EV Newb with GT on order and High Anxiety šŸ˜¬

Left a message for my advisor but thought someone here would know - can I add a referral code now even though I have already ordered? Might as well get someone some points and maybe get me a rebate.
Yup! You can do it any time before delivery/payment, I believe.

You're welcome to use mine! You can find it in my profile or on the sidebar next to my post. Any user who has listed their referral code in their profile will have their referral code in the sidebar next to any posts they make.

Cool thanks - my test drive is Wednesday but I have some free time tomorrow afternoon so Iā€™m gonna drop in to the studio to check stuff out. Maybe Iā€™ll be able to drive tomorrow too. Iā€™m doing my best to resist the Tesla Model S Plaid that I have test driven several times and that my wife likes! šŸ˜œ

Cool thanks - my test drive is Wednesday but I have some free time tomorrow afternoon so Iā€™m gonna drop in to the studio to check stuff out. Maybe Iā€™ll be able to drive tomorrow too. Iā€™m doing my best to resist the Tesla Model S Plaid that I have test driven several times and that my wife likes! šŸ˜œ
I hope she's taking the Air test drive too. She may change her opinion of the Plaid...

Your moment of revelation approaches! I still remember how blown away I was during my test drive. I think you'll appreciate the approaches Lucid took in regards to driving dynamics and interior feel.

Funny thing, my appreciation for the Air grew considerably after owning it, compared to the few short test drives I did.

Funny thing, my appreciation for the Air grew considerably after owning it, compared to the few short test drives I did.

I second this. I put off buying a Tesla for a decade, because I just did not like the interior, and since the first ones it's only gotten worse.
This shouldn't have anything to do with what car you buy, but when the company leader showed his colors I stopped looking at any Tesla.

When I heard about Lucid I read everything I could, bought some stock, then tried to get on the Dream Edition list: was too late. So while waiting for my GT to be built I drove up to Short Hills, NY for a test drive.

It was much easier to adapt (first EV) to driving an EV than I expected. Once on the road it was so easy, so quiet, so smooth. It really is a luxury car. The interior suits my style (long-time Volvo owner).

But Deane really hit it: " ... considerably..." is correct. You could also say, " massively ".

You could also say, the ownership experience starts at outstanding, and keeps getting better.

I second this. I put off buying a Tesla for a decade, because I just did not like the interior, and since the first ones it's only gotten worse.
This shouldn't have anything to do with what car you buy, but when the company leader showed his colors I stopped looking at any Tesla.

When I heard about Lucid I read everything I could, bought some stock, then tried to get on the Dream Edition list: was too late. So while waiting for my GT to be built I drove up to Short Hills, NY for a test drive.

It was much easier to adapt (first EV) to driving an EV than I expected. Once on the road it was so easy, so quiet, so smooth. It really is a luxury car. The interior suits my style (long-time Volvo owner).

But Deane really hit it: " ... considerably..." is correct. You could also say, " massively ".

You could also say, the ownership experience starts at outstanding, and keeps getting better.
Are you sure Cosmo? Some of us around here remember some of your early posts about the car, šŸ¤£

Sneaking away for my test drive on a business trip so going solo - but honestly she goes along with whatever. Been married 30 years and she knows whatā€™s up šŸ˜œ
When I drove my friendā€™s Model S and thought about getting one, my wife introduced me to Lucid and ended up got Air instead. I have been Turo Model X several times on family trips and obsessed with the gullwings design, but ended up she influenced me to get Rivian R1S instead bc it has gorgeous Range Rover side profile. Then I had my eyes on Gravity, she told me ā€˜NO WAY JOSEā€™ bc we already have enough EV. Then I got into CyberTruck, she said if I get that abomination, we will have serious marital problem. Nevertheless, she then told me I may have Gravity next year if I donā€™t entertain anymore thought of CyberTruck. I asked why she has problem with Tesla, she said Elon is a terrible human being and animal abuser drilling holes on monkeysā€™ skulls, she doesnā€™t want to support their suffering. šŸ˜–

When I drove my friendā€™s Model S and thought about getting one, my wife introduced me to Lucid and ended up got Air instead. I have been Turo Model X several times on family trips and obsessed with the gullwings design, but ended up she influenced me to get Rivian R1S instead bc it has gorgeous Range Rover side profile. Then I had my eyes on Gravity, she told me ā€˜NO WAY JOSEā€™ bc we already have enough EV. Then I got into CyberTruck, she said if I get that abomination, we will have serious marital problem. Nevertheless, she then told me I may have Gravity next year if I donā€™t entertain anymore thought of CyberTruck. I asked why she has problem with Tesla, she said Elon is a terrible human being and animal abuser drilling holes on monkeysā€™ skulls, she doesnā€™t want to support their suffering. šŸ˜–
Unhappy wife, miserable life.

Are you sure Cosmo? Some of us around here remember some of your early posts about the car, šŸ¤£

Hey, that was two years ago. My car was built during the Covid supply-chain debacle. Manufacturers were scrambling for alternate suppliers, not just end-manufactures, but the suppliers to the manufacturers of the components that went into the end product.

My "bug" (that caused the foaming rants i regret i posted) turned out to be a control module, that was devilishly installed behind the glove box, which could not be opened because the faulty module also controlled the glove box switch, else the Mobile Tech. could have replaced it then and there. car was trucked to their service shop in VA where it was taken apart, module replaced, updated, tested, and sorted.

Also, during the week my car was getting wrapped, before I even drove it, it had missed a couple of over-the-air updates. So, not Lucid's fault; the owner is an idiot. Please look for the update star next to the cog (I likely missed updates from the get-go, because I (newbee ) did not notice the update star next to the cog icon ...way too excited ... just driving the car obliviously, until the car had had enough of me.

the Mobile Service was quite fun. Recommended. Am overdue for annual service. Lucky for me the King of Prussia center is due to open (soon?)

Since the faulty module was replaced, the car has been flawless. (build Sept. 2022; now have blissful 12,000 miles)

Just want to be clear to those reading the slur posted my hydro bob ... do not read anyone's complaint posts before mid-2023:
it's not that car anymore.
The early builds are sorted, and the new ones have all the advantage of experience ... ( I thought I was done with cars ... then the Sapphire ... be still my beating heart).

I love reading the posts here. Some of the folk leak out a bit of personality...so it's always a joy to meet these folk on line. Some day I hope to meet and chat with these "known" Lucid owners...they seem to be such an erudite, quick=witted bunch. Lots of learning, lots of laughs.

Hey, that was two years ago. My car was built during the Covid supply-chain debacle. Manufacturers were scrambling for alternate suppliers, not just end-manufactures, but the suppliers to the manufacturers of the components that went into the end product.

My "bug" (that caused the foaming rants i regret i posted) turned out to be a control module, that was devilishly installed behind the glove box, which could not be opened because the faulty module also controlled the glove box switch, else the Mobile Tech. could have replaced it then and there. car was trucked to their service shop in VA where it was taken apart, module replaced, updated, tested, and sorted.

Also, during the week my car was getting wrapped, before I even drove it, it had missed a couple of over-the-air updates. So, not Lucid's fault; the owner is an idiot. Please look for the update star next to the cog (I likely missed updates from the get-go, because I (newbee ) did not notice the update star next to the cog icon ...way too excited ... just driving the car obliviously, until the car had had enough of me.

the Mobile Service was quite fun. Recommended. Am overdue for annual service. Lucky for me the King of Prussia center is due to open (soon?)

Since the faulty module was replaced, the car has been flawless. (build Sept. 2022; now have blissful 12,000 miles)

Just want to be clear to those reading the slur posted my hydro bob ... do not read anyone's complaint posts before mid-2023:
it's not that car anymore.
The early builds are sorted, and the new ones have all the advantage of experience ... ( I thought I was done with cars ... then the Sapphire ... be still my beating heart).
Why, how dare you sir!

I like your wife.

I thought I would share why I decided to cancel my order and pass on Lucid for the time being after my test drive this week. Let me qualify it by saying I really think Lucid has the makings of a category killer but I came to the realization that it is not for me at this time. I also fully acknowledge my impressions are mine alone and could very well be wrong compared to what many others think, but since Iā€™m the one scratching the check, my impressions take precedence in this particular case.šŸ˜œ

1. Iā€™m not tall, and I could not get comfy in the drivers seat with my arm rested on the top of the door - itā€™s too far away for me. If I was bigger/wider it would work. Not an issue with the car at all, because the space is incredible, but Iā€™m just too small to feel like I fit correctly.
2. The software in the test drive car (GT) was laggy and I didnā€™t like the inability to split the screens for navigation and music. Seems weird that you can do some combos but not others.
3. The electric whine was pretty pronounced and not for me.
4. Yes the car flat out moves in all modes, especially in Sprint, but the sensation of all four wheels ā€œgrabbingā€ at the pavement was a bit unsettling, like I just didnā€™t have traction. Iā€™m sure I did, but the sensation was off. Maybe it was tire related.
5. The lack of the turn signals not auto cancelling after a lane change is a miss and probably easily updated at some point with OTA updates. Also the camera views werenā€™t great on this car.
6. When I got the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors all set correctly, the wheel blocked a pretty good chunk of the panel right in front of me. Again, specific to me.
7. The car is much larger feeling than I expected - I knew it was big but it felt large and in charge - not a negative, just an observation.
8. I determined that the way I use my cars is two-fold: I drive a lot on long trips, and I need everything to work all the time. I guess this helped me come to the realization that I just wonā€™t be happy when things donā€™t work, and Iā€™ll probably be anxious about it. Again - this is me. Maybe not rational but it is real.
9. I could never get comfy with the charging network - I drove to Dallas this week and passed several Bucceeā€™s with 24-48 Tesla superchargers and plenty of open spots, while my Plugshare app could barely find any available ā€œotherā€ chargers. Maybe I was filtering wrong or interpreting wrong, but is a killer point for me.
10. Last - I am concerned about Lucid existing long term, and the recent reports have not been promising. Yeah, Saudi $$, great engineering, etc - but I foresee necessary price cuts coming to get some volume and I see what Tesla did to their owners by killing the resale values with lots of cuts. Donā€™t blame them, maybe necessary to survive, but I expect some pain in the not too distant future.

The product itself is gorgeous - in fact, there was a Touring in Fathom Blue with Stealth package in the showroom that was one of the best looking Iā€™ve ever seen.

Let me end by saying these are observations/issues that apply only to me - I really wanted to be absolutely blown out of the water this week but it isnā€™t quite there for me at this moment (for reasons specific to me). I really hope they succeed and would definitely revisit at a more established and mature level. Thanks to all here for the welcoming information and wealth of knowledge. The Air is a revelation that just wonā€™t work for me at this time. I hope this is coming across as intended.

I thought I would share why I decided to cancel my order and pass on Lucid for the time being after my test drive this week. Let me qualify it by saying I really think Lucid has the makings of a category killer but I came to the realization that it is not for me at this time. I also fully acknowledge my impressions are mine alone and could very well be wrong compared to what many others think, but since Iā€™m the one scratching the check, my impressions take precedence in this particular case.šŸ˜œ

1. Iā€™m not tall, and I could not get comfy in the drivers seat with my arm rested on the top of the door - itā€™s too far away for me. If I was bigger/wider it would work. Not an issue with the car at all, because the space is incredible, but Iā€™m just too small to feel like I fit correctly.
2. The software in the test drive car (GT) was laggy and I didnā€™t like the inability to split the screens for navigation and music. Seems weird that you can do some combos but not others.
4. Yes the car flat out moves in all modes, especially in Sprint, but the sensation of all four wheels ā€œgrabbingā€ at the pavement was a bit unsettling, like I just didnā€™t have traction. Iā€™m sure I did, but the sensation was off. Maybe it was tire related.
5. The lack of the turn signals not auto cancelling after a lane change is a miss and probably easily updated at some point with OTA updates. Also the camera views werenā€™t great on this car.
6. When I got the seat, steering wheel, and mirrors all set correctly, the wheel blocked a pretty good chunk of the panel right in front of me. Again, specific to me.
7. The car is much larger feeling than I expected - I knew it was big but it felt large and in charge - not a negative, just an observation.
8. I determined that the way I use my cars is two-fold: I drive a lot on long trips, and I need everything to work all the time. I guess this helped me come to the realization that I just wonā€™t be happy when things donā€™t work, and Iā€™ll probably be anxious about it. Again - this is me. Maybe not rational but it is real.
9. I could never get comfy with the charging network - I drove to Dallas this week and passed several Bucceeā€™s with 24-48 Tesla superchargers and plenty of open spots, while my Plugshare app could barely find any available ā€œotherā€ chargers. Maybe I was filtering wrong or interpreting wrong, but is a killer point for me.
10. Last - I am concerned about Lucid existing long term, and the recent reports have not been promising. Yeah, Saudi $$, great engineering, etc - but I foresee necessary price cuts coming to get some volume and I see what Tesla did to their owners by killing the resale values with lots of cuts. Donā€™t blame them, maybe necessary to survive, but I expect some pain in the not too distant future.

The product itself is gorgeous - in fact, there was a Touring in Fathom Blue with Stealth package in the showroom that was one of the best looking Iā€™ve ever seen.

Let me end by saying these are observations/issues that apply only to me - I really wanted to be absolutely blown out of the water this week but it isnā€™t quite there for me at this moment (for reasons specific to me). I really hope they succeed and would definitely revisit at a more established and mature level. Thanks to all here for the welcoming information and wealth of knowledge. The Air is a revelation that just wonā€™t work for me at this time. I hope this is coming across as intended.
Hey man, you donā€™t owe any of us an explanation but many of us definitely appreciate outsider thoughts. Yeah the software isnā€™t up to snuff and many of us are hoping that it will get there. But many of us signed up knowing that to be the case. So glad you test drove it before jumping in. Best of luck and if you go with the plaid, youā€™ll enjoy the hell of it. Both are phenomenal cars and maybe we will see you around in the coming years (or year if you make terrible financial decision like I do)!

I thought I would share why I decided to cancel my order and pass on Lucid for the time being after my test drive this week. Let me qualify it by saying I really think Lucid has the makings of a category killer but I came to the realization that it is not for me at this time...
Thoughtful and well written, thanks for closing the loop.

Very fair on all points, enjoy your next ride! I do have a question, do you know what tires the demo car had?

Iā€™m confused by 4, 5 & 9.

Iā€™ve never felt that feeling of all 4 wheels ā€˜grabbingā€™ and being unsettling. Color me confused.

For the camera views to be ā€˜not greatā€™, this had to be a car without DD Premium or Pro. Otherwise color me very confused.

As for 9, Iā€™m a bit surprised you werenā€™t aware of the charging network prior to the test drive. You could probably have saved yourself the time of the test drive if the charging network was a deal breaker. Although the Tesla charging network is obviously better, the car itself pales in comparison to the Lucid.

Most of the other observations are purely subjective and obviously not every car fits everyone, but at least you found that out prior to making your decision.

Good luck with what ever you wind up with.

Iā€™m confused by 4, 5 & 9.

Iā€™ve never felt that feeling of all 4 wheels ā€˜grabbingā€™ and being unsettling. Color me confused.

For the camera views to be ā€˜not greatā€™, this had to be a car without DD Premium or Pro. Otherwise color me very confused.

As for 9, Iā€™m a bit surprised you werenā€™t aware of the charging network prior to the test drive. You could probably have saved yourself the time of the test drive if the charging network was a deal breaker. Although the Tesla charging network is obviously better, the car itself pales in comparison to the Lucid.

Most of the other observations are purely subjective and obviously not every car fits everyone, but at least you found that out prior to making your decision.

Good luck with what ever you wind up with.
I mean I would agree that the cameras arenā€™t better than maybe some other EVs that he recently test drove. I noticed quite a difference when I swapped.

Lucid also hasnā€™t made huge improvements in that department since 2022 and the hardware was locked in much earlier than that. So we are probably dealing with cameras that were good but 3-4 years ago. Again other EV manufacturers just upgraded their whole camera suite.

Back