How far past zero till you die?

I read the same article the other day. I can tell you that I had a zero experience that was different. Driving from Raleigh, NC to St. Augustine, FL...the EA near my Mom's place had all chargers out of service and I was at like 12% SOC 20 miles from her house...I found some third party chargers at a gas station off of her exit and I was signing up for whatever account I needed (of course it was pouring rain) I went back into the car to not get poured on and everything went off...literally just like when your phone dies. I plugged it in, it charged (took several hours as it was a 50kWh charger.

Note, about 4 months later I got a call from Lucid saying they were getting 'signals' from my car the the battery needed to be replaced. That's occurred, all good so far.

I do MUCH more rigorous planning for road trips now.

How far past zero till you die?​

At my age, this subject line gave me quite a fright. It almost caused me to toss my countdown calendar for the arrival of the Gravity before I read the thread.

I read the same article the other day. I can tell you that I had a zero experience that was different. Driving from Raleigh, NC to St. Augustine, FL...the EA near my Mom's place had all chargers out of service and I was at like 12% SOC 20 miles from her house...I found some third party chargers at a gas station off of her exit and I was signing up for whatever account I needed (of course it was pouring rain) I went back into the car to not get poured on and everything went off...literally just like when your phone dies. I plugged it in, it charged (took several hours as it was a 50kWh charger.

Note, about 4 months later I got a call from Lucid saying they were getting 'signals' from my car the the battery needed to be replaced. That's occurred, all good so far.

How many miles when they contacted you it needed to be replaced?

Have you since allowed your new battery to fall lower than 12%?

How far past zero till you die?​

At my age, this subject line gave me quite a fright. It almost caused me to toss my countdown calendar for the arrival of the Gravity before I read the thread.
Chronological age isnt that relevant anymore these days. Was just talking in general terms with a colleague in Urology yesterday, and I was surprised at the ages of patients desiring certain interventions.

On a recent road trip, also in wind and rain, I got to my planned charging stop at 20%. Because of crosswinds, wet roads, and rain, and Lucid’s navigation’s current inability to take into account elevation changes, I arrived at a state of charge lower than estimated by abetterrouteplanner.com. The app estimated I would arrive at 33%. It didn’t help either, though I thought I had planned it in the app, that I was cruising between 80 mph to 85 mph whenever I could.

To my dismay, the entire charging station was down and out of power because of the wind and heavy rain. Still at 20% charge, I back-tracked to another charging station 63 miles away. Keeping my speed below 60 mph, I arrived at this backtracked charging station at 4% and 20 miles remaining. I never want to see a charge level that low again. It’s hard on the battery; and it was worrying, wondering whether I’d make it.

By the way, the Lucid navigation predicted I would arrive at my backtracked charging station with “0 miles remaining”. Instead I arrived with “20 miles remaining”. I suppose I had driven slowly enough that I had actually “re-generated” some miles along my 63 mile drive.

Also, had I really arrived at my planned charging stop at 33%, I would have still had enough charge to continue driving to my destination 90 miles away. Just enough, but enough.

Air GT with 19 inch rims. One occupant.

ADDENDUM - why do charging debacle stories like this have an element of “It was a dark and stormy night…”?

Last edited:
1000006489.gif

The exact bottom of the battery will depend on minor details of the cells, how well they are balanced, how well the BMS has estimated their remaining energy. I wouldn't rely on the exact behavior of one car to be applicable to another. "Zero" is the engineering team's best guess at zero without the car running out of energy prematurely.

This is almost certainly coincidence. Some of the more recent software updates include additional instrumentation so that HQ can proactively look for battery faults *before* they leave you stranded on the road. You may recall all the talk of “12v battery faults” in 2021/2022 which had nothing to do with the 12v battery and were in fact the HV battery dying? It’s those faults, and others, that Lucid is proactively looking for now.

Most likely it would have happened to you regardless.

Anyway, the lowest I’ve ever pulled into a charger was 2% - I chose to drive to a further station so I didn’t have to wait. Went fine.

Back