes to around 83% of the EPS figure.
Remaining kWh showed at about 24 kWh, so about 3 kWh of phantom use). Remaining range showed at 109 miles, which suggests that Lucid uses the 4.5 miles/kWh EPA figure for their calculation. At my 3.7 miles/kWh, my remaining range was probably more like 90 miles.

That all seems pretty reasonable to me, but it would be quite nice if the car's range estimates were calculated based on the drive (or maybe driver's) history, instead of using the 'ideal' EPA figures.

Hope this is useful/accurate.

I thought I'd take this event as an opportunity to better educate myself on what to expect about my range, and how Lucid calculates remaining range. Some of you might find it useful...

The day's travel: Pretty much flat terrain. Just a few fairly slow hilly areas. I'd guess about 70% highway. On the highway, I drove in the 70-80 MPH range. No jackrabbit starts.
My car: A 2023 Pure AWD with 19" wheels and no aero covers. Properly inflated tires. Only about 700 miles on the odometer, so the motors are still breaking in.

I charged the car a couple days before to 83%, so about 76 kWh usable. Range showed around 340 miles, which is consistent with the 4.5 miles/kWh that supports the 410 mile EPA range.
I set Trip A to zero, and recorded 181 miles for the trip, with 49 kWh used, so 3.7 miles/kWh. At full charge, 3.7 miles/kWh would suggest a 340 mile range (vs. 410 EPA), so that comes to around 83% of the EPS figure.
Remaining kWh showed at about 24 kWh, so about 3 kWh of phantom use). Remaining range showed at 109 miles, which suggests that Lucid uses the 4.5 miles/kWh EPA figure for their calculation. At my 3.7 miles/kWh, my remaining range was probably more like 90 miles.

That all seems pretty reasonable to me, but it would be quite nice if the car's range estimates were calculated based on the drive (or maybe driver's) history, instead of using the 'ideal' EPA figures.

Agree with your comments - it does sound like you did pretty well over mixed terrain. Coming from North Scottsdale, we were showing 4.2 m/kw on the way to the meet up. It’s actually a slow down hill ride to that area. Overall for the trip we did about 3.7 m/kw including the run up Apache Trail to the lake and lots of 80MPH. And a significant traffic jam coming back. I think the car did great. Was a fun run up the canyon. My heart goes out to the crazy bike riders on that road. Memorable day.

Same rally, 3.1 😁

Agree with your comments - it does sound like you did pretty well over mixed terrain. Coming from North Scottsdale, we were showing 4.2 m/kw on the way to the meet up. It’s actually a slow down hill ride to that area. Overall for the trip we did about 3.7 m/kw including the run up Apache Trail to the lake and lots of 80MPH. And a significant traffic jam coming back. I think the car did great. Was a fun run up the canyon. My heart goes out to the crazy bike riders on that road. Memorable day.
For a minute there, I thought you meant that you continued on the Apache Trail all the way to ROOSEVELT LAKE. In a Lucid! Yikes!!!

First, thanks for the analysis. I think it looks pretty accurate to me. And I agree, the remaining range should be calculated according to your most recent efficiency, not EPA. This is why I prefer percentage to miles. I can do the math for remaining range in my head when I look at percentage.

If you set up navigation, the remaining charge on arrival should be more accurate. That one actually does the correct math.

For a minute there, I thought you meant that you continued on the Apache Trail all the way to ROOSEVELT LAKE. In a Lucid! Yikes!!!
That would break the car in for sure.

I too came from North Scottsdale and Luci also did about 3.7 m/kw. Considering I have 19” with aftermarket non-aero wheels I’m pretty pleased .

I was around 3.0 on my custom 20s that have no aero benefits. Filled in full in morning drove 5 miles to event and had 500 miles ready to go. After driving back to our starting point which included trip to canyon lake , AmP1, and back to AJ fine foods had 230 miles left so it claimed it used around 270 miles. Pretty warm day for Jan

That would break the car in for sure.
Ha! It sure would! In about a million pieces. For those of you who don't know, the part of the Apache Trail from Canyon Lake to Roosevelt Lake is a narrow, unimproved (dirt) white-knuckler, with bumps and gulleys that even in a robust 4x4 can find challenging.

I started the day at 100%, 371 miles indicated on Touring w/20in wheels. 191.9 miles for the day, paid no attention to efficiency, 2 passengers. Used 55kWh, 3.5 mi/kWh. Believe I had 35% S.O.C. when the day was over.

I came from the Tucson end - total trip for me was 250 miles - Included a 12 mile run up the steep mountain to Kitt Peak (and back down) - I also showed 3.7 miles/kWh for the trip. Touring/19" wheels - 10 months old with 10,500 miles.

I too came from North Scottsdale and Luci also did about 3.7 m/kw. Considering I have 19” with aftermarket non-aero wheels I’m pretty pleased .

I was at the rally and drove 196 miles total with 3.9 miles/kWh for the trip.

I came from the Tucson end - total trip for me was 250 miles - Included a 12 mile run up the steep mountain to Kitt Peak (and back down) - I also showed 3.7 miles/kWh for the trip. Touring/19" wheels - 10 months old with 10,500 miles.
It must be interesting to see how many kWh you use on the way up Kitt Peak, and then how much of that you regenerate back on the way down.... Unless you just hang on and 'let'er fly'.

It must be interesting to see how many kWh you use on the way up Kitt Peak, and then how much of that you regenerate back on the way down.... Unless you just hang on and 'let'er fly'.

As I remember, it went from 3.5 down to 2.5 going up and back to 2.8 back at the bottom.

As I remember, it went from 3.5 down to 2.5 going up and back to 2.8 back at the bottom.
I'm surprised you didn't recover more. I once talked to someone who (not a Lucid) recovered around 80% of that they lost. Do you drive in high regen mode? Or... maybe you really DO let'er fly. :)

I'm surprised you didn't recover more. I once talked to someone who (not a Lucid) recovered around 80% of that they lost. Do you drive in high regen mode? Or... maybe you really DO let'er fly. :)
No, high regen and the caravan was cautious. I was a bit surprised too.

We came from Desert Mountain, so about 250 miles round trip - 3.9 m/kw for the day. GT with 19" aeros, thought that was pretty good! When we got to AMP-1 we were at 4.1 m/kw, so the traffic headed back took a toll...

I started the day at 100%, 371 miles indicated on Touring w/20in wheels. 191.9 miles for the day, paid no attention to efficiency, 2 passengers. Used 55kWh, 3.5 mi/kWh. Believe I had 35% S.O.C. when the day was over.
Exact same here, touring, 20inch , 3.5 miles/kwh

I also came from the Tucson area. At the top of Kitt's peak I was down to 2.2 pkwh. At the bottom had restored to 3.5 pkhw. Total trip averaged 3.5. I'm on 20 inch wheels and have the Touring model.

Photo from Kitts peak.

1706486761834.jpeg

Back