Passenger door handle broken / grinding

I'm going to stop reading this forum... seems like bad luck! 🥴

I was getting into the car and wanted to put some paperwork in the back seat. Car unlocks, but when I tried to open the driver-side rear door, it wouldn't open (handle was up, but couldn't open the door). Every other door worked. Tried locking and unlocking, but despite the handle closing and opening, the door wouldn't budge. Eventually climbed through the passenger-side rear door and pulled on the handle from inside and the door opened. Tried it a couple times after that and seems to work now. ugh!

Final update here.
Lucid sent a mobile service tech out todaym very nice and thorough professional.
Said that there are some clips that sit between the actuator and the handle which he has seen on a couple of occasions become "unseated". He fixed it.

Also looked at some of my delivery to-dos -- squeaky steering wheel and trim stuff, both corrected well.

Again wasn't thrilled that it happened in the first place but service quality was high and that too 2 days before Christmas, which I certainly appreciated.

Walked into the garage today to drive to work, have the fob on me.

Car wakes up, hear this horrible grinding sound coming from the driver's door handle.
All other door handles pop out and can be operated, not the driver's door.
Climbed in from the passenger side, use the inside handle to open, door opens fine. Close the door again, no pop out, forlorn door handle doesn't work. Try to lock and unlock from the fob, every unlock creates the loud grinding/thumping noise. Almost sounds like some gear is trying to pop the handle, but isn't connecting.

Called customer care and now awaiting a response.
My car developed this same problem tonight. Hoping the door handle resets by tomorrow morning before calling for service.
Or does anyone have a solution that works?

My car developed this same problem tonight. Hoping the door handle resets by tomorrow morning before calling for service.
Or does anyone have a solution that works?
Try and push the handle inwards hard, which might reset it after a minute? This happened to me once and that worked.

Service had to come out and fix the mechanical issue, in my case.

I had a similar problem some time ago. My front passenger handle would not "open" so the only way to open that door was to put down the window and open it from the inside. Serviced replaced the door handle. I did not however have the grinding noise you mention but my driver's door would close and then open slightly. The only way I could drive was to slam the door shut hard. Service replaced that handle assembly as well. Both occurred in the same week. That was months ago. No issues since. You should talk to your service center and see if they have the handle assembly in stock and if not order 1 ASAP. Good Luck!

I was having similar driver door handle issue got an quick appointment at Houston Service Center and they fixed the motor and working fine now.

I have exactly this problem now with the left rear door handle. Awaiting service.

Let me throw my two cents in I just had the same thing happen to me had to bring it in and the grinding noise what it is is a c-clip that falls off it's a couple hour repair and they took care of me right away and all is good now

The exact issue happened to our GT today. The driver's door handle got stuck and wouldn't pop up with grinding noise. It's funny when I google it the top result is this video.

Mine was repaired promptly by a mobile technician.

Same happened to me recently but before the most recent software update. Was a rear door with the same grinding noise and no pop out. It was mechanical and Service replaced the mechanism with a quick 1 day turnaround. All good now. Strangely that door rarely gets used so not sure why that was the one to fail, but at least it’s an easy fix.

Reactions: HES
Have you tried a reset? Though, there is little chance it would do anything. Maybe a percussive adjustment could work to remedy the issue.
I had this issue. Embarrassing sound when you’re in public as it can sound a bit like gunfire. The handle and lock mechanism needed to be replaced. This wasn’t a software fix.

Reactions: HES
Mine just happened yesterday for drivers door. Service coming Wednesday to replace. Of course I have two dinners this weekend in restaurants with Valet only .

Back