Passenger door handle broken / grinding

Y28y

Verified Owner
Walked into the garage today to drive to work, have the fob on me.

Car wakes up, hear this horrible grinding sound coming from the driver's door handle.
All other door handles pop out and can be operated, not the driver's door.
Climbed in from the passenger side, use the inside handle to open, door opens fine. Close the door again, no pop out, forlorn door handle doesn't work. Try to lock and unlock from the fob, every unlock creates the loud grinding/thumping noise. Almost sounds like some gear is trying to pop the handle, but isn't connecting.

Called customer care and now awaiting a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked into the garage today to drive to work, have the fob on me.

Car wakes up, hear this horrible grinding sound coming from the driver's door handle.
All other door handles pop out and can be operated, not the driver's door.
Climbed in from the passenger side, use the inside handle to open, door opens fine. Close the door again, no pop out, forlorn door handle doesn't work. Try to lock and unlock from the fob, every unlock creates the loud grinding/thumping noise. Almost sounds like some gear is trying to pop the handle, but isn't connecting.

Called customer care and now awaiting a response.

Not sure how a car at this price can't be relied upon to open a door.
Sorry to hear this issue arise. From your post, it seems the handle was working before and from the sound of it, there seems to be a mechanical issue.

That's what I thin as well, yes it was working.

Only other data point is that i installed 2.0.36 yesterday (that did reference something vague about improvement to openings).

Only other data point is that i installed 2.0.36 yesterday (that did reference something vague about improvement to openings).
It sounds like a mechanical issue and is not likely related to the 2.0.36 update.

Have you tried a reset? Though, there is little chance it would do anything. Maybe a percussive adjustment could work to remedy the issue.

Have you tried a reset? Though, there is little chance it would do anything. Maybe a percussive adjustment could work to remedy the issue.
I dont think it would do much, if you are away from the car for a long time(a night) it would automatically reset.

“Percussive adjustment” lol

... Maybe a percussive adjustment could work to remedy the issue.
My mind immediately went back to a childhood campfire song...
"Who's that knocking at my door... who's that knocking at my door... who's that knocking at my door? Said Barnacle Bill the sailor..."

(hum, those aren't even the lyrics, lol)

What was the outside temperature when the door handle grinding happened? The car is notorious for hiding water in various cavities which can then freeze. I washed the car once when it was freezing outside and then drove it, ice formed under the passenger door handle, which then made that crunchy crunch sound when trying to extend. Still trying to decide the best way to wash this car in the winter. The PPF does not like certain things when it’s freezing (it’s SunTek) like ONR or chemical guys Rinseless wash.

hmm .. I had a similar [but opposite] problem in that the driver door handle got stuck open/up but the door wouldn't open [after installing an update: 2.0.25]. I didn't hear any crunching sounds and the only way to open it was to go through the passenger door and unlock it. After that, it's been working fine ever since.

Sounds like yours may be a mechanical issue but thought I'd mention it. (Link to Post w/ my issue)

Not related to any update. I had both passenger side door handles replaced a couple of weeks ago. The rear passenger handle was behaving as you described. The front passenger would open when I unlocked the car. Frank said that they were the “old style” of handle motors on the car and he replaced them with the “new style.” There have been lots of door handle issues from what I gather on the forum. The pop out handles are a solution to a non-existent problem. Old style handles would have been much better as there are fewer things to go wrong.

What was the outside temperature when the door handle grinding happened? The car is notorious for hiding water in various cavities which can then freeze. I washed the car once when it was freezing outside and then drove it, ice formed under the passenger door handle, which then made that crunchy crunch sound when trying to extend. Still trying to decide the best way to wash this car in the winter. The PPF does not like certain things when it’s freezing (it’s SunTek) like ONR or chemical guys Rinseless wash.
Car was in the garage so it was warm 50+ degrees so I don't think it was a freezing issue at all...

Not related to any update. I had both passenger side door handles replaced a couple of weeks ago. The rear passenger handle was behaving as you described. The front passenger would open when I unlocked the car. Frank said that they were the “old style” of handle motors on the car and he replaced them with the “new style.” There have been lots of door handle issues from what I gather on the forum. The pop out handles are a solution to a non-existent problem. Old style handles would have been much better as there are fewer things to go wrong.
100% agree on solution to a non problem. Bit ridiculous that with all the electronics and automation on the car, something as Model-T era as a door handle breaks.

Current update.

A tech has been assigned, and has ordered the part but has not scheduled a date yet. Now day #5 without my primary car. Good thing we have a manual transmission Mazda that has working door handles!!!!

We all new what we were getting into buying a v1.0 car --- but at this price point it sucks not being able to rely on it, and being without a car for several days.

Car was delivered in October so wonder if i have the "old style" door handle....

Car was delivered in October so wonder if i have the "old style" door handle....
I think your servo motor just broke. Had my car for a year with no door handle issues. Luck of the draw maybe?

I’ve been worried about the handle situation for a while considering the issues I had with the motorized handles in my Model S. I’m curious if these are prone to breakage or if it’s resilient to wear and tear. Definitely let us know what the exact issue was if they tell you.

I’ve been worried about the handle situation for a while considering the issues I had with the motorized handles in my Model S. I’m curious if these are prone to breakage or if it’s resilient to wear and tear. Definitely let us know what the exact issue was if they tell you.
We haven’t seen too much reporting of handle motors wearing out, so that’s a good sign. But it’s still early.

Back