EV Newb with GT on order and High Anxiety 😬

Nice! Mitch I’d love to check out your car if you are close by me - I’m near Stone Oak - any chance you are in this area?
I’m in Boerne/Leon springs but you’re not far from me. I will message you when I get back in town.

I wonder also if you're going to love the glass canopy in Texas sun and heat. I drove both a glass canopy and metal roof locally here before deciding that the metal roof was my preferred choice, even if they had been the same price... a nice bonus was the big cost savings on the metal.

For me, having owned glass-roof Teslas, they do feel a little more "open" inside, and they have more of the "wow" factor for passengers, but not dramatically so... not enough to warrant the big increase in residual heat when driving and especially when parked (which will also affect your range as you may well need more A/C usage in the glass roof). And I live in temperate Northern California, so not that hot in the summer compared to Texas.

When i finally got the chance to drive the metal roof Touring before making my final choices, it didn't feel claustrophobic, and (OK, wading into controversy here) I really don't like the two-tone exterior look of the Air with the glass canopy. Much prefer the body-colored pillars and roof surrounds. However, I have a Zenith Red, which is dark, and the two-tone look is definitely more prominent on the darker colors and less offensive (to me) on the lighter colors like your light blue. Again, may be worth playing with the configurator to judge the exterior look for yourself on the two roofs if that matters much to you. Just something to consider...

Thanks Josh - that is a good point and I figured I would get a tint and the Lucid sunshade because if next summer is like last summer here (79 days over 100 degrees!) I will be a rotisserie chicken in no time at all. Does the metal roof have a sunroof or is it solid?

BTW - I like to see the NSX in your signature - that’s the one car I never should have let get away. I had a 1995 NSX-T in Formula Red - not only do I miss it, but those have skyrocketed in price and the new ones are out of my tax bracket.

I think that's part of the beauty of it all. You can take it easy and go 70-75 and get class-leading range and efficiency, or you can cruise at 80+ to get to your next stop quickly, take a 20-30 minute charging/pit stop, and then keep on cruising. The Lucid does both very well and makes either traveling style easy and pleasant.
Or, let's just be hypothetical here, you could drive your hysterically screaming pregnant wife to the hospital early in the morning when labor begins and you can FLY from 0-60 smoothly between stop signs, red lights, cross streets...you can make any turn with any amount of cross traffic and zip through, and you can cut a 12 minute trip down surprisingly significantly.

Definitely NOT today's experience. I would never do something like that, but if I did, and if it were, say, the third trip to L&D in the previous 24 hours, I have no idea how sweet the ability to save 2-3 contractions worth of hellacious screaming might be. I can of course ONLY imagine such a thing...

Thanks Josh - that is a good point and I figured I would get a tint and the Lucid sunshade because if next summer is like last summer here (79 days over 100 degrees!) I will be a rotisserie chicken in no time at all. Does the metal roof have a sunroof or is it solid?

BTW - I like to see the NSX in your signature - that’s the one car I never should have let get away. I had a 1995 NSX-T in Formula Red - not only do I miss it, but those have skyrocketed in price and the new ones are out of my tax bracket.
I wish it had a sunroof, I would have done that.

I similarly did multiple test drives, and was into the cooler fall months, not even May-August, and roasted in the canopy. I have heard the shade helps, but I have not yet once regretted my decision to go metal. (and if you dont remember me from above, live in Dallas).

One drive will tell you all you need to know. I also got Cosmos Silver with Santa Cruz. I loved my 991 Turbo S on the track and for cruising. I think that despite the weight of the AGT you will enjoy it in the hill country and on mountain roads nearly as much as your Turbo S.

One drive will tell you all you need to know. I also got Cosmos Silver with Santa Cruz. I loved my 991 Turbo S on the track and for cruising. I think that despite the weight of the AGT you will enjoy it in the hill country and on mountain roads nearly as much as your Turbo S.

This is the most remarkable thing...

I've been gently driving and getting used to the car. I've only been a few minutes in Swift mode. The few times I've pushed myself (in grandpa mode still) I'm amazed how well, how easily, and how confidently it exceeds my expectations, considering the mass. Now with 12k miles on the clock I'm just waiting for warm weather so I can put the 21's back on to explore Swift mode in the twisties.

No, I have not dared bait the Blue Bear. 600 hp is plenty, thanks. I bought the GT for range. A few tenths of a second...even a whole second or two, doesn't mean anything to me....any more. (I'm old)

Last edited:
Metal roof has no sunroof, it's solid. Yes, you're probably good with the sunshade if it doesn't bother you to deploy and stow it. The glass cockpit is definitely a very cool look from inside. I just decided i prefer the ease and comfort of the metal roof.

yes, i took longer than i should have to finally get my NSX after decades of wanting one, and therefore cost me more than it should have, but I really love it. For me, it's the epitome of the analog, manual transmission sports cars. Mine's a 2000 NSX-T 6-speed in Black with tan interior. Super satisfying to drive... but I take it out only maybe 1-2x per month.
JG-NSX Moutain Winery.jpeg
But we digress... ;)

Every one already told you all about charging and the energy efficiency of lucid. Since you can charge so cheap at home it is clearly not a factor and the range and efficiency of of pure is also enough. GT is more than enough.

Before you are tempted by a Tesla model s just keep in mind that that Musk thinks that just cameras are enough for what he calls FSD which you should use at your own risk. Cameras are not a substitute for radar lidar and ultrasonic parking sensors. They are of course needed for 360 deg view. Lucid hardware is level 4 adas ready and they are improving software all the time.

it appears that with the latest changes in pricing the free EA charging has been eliminated
I dont believe so.

The EA charging was eliminated last June and I had my 2023 delivered on February 9th of THIS MONTH and it came with 2 years of free charging. Someone else posted on here I believe that they received a 2024, and it had 1 year of free charging. I just think LUCID is not advertising it anymore due to EA not having great reliability.

Well, I was told no more free charging and no Conquest cash if I lease. They did just drop the home charger price by $1000 and that is probably more meaningful than free charging at EA. I haven’t done the finance paperwork yet and want to wait until my test drive this week before I start down the path with BofA.

Well, I was told no more free charging and no Conquest cash if I lease. They did just drop the home charger price by $1000 and that is probably more meaningful than free charging at EA. I haven’t done the finance paperwork yet and want to wait until my test drive this week before I start down the path with BofA.
They told me no more free charging as well when I picked up my GT on Feb 9th. We went through the orientation of setting up the car with my delivery advisor and I opened up my Lucid App on my phone and saw I had 2 years. He said he hadnt heard about that and was adamant they got rid of it when I asked about Plug and Charge. But there it was. Start time on 2/9/2024 for 2 years. He was shocked and I just used it today and worked great :)

Sucks about no Conquest on a Lease. I ended up leasing for 18 months and got a $2000 discount for conquest on my AGT.

If u want an idea of charging scenarios on ur typical road trips, get the PlugShare app, select EA, EVgo, and ChargePoint on the networks, and checkout your route - you’ll see all the spots to charge and a crowd sourced reliability score.
Enjoy your test drive and see you back here shortly as an owner!!

If u want an idea of charging scenarios on ur typical road trips, get the PlugShare app, select EA, EVgo, and ChargePoint on the networks, and checkout your route - you’ll see all the spots to charge and a crowd sourced reliability score.
Enjoy your test drive and see you back here shortly as an owner!!
why limit yourself to those 3 networks? I only filter out the ones that I know that I'll never use, like the canadian ones

why limit yourself to those 3 networks? I only filter out the ones that I know that I'll never use, like the canadian ones
For anything above 50-150 kW those are likely the only options, but if you're traveling through an area without a lot of infrastructure it certainly wouldn't hurt to see what level 2 options there are just in case.

For anything above 50-150 kW those are likely the only options, but if you're traveling through an area without a lot of infrastructure it certainly wouldn't hurt to see what level 2 options there are just in case.
Better to just filter by minimum kW though. At least in my area there are a few random one-offs I wouldn’t want to miss.

I have no idea where you are but there are many other networks providing 50+ kwh of charging.
using an L2 during a road trip is akin to being tortured. L2 units are best suited for overnight charging.

Left a message for my advisor but thought someone here would know - can I add a referral code now even though I have already ordered? Might as well get someone some points and maybe get me a rebate.

Back