EV Newb with GT on order and High Anxiety 😬

I mean I would agree that the cameras aren’t better than maybe some other EVs that he recently test drove. I noticed quite a difference when I swapped.

Lucid also hasn’t made huge improvements in that department since 2022 and the hardware was locked in much earlier than that. So we are probably dealing with cameras that were good but 3-4 years ago. Again other EV manufacturers just upgraded their whole camera suite.
I’m curious which EVs have cameras equal to or exceeding the upgraded camera in the DD Pro or Prenium? I might have missed that.

The test drive was a GT on 21s, so I’m assuming Pirellis. I didn’t really pay attention to the condition of the tires to be honest. It might have been nothing but it felt strange to me - not in a bad way, just different. And this GT was totally loaded with SSP and DDP - we even sampled the HA and it made me very nervous when it got super close to the truck next to me - this is just not being used to it and trusting it. The sound system was incredible. What I meant by the cameras wasn’t that the quality wasn’t good, but the use and placement of the visuals in the car wasn’t optimal while driving, although the 360 view rocked.

Of course I was totally aware of the charging network and was trying to rationalize that it would still be fine. After my trip this week and paying attention to Plugshare the whole way I realized it wasn’t going to work for me. Let’s face it - I could have decided it was a terrible car after just reading about all the issues various people have had and never driven it at all, but I know everyone has a different perception of what they value.

All that, and you are now colored and confused. 😁

I’m curious which EVs have cameras equal to or exceeding the upgraded camera in the DD Pro or Prenium? I might have missed that.
The forbidden EV maker just swapped over to HW4 cameras and look pretty dang good visually. Although after reading OPs follow up, he really just meant placement where as my comment was mostly directed towards the blinker cameras mounted to the side mirrors which tend to be pretty fuzzy.

Thanks for the clarification. Personally I don’t trust any ‘self driving’ systems. My 2017 MS tried killing me on several occasions. It seemed to have a love for cement construction barriers and it always wanted to take a close look…real close. I stopped using it after getting the message. :)

@koflo, I agree the turn signal camera resolution is not great and probably just a bit better than my old Sonata Hybrid with similar cameras. I thought you were talking about the other cameras like the 360 unit.

The test drive was a GT on 21s, so I’m assuming Pirellis. I didn’t really pay attention to the condition of the tires to be honest. It might have been nothing but it felt strange to me - not in a bad way, just different. And this GT was totally loaded with SSP and DDP - we even sampled the HA and it made me very nervous when it got super close to the truck next to me - this is just not being used to it and trusting it. The sound system was incredible. What I meant by the cameras wasn’t that the quality wasn’t good, but the use and placement of the visuals in the car wasn’t optimal while driving, although the 360 view rocked.

Of course I was totally aware of the charging network and was trying to rationalize that it would still be fine. After my trip this week and paying attention to Plugshare the whole way I realized it wasn’t going to work for me. Let’s face it - I could have decided it was a terrible car after just reading about all the issues various people have had and never driven it at all, but I know everyone has a different perception of what they value.

Might be a long shot but I noticed on the GT that the pedal calibration isn’t as reactive as some others as well. It’s possible that maybe the lag of the pedal made you feel like the tires weren’t moving or that you were slipping slightly. I’ve never felt the slipping of tires but whenever I get into the GT loaners I always feel like the pedal calibration is slightly less reactive then I want it to be.

Might be a long shot but I noticed on the GT that the pedal calibration isn’t as reactive as some others as well. It’s possible that maybe the lag of the pedal made you feel like the tires weren’t moving or that you were slipping slightly. I’ve never felt the slipping of tires but whenever I get into the GT loaners I always feel like the pedal calibration is slightly less reactive then I want it to be.
It is, especially compared to the DEP.

If you need range , nothing beats the Lucid.....and having owned the car a year, I still love the feeling when I drive the car. Absoultely fabulous vehicle. A 10-15 minute drive doesn't do it justice. As you get more comfortable and used to the power and handling, you slowly realize its an amazing feat of engineering. The suppleness over bumps without air suspension, the instant power, balance, handling as you take fast turns, perfect calibration of the regen braking ( not replicated or surpassed by any other EV manufacturer )- the thought that went into engineering this car is mind boggling. Taking a 10 minute test drive doesnt cut it. You need to get comfortable with the car, as with any car. I can test drive a Mercedes S class AMG and not be enthralled by it, but if I drove the car 1-2k miles, and gotten comfortable with it, I am sure I would love it.

Did you know that the rear diffuser starts at the b-pillar?? Now that is whats called an engineering marvel.

I've owned many cars, this is the only one where even after 14 months of ownership, I still feel enthralled by it. Thank you Peter Rawlinson!

But again, if EV doesn't work it's understandable. But when you do decide to get one, don't forget Lucid! Its the BEST out there!

I thought I would share why I decided to cancel my order and pass on Lucid for the time being after my test drive this week. Let me qualify it by saying I really think Lucid has the makings of a category killer but I came to the realization that it is not for me at this time. I also fully acknowledge my impressions are mine alone and could very well be wrong compared to what many others think, but since I’m the one scratching the check, my impressions take precedence in this particular case.😜
Thanks for the really thoughtful post! A few comments about a couple things:

2. The software in the test drive car (GT) was laggy and I didn’t like the inability to split the screens for navigation and music. Seems weird that you can do some combos but not others.
Not sure what happened here - it definitely isn’t laggy for me. The ability to split the screens is something I very much want as well.

3. The electric whine was pretty pronounced and not for me.
This seems to be a love it/hate it thing. I’ve loved it ever since they sampled the original Tesla Roadster for the Batmobile bike sound, so I’m so happy they left it in. It gives the car a tiny bit of soul I miss from an ICE car, and feels futuristic at the same time.

That said, it’s not silence, and I respect that a lot of people like silence.

4. Yes the car flat out moves in all modes, especially in Sprint, but the sensation of all four wheels “grabbing” at the pavement was a bit unsettling, like I just didn’t have traction. I’m sure I did, but the sensation was off. Maybe it was tire related.
This I legitimately am astounded by. I have never - I repeat, literally never - been able to get the 21s to skid without doing so very intentionally. They just plant, almost no matter what I try to do. I’m not sure what happened here, but it doesn’t echo my experience … ever, lol. I certainly believe it is what happened! Just really confused.

5. The lack of the turn signals not auto cancelling after a lane change is a miss and probably easily updated at some point with OTA updates.
They have two modes. A single click (about halfway) turns on the signal for 3 flashes and then turns it off. A full click turns it on until you turn it off.

7. The car is much larger feeling than I expected - I knew it was big but it felt large and in charge - not a negative, just an observation.
Yeah, this took me a lot of getting used to. I’m really used to smaller cars, but I figured out what was going on with the Lucid - it isn’t actually that much bigger. It’s certainly bigger, yes, than my previous cars - but it isn’t that much bigger.

However - the wheelbase is *way* wider. That affects the turning radius immensely, making it *feel* like a much bigger car when turning. That took me a while to get used to, but I did eventually.

9. I could never get comfy with the charging network - I drove to Dallas this week and passed several Buccee’s with 24-48 Tesla superchargers and plenty of open spots, while my Plugshare app could barely find any available “other” chargers. Maybe I was filtering wrong or interpreting wrong, but is a killer point for me.
Yeah, this depends on your location largely. I haven’t had any issues with it, but plenty of people have.

10. Last - I am concerned about Lucid existing long term, and the recent reports have not been promising. Yeah, Saudi $$, great engineering, etc - but I foresee necessary price cuts coming to get some volume and I see what Tesla did to their owners by killing the resale values with lots of cuts. Don’t blame them, maybe necessary to survive, but I expect some pain in the not too distant future.
🤷‍♂️

I buy the thing I want that fulfills my desires and needs at the time. Even if Lucid dies (which it won’t), it will just get bought. Then again, I bought the DE, and I didn’t do it because I was speculating it would get yet more valuable (though I wouldn’t have been upset if it did).

When I drove my friend’s Model S and thought about getting one, my wife introduced me to Lucid and ended up got Air instead. I have been Turo Model X several times on family trips and obsessed with the gullwings design, but ended up she influenced me to get Rivian R1S instead bc it has gorgeous Range Rover side profile. Then I had my eyes on Gravity, she told me ‘NO WAY JOSE’ bc we already have enough EV. Then I got into CyberTruck, she said if I get that abomination, we will have serious marital problem. Nevertheless, she then told me I may have Gravity next year if I don’t entertain anymore thought of CyberTruck. I asked why she has problem with Tesla, she said Elon is a terrible human being and animal abuser drilling holes on monkeys’ skulls, she doesn’t want to support their suffering. 😖
She who must be obeyed appears to be a wise woman!

I came from model S and I love this car. Most have answered your questions accurately and I agree with them.
1. GT gives you the range even with 20” it’s pretty impressive. Pro is more about hardware; no subscription. If it were they would have mentioned a period until which you could use it. Right now you have it with the car.

2. Public charging - I was also skeptical in the beginning but it’s not that bad. I have done Houston to Indianapolis with zero issues. Had to charge only 2 times :). EA costs around $0.45/kw and if you take their pass + monthly membership (6.99 pm) you get 20% discount on the rate. You have to do the math if that’s worth it. Home charging is the way to go. You need 220v 40-50amp (or 80amp) if you are going with Lucids home charger) which will work out much cheaper. Check your electricity bill for kw rate. You get ~4miles per KW during summer and should be around 2.8 to 3.2miles /kw in winter. And their mobile charger comes with different plugs to swap for 110v and 220v. Depends on what you get installed in the home for the charger.
3. Delivery - face to face is better. Houston is not far for you. I took delivery from Houston and drove it all the way and enjoyed it :). It’s worth the effort to be doing face to face so you can ask all your questions and also check out other cars there :).
4. SiriusXM- same as any other car. activate and use. Pls note though that the surround pro is carefully crafted and you necessarily don’t have the boom boom effect most would look for. But its clarity of music and ability to still have a sane conversation in cabin. I love it though many people seem to be unhappy about it. As some suggested tidal which has Dolby Atmos recordings is the best to hear in the car. Lot of low rumbles.
5. Service - not sure as I depend on mobile in Indy. But truly speaking EVs don’t have to be serviced like ICE cars. I had no service for my telsa unless I had some issues with the car during warranty period. It’s amazing. I didn’t go to service station as I am a little handy with stuff which I could take car myself on the car. Zero dollars spent on maintenance labor in last 4 years. I am sure thy is car will turn out the same given that the build quality is much better.

Overall I think GT is a good decision and it comes with all options available for the car from creature comfort perspective.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yeah interest rates are terrible right now so I think you want to be in a position to pay cash for it to be worth it.

We bought it outright, but true for others doing financing.

I meant return on investment (ROI). For me it came to 15 years just for break even considering electricity cost with 3% increase year on year vs investment with 8% as cost of capital. Solar panel has a lifetime which varies and I had looked at one which had 15 years.

Sorry about the confusion.

Back