EV Newb with GT on order and High Anxiety šŸ˜¬

Leftlane

Cars
911 Turbo, Cayenne GTS
Hi all - totally new to even the idea of going EV, and appreciate all the great info on this site. My neighbor recently got his Rivian R1S delivered - after checking it out, not for me. Coworker took me around in his Model S Plaid - supreme fun, dated appearance, but strong charging network. I like different so I checked out Lucid and found their specials on 23s, devoured every review I could find, read a ton of threads on here, etc etc. Can I ask a few possibly ignorant questions? The ordering websites arenā€™t exactly filled with any details or many pictures, which didnā€™t stop me from ordering even though Iā€™ve never even driven one (test drive scheduled for 2/21).

1. The GT I ordered is Cosmos Silver with Santa Cruz, 20ā€ wheels, glass canopy. The special includes DD Pro and SS Pro - do I have to also pay a subscription, or is it like it either has it or it doesnā€™t?
2. I love the range but the threads about charging, especially at EA, has me nervous for road trips across Texas. I will get the home charger (now $1000 off!), but I do a lot of driving between SA-Dallas, SA-Houston, etc. so Iā€™ll need the charging infrastructure oftenā€¦.and Iā€™ve been told no free charging anymore. Is it gonna cost me more than gas when Iā€™m away from home?
3. I guess the delivery process has changed, because my options are to go to Dallas or Houston for delivery, or it will be dropped off at my house in San Antonio where Iā€™ll do a virtual delivery - not a huge fan of that. Seems like others had an at home delivery with a real person no matter where they were. Any experience with the virtual version?
4. SiriusXM- Iā€™m a little confused on what is in the car. I have had satellite radio since it started and donā€™t want to go without now - do I stream from the app on my phone or is it like any other (even low end) car that has Sirius as a source?
5. Service - there is a service center in Austin about an hour away - will the mobile service come to me? I honestly donā€™t have the time to take it to them and coordinate how Iā€™m getting home.
6. I went with the GT because I know my personality flaws and I get envious if I know there is a better version out there - Sapphire doesnā€™t count for me because I would never spend that much on a car. I like the range, power etc but is the GT overkill for my first foray into EV world? Itā€™s really the range more than the goodies that got me.
7. I found a 2022 Model S Plaid loaded up and low miles near me for half the price of when it was new - I couldnā€™t stop giggling the entire time I drove it. It is tempting to spend way less and have it today, hence all my questions right this minute before I do something stupid šŸ˜œ

Right now I daily drive a Cayenne GTS w/150k miles on it that has been rock solid, and I have a 911 Turbo cab as my fun car. Do I need the insane performance in an EV too? I think I do, but I think a lot of dumb things. My 911 is tuned and is very fast, but that Plaid was on another level. Taycan is a non starter due to price and range.

Overall I want to be excited about my car 100% of the time. Itā€™s a lot of money and I hate boring. Iā€™m asking on the Lucid forum and not on Tesla forums for a reason - I think this is the right car for me but have a few hangups that maybe shouldnā€™t be a big deal at all (charging, audio, software, etc). I promise I have searched and read everything on here for the last 2 weeks so please be gentle - I think my head is in the right place. Thanks for indulging me on my very first post.

Hi all - totally new to even the idea of going EV, and appreciate all the great info on this site. My neighbor recently got his Rivian R1S delivered - after checking it out, not for me. Coworker took me around in his Model S Plaid - supreme fun, dated appearance, but strong charging network. I like different so I checked out Lucid and found their specials on 23s, devoured every review I could find, read a ton of threads on here, etc etc. Can I ask a few possibly ignorant questions? The ordering websites arenā€™t exactly filled with any details or many pictures, which didnā€™t stop me from ordering even though Iā€™ve never even driven one (test drive scheduled for 2/21).

1. The GT I ordered is Cosmos Silver with Santa Cruz, 20ā€ wheels, glass canopy. The special includes DD Pro and SS Pro - do I have to also pay a subscription, or is it like it either has it or it doesnā€™t?
2. I love the range but the threads about charging, especially at EA, has me nervous for road trips across Texas. I will get the home charger (now $1000 off!), but I do a lot of driving between SA-Dallas, SA-Houston, etc. so Iā€™ll need the charging infrastructure oftenā€¦.and Iā€™ve been told no free charging anymore. Is it gonna cost me more than gas when Iā€™m away from home?
3. I guess the delivery process has changed, because my options are to go to Dallas or Houston for delivery, or it will be dropped off at my house in San Antonio where Iā€™ll do a virtual delivery - not a huge fan of that. Seems like others had an at home delivery with a real person no matter where they were. Any experience with the virtual version?
4. SiriusXM- Iā€™m a little confused on what is in the car. I have had satellite radio since it started and donā€™t want to go without now - do I stream from the app on my phone or is it like any other (even low end) car that has Sirius as a source?
5. Service - there is a service center in Austin about an hour away - will the mobile service come to me? I honestly donā€™t have the time to take it to them and coordinate how Iā€™m getting home.
6. I went with the GT because I know my personality flaws and I get envious if I know there is a better version out there - Sapphire doesnā€™t count for me because I would never spend that much on a car. I like the range, power etc but is the GT overkill for my first foray into EV world? Itā€™s really the range more than the goodies that got me.
7. I found a 2022 Model S Plaid loaded up and low miles near me for half the price of when it was new - I couldnā€™t stop giggling the entire time I drove it. It is tempting to spend way less and have it today, hence all my questions right this minute before I do something stupid šŸ˜œ

Right now I daily drive a Cayenne GTS w/150k miles on it that has been rock solid, and I have a 911 Turbo cab as my fun car. Do I need the insane performance in an EV too? I think I do, but I think a lot of dumb things. My 911 is tuned and is very fast, but that Plaid was on another level. Taycan is a non starter due to price and range.

Overall I want to be excited about my car 100% of the time. Itā€™s a lot of money and I hate boring. Iā€™m asking on the Lucid forum and not on Tesla forums for a reason - I think this is the right car for me but have a few hangups that maybe shouldnā€™t be a big deal at all (charging, audio, software, etc). I promise I have searched and read everything on here for the last 2 weeks so please be gentle - I think my head is in the right place. Thanks for indulging me on my very first post.
This is my first EV and I was nervous too! Itā€™s my daily driver and Iā€™ve taken it on one long distance trip. EA had worked for me flawlessly on the several times Iā€™ve used DCFC. All other charging is done at home.

There are a lot of helpful people on here that can address all of your questions, but the best thing about this car is that it is quite literally a Supercar disguised as a sedan! Best car Iā€™ve ever driven.

@Tesla2.0 is in Texas as well so he can probably give you some good advice for your region too.

Enjoy your new car! Any hiccup that may happen is still 100% worth owning this car :)

The Air GT is my first EV too. I came from 2 plug-in hybrids (BMW 530 and Volvo XC90), so I was already familiar with home charging. I have had zero regrets about the purchase, so I think you'll be happy given your current vehicles. To answer your questions:
1. DD Pro and SS Pro require specific hardware, so once you select them on your car, they're yours forever. No subscriptions (at this point anyway).
2. The GT range is definitely more than T or P. The 20s will diminish your range compared to the 19s, but they look so much better. As long as you keep your speeds reasonable (ie 75 or lower), you should be able to make it to Dallas and Houston without charging, but I hear that speeding like there's no tomorrow is thing in TX, so I'll have to defer to the other Texans here as to how realistic that would actually be. That being said, I haven't had any serious issues with EA here in California, but we have more stations than anyone else.
3. I think they switched to virtual delivery quite a long time ago. I picked mine up in person, so I can't comment on the virtual experience. My suggestion would to be as familiar with the vehicle as possible before delivery. Read as much as you can on the forum. Read the manual. Watch Youtube videos, etc.
4. Sirius is streaming (app-based), with no satellite receiver in the car. Sirius treats the Air like a new car for your account, so you'd have to transfer your other account, or add an account to use it.
5. I live 3+ hours from my closest service center and they've done most of my visit via mobile service. The couple of times it needed more done, they work with you to get to the service center and back. I dropped it off once when we were already going to be in LA and they gave me a loaner and drove my car back to me. They also have the ability to transport on a flat bed or in an enclosed trailer.
6. I was going to get the Touring, but production delays and my desire to get the car ASAP made me upgrade to the GT and I haven't regretted it once.
7. I was never interested in a Tesla - everyone and their mothers have one, especially here in CA. Lucids are still rare and unique, and a true luxury car.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Clarifying, SiriusXM is an app in the car. You donā€™t need your phone, but it is just streaming rather than satellite.
For #6, I got a Touring because Iā€™m truly waiting for the Gravity and didnā€™t feel like I needed to go for the GT as a temp. If I regret anything, itā€™s not just spending the little bit extra for a GT anyway. This car is great, and having even more great would be so worth it. Especially for massage seats, which were not available on ā€˜23 Tourings.

Great responses - thank you. Another question - are massaging seats standard on the GT? Is the GT pretty much loaded to the gills with everything? I think Lucid could use some help on their website with more info on the cars - the site leaves a lot out, and I ordered without knowing a lot of details. By the way, I can get on a highway around Austin that has an 85mph limit - and you better be in the right hand lane if you are only going 85. I do like to go fast, hence the need for maximum range. Anyone in San Antonio that would be willing to show me their car in return for Starbucks or a beer on me? Iā€™ve never seen one around here (part of the appeal), and barely spent 3 minutes in one at a studio in Cali.

Is the NEMA charging cord for a 240 outlet included, or just the regular 120? With the current deal Iā€™ll get the level 2 charger for sure, but just wondering.

Another option for SiriusXM is to just connect the streaming app on your phone to the car via CarPlay. If you do that, you don't need a separate subscription for the car.

Hello, Leftlane. Based on your post, I think the GT is the most suitable choice for you. I have a Touring because at the time of purchase it seemed to be the sweet spot for features and price. But now a year later, I see the advantages of a GT and the price has dropped as well. I echo all the points Neurio made. The only thing I would expand on is that EA charging stations (or any charging station) is really only an issue for road trips. Your GT has a realistic range of about 400 miles on a 100% charge. The vast majority of charging should occur at home. If you are worried about range, choosing 19" rims will extend it about 40 miles over 20" or 21" rims.

I am in Dallas, first EV also.

The Touring seems to have enough range that I should be able to get to OKC or Austin, and will have to deal with charging once there. I'm road tripping infrequently enough that I think that's fine, but I too still have some worry about if it's gonna be annoying. General understanding/hope is that basically quarter on quarter, charging gets better and better and more accessible so it's only up from here.

LOVE the car. And the ease of home charging for 99% of the time of use.

Great responses - thank you. Another question - are massaging seats standard on the GT? Is the GT pretty much loaded to the gills with everything? I think Lucid could use some help on their website with more info on the cars - the site leaves a lot out, and I ordered without knowing a lot of details. By the way, I can get on a highway around Austin that has an 85mph limit - and you better be in the right hand lane if you are only going 85. I do like to go fast, hence the need for maximum range. Anyone in San Antonio that would be willing to show me their car in return for Starbucks or a beer on me? Iā€™ve never seen one around here (part of the appeal), and barely spent 3 minutes in one at a studio in Cali.

Is the NEMA charging cord for a 240 outlet included, or just the regular 120? With the current deal Iā€™ll get the level 2 charger for sure, but just wondering.
The included EVSE has both a NEMA 14-50 (220V) plug and the 110V plug.

As others have suggested, the GT will probably be a good fit for you. I think you can theoretically order one without massaging seats, but if you think you'll keep the car at leqdt a few years you should go for all the extra options, IMO.

Last edited:
You have excellent taste (Cosmos Silver / Santa Cruz / GT)

Don't read the posts before about the middle of 2023...the car is entirely sorted now, and gets better with every update.
EA is better now as well.

You got a heck of a deal...I paid full price for everything, including the Betty Boop. I'm happy for you.

If you do the math, the Lucid is cheap to operate, even if you have to pay to charge on a trip. Say you buy 100 kWh at EA ... at 50 cents/kWh
(Idon't know what they charge...I'm still free ) and you go 400 mi. So you spent $50 on fuel for the Lucid.

Let's say you get 40 mpg in your Cayenne and go 400 miles = 10 gallons of cheap Texas gasoline ... what is it there $2.50 / gallon for premium?
(again, I haven't even been to a gas station in nearly two years, so I have no idea what gasoline costs now).
So yeah, you spent twice as much on fuel to drive the Lucid over the Cayenne.

So home charging ( I pay 22 cents / kWh using the Betty Boop )....makes it $ 22 to go 400 mi. in the Lucid. Now it's cheaper. Good idea to buy a home charger...plus...every morning you have a full tank. So to be fair, let's add the cost of putting a 500 gallon gasoline storage tank at your home, so owning a Cayenne is as convenient as owning a Lucid. Now you can buy gasoline in bulk...better price.

Home delivery. Highly recommended. Fantastic experience. I was so excited I did not hear a word the delivery agent said. Every Lucid rep. I've met is wonderful (I have no idea...way to excited to pay any attention to them). So yeah, a "virtual" delivery agent is same same....probably better.
If you have questions just come here or go to Bobby's site ... I forget what he calls it. Bobby?

Sirus XM: If you don't much care for music, and like random chimes that do not seem to have a reason or source...fine. Most folk don't listen to music anyway.

If you do like music, get the Tidal subscription. Slam dunk. I believe I've logged 20 hours or so sitting in the Lucid, at 2 AM in the closed garage with the seat/cabin heat on (try that with the Cayenne), listening to music. I am not the only one who does this. It's that good. Seriously...the car with the Dolby and the Tidal is an audiophile dedicated acoustically-tuned listening room. There are several audio experts on this site. I can only remember Bunny Lebowski ... look for his posts about music / acoustics. By the way, if you do like music, the sweet spot in the car is the center rear seat ( nod to Babby Rocco ).

I agree with your rational for getting the GT. I never thought I'd spend this much on a car, but here's my reasoning: I got a multi-million dollar car, that out-performs everything, for nothing. You can't look at the Lucid as a car. The technology under the sheet metal is mind-boggling. I used to accept a challange with the Merc E63s... because it was a wagon and a sleeper. I don't feel the need with the Lucid...it's just not sporting. So I sold the E63s and the SL600. No regrets. Easy to forget the Lucid is a supercar...so quiet and comfortable. I took my sisters on a 100 mile road trip...five people in the car... try that in any vehicle that also does the quarter mile with a Lucid GT time.

so ... you did the right thing.

do the home delivery, then come back here and tell us about it.

s

reading Neurio's post I forgot about the speeds on Texas highways. Speed really kills your range. I've a set of 21" summer rubber and a set of 19" winter rubber and swap them out myself ( thank you Lucid for giving me the TPMS swap ! The updates are fantastic!)

So if you can live with it, get into the right lane (ha ha), set the Adaptive Cruse to 75, and relax. You have to adapt. If you see a Porsche in the rearview, just know you can blow his doors off at any speed. You don't need to prove it. (ok, maybe once or twice )

I love the replies and the enthusiasm for the car from everyone. Iā€™m always hesitant with change in general, hence my anxiety. And by the way - I only wish premium gas was $2.50 in Texas - I pay on average about $3.60 for 93 and I have a 20 gallon tank, so about $75 gets me around 400 miles (and $300 oil changes arenā€™t fun either). Looking at my utility provider here, I think I get charged .075/kw if I am understanding this right:

MONTHLY BILL
Rate
$ 9.50 Service Availability Charge
Energy Charge
$ 0.07503 Per kWh for all kWh
Peak Capacity Charge*
$ 0.02150 Per kWh for all kWh in excess of 600 kWh
*Peak Capacity Charge is applicable only during the summer billing period (June - September).

Honestly Iā€™m not concerned about the delta in the ā€œfuelā€ costs as much as I am the hassle factor and the range anxiety, which probably isnā€™t warranted. I am looking for a pleasurable exciting experience without a lot of stress - but then I guess so is everyone else. šŸ˜œ

While I agree wholeheartedly with Cosmo, let me update his numbers for you. Cayenne highway mpg - 23(that's for the V6, V8 is worse). Average cost of premium gas in Houston $3.60. Cost to drive 400 miles
= $62.00...

While I agree wholeheartedly with Cosmo, let me update his numbers for you. Cayenne highway mpg - 23(that's for the V6, V8 is worse). Average cost of premium gas in Houston $3.60. Cost to drive 400 miles
= $62.00...

I'm using Edmunds numbers and math. (inside joke)

The whole thing is bogus. You can not compare the Lucid experience with any other vehicle.

Also, even at 100% charge, you will not get 400 miles at Texas highway speed. Speed kills. Lucid speed obliterates.

Subscription is not available for hardware, either you have it or you donā€™t. However, there are other subscription. Supposedly, Lucid should charge 5G internet connection as monthly SIM card service, so far it hasnā€™t happened. There is also Tidal subscription, I highly recommended to SSPro to enjoy best of Dolby ATMOS.

Home charging is must and best part about EV, it acts just as charging your phone effortlessly at night. You will be fine going to Houston without charge, Dallas may need one charge if you drive more than 85 mph. Just donā€™t go south of SA as it is still DCFC charging void.

As far as fear of charge, donā€™t be, just download EA and EVGo app and put credit card info in, plug in and then open app to activate dispenser. You can also download Tesla app as there is a Tesla station in Fort Worth with MagicDock.
AB1B3292-2B98-4C73-BE9D-B64494126535.jpeg

Never done a virtual. I live 45 minutes from Houston Service Center, I couldnā€™t wait to be delivered and went directly pick up myself.

Stream directly from carā€™s SIM card, areas with cellular service signal is required.

Yes, mobile service can come to you, but usually book few days ahead. They are busy driving around Texas bundling geographical region I believe.

It is good if you can get as much range as you can from the start. Battery do degrade as time goes on, first 2 years is worst degradation, then it will slow slope out.

Itā€™s not a bad car, itā€™s software UI is appealing, but to me the built quality is not to be desired and build materials donā€™t age well as I watched many Tesla ownersā€™ review on YouTube.

Lucid Air is a great first EV. Itā€™s very sporty, yet it is very elegant. Itā€™s cabin space drwarf what Taycan offers. Space is luxury.

....Looking at my utility provider here, I think I get charged .075/kw if I am understanding this right:

MONTHLY BILL
Rate
$ 9.50 Service Availability Charge
Energy Charge
$ 0.07503 Per kWh for all kWh
Peak Capacity Charge*
$ 0.02150 Per kWh for all kWh in excess of 600 kWh
*Peak Capacity Charge is applicable only during the summer billing period (June - September).
If you are really paying 7.5 cents per kWh at home, that's about 2 cents per mile in the Air GT. The equivalent of a 180mpg car, with 819 horsepower.
You'll find that driving an EV is much less hassle than a gar car, except for road trips. You start every day at home with a full tank (OK, 80% full), with no need to visit a gas station, ever. And EV maintenance is a fraction of what you're used to - once per year, and no oil changes/brakes/coolant/timing belt.

You all rock. BTW, I test drove an EQS 450+ today - that was very underwhelming. Itā€™s a mishmash inside and it was considerably louder than I expected. Yes itā€™s smooth, and they are offering some great deals, but I donā€™t even like the look of it. I sure hope Iā€™m blown away on Wednesday at 3:30 CST when I finally get to drive an Air. šŸ˜Ž

You may find you need some chocolate chip cookies.

Look for them about 100 miles from home.

Also, for those who have not gone all-in: get a home charger...pays for itself in a few months.
Iā€™ll add solar to that as well, since in a few years it pays off and saves more energy on the actual house too!

Iā€™ll add solar to that as well, since in a few years it pays off and saves more energy on the actual house too!
Where can you get solar that pays off in a few years?

Back