Media Event Reviews

Interesting. A few days ago we saw a trio of Airs headed down the winding highway toward Pescadero. Might have been press cars.

A lot of great publicity. I wonder how this is translating to sales especially if lucid can’t keep up with demand due to the slow ramp up

A lot of great publicity. I wonder how this is translating to sales especially if lucid can’t keep up with demand due to the slow ramp up
It depends on whether the general public is just reading the articles or going to web sites like this to get the other side of the story. The articles really glaze over some of the problems owners have had as if they do not exist.

One has to keep in mind the average American is living from paycheck to paycheck and has large balances on their credit cards. Folks that can honestly afford the higher end Airs are a small minority of car buyers. The GT I have on order costs more than the original 2 story side of my house I had built in 1995….

Attachments

• F3637718-92C7-4443-BA18-2CE56DAC78E4.jpeg
    F3637718-92C7-4443-BA18-2CE56DAC78E4.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 113
Plus virtually all the articles talked about how expensive the car is...
Yep..... Its always had.a pricing problem because Lucid doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. A performance vehicle or luxury vehicle? They've gone for both even though the marketing has always been focused on luxury. The downside is that when they've included both, owners are certainly paying for it. Do luxury owners want to spend the extra $$ for the performance as well? By the look of the reservation numbers, it doesn't seem like it.

I've seen numerous videos from Lucid staff saying they're not a performance car but a luxury car. Yet, they release a "Performance" model and the GT is 819hp. The AGT should have been around $110,000 to compete with the EQS but it got priced $30K more so the extra HP and extra battery has certainly bumped the price up.

Yep..... Its always had.a pricing problem because Lucid doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. A performance vehicle or luxury vehicle? They've gone for both even though the marketing has always been focused on luxury. The downside is that when they've included both, owners are certainly paying for it. Do luxury owners want to spend the extra $$ for the performance as well? By the look of the reservation numbers, it doesn't seem like it.

I've seen numerous videos from Lucid staff saying they're not a performance car but a luxury car. Yet, they release a "Performance" model and the GT is 819hp. The AGT should have been around $110,000 to compete with the EQS but it got priced $30K more so the extra HP and extra battery has certainly bumped the price up.
If the larger battery for range and extra horsepower were not offered for the price of 139.5K, I would not have bought my Lucid GT. I would have bought the Taycan Turbo instead.

Different criteria for different people, though I agree there is a smaller percentage of people who probably felt like I did.

I think a lot of people are buying on range and luxury, with performance a distant consideration as long as the car drives well. With range, some degree of performance comes at relatively low incremental manufacturing cost, as the huge battery is already there. For me, acceleration in excess of about five seconds 0-60 is more of a talking point than anything genuinely useful, having already nauseated myself sufficiently with my previous Model 3 perf.

I think a lot of people are buying on range and luxury, with performance a distant consideration as long as the car drives well. With range, some degree of performance comes at relatively low incremental manufacturing cost, as the huge battery is already there. For me, acceleration in excess of about five seconds 0-60 is more of a talking point than anything genuinely useful, having already nauseated myself sufficiently with my previous Model 3 perf.
Coming from a 2018 Panamera Turbo that did 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, I prefer that kind of acceleration.

I find the 0-60 in 3 seconds for the AGT thrilling and was one of the main reasons besides range, looks, luxury, and buttons for the HVAC that I went with the Lucid.

Again, everybody has their own set of priorities, as I know my wife would be just as thrilled with 0-60 in 5 seconds.

I really don’t think there is any schizophrenia with lucids approach at all. BMW and Mercedes have been producing luxury sport sedans for half a century. Tesla upped the game but Lucid brought luxury much more into focus. If you want luxury buy a touring, if you want more performance buy a GT or Dream. It’s that simple

I’m glad to see all these great “previews” but I’m not putting much stock to it because it doesn’t represent actual ownership. End of the day, it’s all about the stocks.

I really don’t think there is any schizophrenia with lucids approach at all. BMW and Mercedes have been producing luxury sport sedans for half a century. Tesla upped the game but Lucid brought luxury much more into focus. If you want luxury buy a touring, if you want more performance buy a GT or Dream. It’s that simple

I agree CRAZ8

I’m glad to see all these great “previews” but I’m not putting much stock to it because it doesn’t represent actual ownership. End of the day, it’s all about the stocks.
I find this statement absolutely hilarious considering this is an owners forum, lol

One has to keep in mind the average American is living from paycheck to paycheck and has large balances on their credit cards. Folks that can honestly afford the higher end Airs are a small minority of car buyers. The GT I have on order costs more than the original 2 story side of my house I had built in 1995….
When I look at your picture, all I see is the red tractor. So jealous - even though I live in the city and have absolutely no use for such a beast.

When I look at your picture, all I see is the red tractor. So jealous - even though I live in the city and have absolutely no use for such a beast.
So I found the Motor Trend article very interesting. Johnny mentioned that the Air Grand Touring Performance has a modified suspension compared with the Dream Edition that he feels improves the handling performance even better. Curious if those improvements will be available retroactively for the Dream???

I am a retired International Grower and have done consultation on food crops all over the planet and worked with all sorts of machinery for food production and processing in my career. The 65 HP Kubota in the picture is actually quite small compared to the giants for food crops. I use it to mow my front yard with a 8 foot wide estate mower though I also have a smaller tractor with cab and two zero turn mowers. 😇
PS- The mega tractors for corporate food production have tracks like a bulldozer, AC, Heat, Air ride seats, Cruise Control, Blue Tooth Radio, mini refrigerators, TV and LandSat connection where they are driven by computer using GPS.

I love Johnny Lieberman: “Hey, the car makes 1,050 hp and I'm a doctor of automotive journalism, dammit. Besides, those Priuses parked in the left lane ain't gonna pass themselves.”

Back