New GT order...

TCGT

Cars
Grand Touring
I’ve been following members of this forum for awhile (shout out to the first ones I know: hydbob, borski, Lucken, hmp10, dawktah….), whose individual and combined wisdom has been so helpful in understanding the details of choosing to purchase the Lucid Air. After reading the ups and downs, questions and endorsements of everyone, I finally confirmed my GT reservation (from 2/21). It’s a good feeling, and I’m now awaiting communication from my DA, Tony Nguyen.

My initial thoughts are below:

First, my test drive in San Jose (last month) was a sublime experience. Nothing less than pure joy. I had limited expectation (or interaction) with the software, so everything was about the essential experience of driving the car...and it could not have been better. My only issue was the sound of the turn signal - just sounded weird, and wish it were different - does anyone else feel the same?

So, overall, a very good first impression. Still, the overwhelming number of comments on the owners forum about software issues held me back from ordering until now. In a bet that I wouldn’t suggest my kids make, I measured the options and chose to jump in. An unscientific calculation (gee, about a car?), that may play out well, or not, but isn’t the end of the world. If the car is as smooth in daily driving as my test drive, I’ll be happy.

GT Quantum Grey, Santa Cruz, with 20” wheels.

Basic suggestions on wrapping, wheels, aftermarket accessories for Mid West are welcome!

Congratulations. I actually just placed my reservation 2/14. I wonder now with production ramping up, would I get my confirmation like a lot sooner you think?

Congrats on your order. I am sure you will love it. Hoping to get mine within 1-2 months. I doubt that you will have to wait as long as the rest of us since it seems like they are ramping up the AGT’s. I have the same as you except for the 19” wheels.

Congrats on your order. I am sure you will love it. Hoping to get mine within 1-2 months. I doubt that you will have to wait as long as the rest of us since it seems like they are ramping up the AGT’s. I have the same as you except for the 19” wheels.
For deliveries and that confirmation email that I referred to?

For deliveries and that confirmation email that I referred to?
I don’t think they have confirmed any orders past early December (January confirmation batch for orders placed by Late November). I heard a report of someone saying he got the email at the beginning of February, but no one else has said they got one.. I imagine that they would send out emails for the remaining AGT orders within the next month since they said that Touring deliveries would start in Q2. once confirmed, they give a 2-4 month timeline, but expect to be closer to 4.

Basic suggestions on wrapping, wheels, aftermarket accessories for Mid West are welcome!

FWIW if you live in a state with snow, it would be wise to get the 19" wheels. Here is the description for the 20" wheels:

Please note that while 20” and larger wheels can provide superior steering and handling in certain driving situations, they are equipped with low aspect-ratio summer tires and should only be operated on smooth road surfaces. Wheel, tire and suspension damage can occur if operated on rough or damaged road surfaces. Summer tires are designed to best perform in warm weather and are not suitable for cold temperatures nor driving in snow and ice.

I’ve been following members of this forum for awhile (shout out to the first ones I know: hydbob, borski, Lucken, hmp10, dawktah….), whose individual and combined wisdom has been so helpful in understanding the details of choosing to purchase the Lucid Air. After reading the ups and downs, questions and endorsements of everyone, I finally confirmed my GT reservation (from 2/21). It’s a good feeling, and I’m now awaiting communication from my DA, Tony Nguyen.

My initial thoughts are below:

First, my test drive in San Jose (last month) was a sublime experience. Nothing less than pure joy. I had limited expectation (or interaction) with the software, so everything was about the essential experience of driving the car...and it could not have been better. My only issue was the sound of the turn signal - just sounded weird, and wish it were different - does anyone else feel the same?

So, overall, a very good first impression. Still, the overwhelming number of comments on the owners forum about software issues held me back from ordering until now. In a bet that I wouldn’t suggest my kids make, I measured the options and chose to jump in. An unscientific calculation (gee, about a car?), that may play out well, or not, but isn’t the end of the world. If the car is as smooth in daily driving as my test drive, I’ll be happy.

You’re gonna love it. It really does drive incredibly well.

Also I hate the turn signal sound. It’s just a little too high pitched, haha. I’ve complained about it and when you get your car you should too and maybe they’ll make it less annoying if we all mention it :p

FWIW if you live in a state with snow, it would be wise to get the 19" wheels. Here is the description for the 20" wheels:
Go with 20" and just throw some Michellin Pilot sport 4s

I suppose you could do this with the 21s too?
That's my plan after this first set of Pirelli's wear out

That's my plan after this first set of Pirelli's wear out
Supposedly the Pirelli LM1 tires were specifically made for the Lucid to be quieter and handle better. Why would you switch to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, which aren't specifically made for the heavier EV car?

For some good ol all seasons unless pirelli releases some.

Supposedly the Pirelli LM1 tires were specifically made for the Lucid to be quieter and handle better. Why would you switch to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, which aren't specifically made for the heavier EV car?

I believe the 20-inch wheels are going to use tires from Michelin's EV series which, like the Pirelli tires, are specifically engineered for electric vehicles:

I believe the 20-inch wheels are going to use tires from Michelin's EV series which, like the Pirelli tires, are specifically engineered for electric vehicles:

But the main question is will the Michelin's EV series tire handle the additional weight required for the Lucid?

That article specifically states it is for 19" wheels.
I am planning on the 21 inch wheels and buying a dedicated pair of snow tires and (after market) wheels. Has anyone in the snow belt put on, or considered a dedicated snow set up?

But the main question is will the Michelin's EV series tire handle the additional weight required for the Lucid?

I'm fairly certain Lucid would not sell these tires as OE on the 20-inch Air wheels if they were not rated for all the demands of the car.

That article specifically states it is for 19" wheels.

That article was from early 2021, just as the tires were being released. Michelin has since released the tire in a 20" size and states that each version of the tire is custom-tailored for the vehicle for which it is intended.

I am planning on the 21 inch wheels and buying a dedicated pair of snow tires and (after market) wheels. Has anyone in the snow belt put on, or considered a dedicated snow set up?

AFAIK, no winter tires exist yet for the 21”.

I am looking for a 19 inch wheel and snow tire set up that I will use in winter. I have ordered my car with 21" performance tires for summer. I never put snow tires on OEM wheels -- always use a dedicated set of wheels/tires for winter.

You’re gonna love it. It really does drive incredibly well.

Also I hate the turn signal sound. It’s just a little too high pitched, haha. I’ve complained about it and when you get your car you should too and maybe they’ll make it less annoying if we all mention it :p
I recall hating the turn signal as well during my test drive.

Back