Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
No, the car is not for everyone.
I agree with that. And I'm happy that it's not, it's not a Tesla, that's for sure.
All considering, would I buy Lucid again? Fuck yes!
And I'm not saying it lightly, odometer reads 57,142 miles as of now.

No, the car is not for everyone.
I agree with that. And I'm happy that it's not, it's not a Tesla, that's for sure.
And I'm not saying it lightly, odometer reads 57,142 miles as of now.
Time to trade that old clunker for a Sapphire

Me, too. Remember that when our first Dream P got wrecked, I immediately began a search for an identical one. And I would do it again.

It was a busy first year dealing with repair issues and software fumbles, but now the car is relatively problem free. Over two years in now, and I still get up each morning trying to figure out the day's excuse for a long drive. I haven't been behind the wheel of our Model S Plaid in the past month and only in the car as a passenger a couple of times.

^ I know what you mean about finding excuses to drive! I went on a 'day trip' to visit a friend 235 miles away.. just because.. and it was a VERY enjoyable day of mostly driving too!

Me, too. Remember that when our first Dream P got wrecked, I immediately began a search for an identical one. And I would do it again.

It was a busy first year dealing with repair issues and software fumbles, but now the car is relatively problem free. Over two years in now, and I still get up each morning trying to figure out the day's excuse for a long drive. I haven't been behind the wheel of our Model S Plaid in the past month and only in the car as a passenger a couple of times.
Amen. Also I owe you a PM; I haven’t forgotten.

About to trade in my 2018 model s p100d. Car starting to rattle, some glitch forces me to replace the entire battery, worried about what happens with car value in 2 years when battery warranty is out, not ready to pay $2k for a headlight now if it does, etc.

Just put deposit on sapphire blue Air Touring (ty borski for your referral code in another chart) and can't wait.

I know from the answer from the messages preceding this one but I need to ask anyway. The Motor Trend article as well as other messages about the car stopping spontaneously while driving as well as my inexperience with anything other than Tesla superchargers located along freeways have me concerned about the reliability. Having said that ..I love the car and can't wait. For those of you who have had issues... Has anything ever made you reconsider?

I know everyone here is excited by the technology and being an early adopter .. So it's like asking an Eskimo if he minds the cold... Nonetheless

Thanks!

"sapphire blue Air Touring"?

I know from the answer from the messages preceding this one but I need to ask anyway. The Motor Trend article as well as other messages about the car stopping spontaneously while driving as well as my inexperience with anything other than Tesla superchargers located along freeways have me concerned about the reliability. Having said that ..I love the car and can't wait. For those of you who have had issues... Has anything ever made you reconsider?
Never had a spontaneous stop while driving except in a parking lot (while going 5mph anyway) - the cross traffic alert is a bit too sensitive. Charging experience is subjective depending on where you are and how often you use them. I've never been unable to charge at an EA, it's just randomly a bit slower sometimes (10 minutes slower, never bothered me). And I hardly ever fast charge anyway. Have I ever reconsidered? ... yes, I should have gotten a Grand Touring instead of a lowly Touring 😆

The Motor Trend article as well as other messages about the car stopping spontaneously while driving as well as my inexperience with anything other than Tesla superchargers located along freeways have me concerned about the reliability. Having said that ..I love the car and can't wait. For those of you who have had issues... Has anything ever made you reconsider?

Having had one of the early Airs (production number 154), I was plagued with a lot of the early production issues. The relatively few hardware issues were resolved quickly by Lucid service (usually mobile). In fact, I had fewer of those than with the Model S Plaid we got four months before the Air was delivered.

The early software issues were another matter and descended like a plague of locusts. But that all changed beginning in October 2022 with the rollout of UX 2.0 and the frequent updates / upgrades that followed. At this point, I actually prefer the total control suite of the Lucid over the Tesla, mostly because I think the Lucid's mix of manual switches with screen controls is less gimmicky and more ergonomic.

In the 17,000 miles before this car was wrecked when someone turned across my travel path at an intersection, it never shut down while driving. However, it failed to start more than once until I put in the PIN.

The only time the Lucid stopped while driving was with the Air that replaced the wrecked one (at number 395, still an early production car). It went into limp mode as the HV battery and the rear drive unit failed, although I made it the last few miles home using back streets. As unsettling as this was, the same thing happened with our 2015 Model S P90D when a weld break in the battery pack took out the pack, the inverter, and the rear drive unit.

Did I reconsider the Lucid? Yeah, a few times when I was in a real snit. But I've been an early adopter with cars all my life and have had worse experiences with new models of a Corvette, a Jaguar S-Type, and a Mercedes SL55 AMG. I even had a year of transmission troubles and a distorted windshield with a Honda Odyssey from the beginning of a new model run.

Bottom line . . . I quickly became and remain a Lucid fan. I replaced the wrecked one with an identical Dream Performance, and I intend to be as near the front of the line for a Gravity as I can get.

Of the many cars of all types I've owned over 50 years, the Air is the best balance of power, ride, handling, room, comfort, structural solidity, and features I've ever had in a car.

@segbrk and @hmp10:
Thanks very much for the eloquent replies. I was hoping for these responses. I was a bit concerned re: quality control given the Motor Trend article referenced here.
I’m used to software issues. The Tesla software, in particular the radio favorites screen, is buggy and has been for the last few months. My brother in law, owner of Model X’s, is frustrated that the fart mode and Santa mode work seamlessly, but their service still needs work and they can’t get the radio right on the last 2 upgrades. I tend to agree in that while they (Tesla) has put a lot of effort into making a great automobile, the entire experience - software, service, communication- etc, still needs maturing.

The Dream performance seems to be quite a car. I’ll Dream about upgrading if I thoroughly enjoy the Grand Touring. I hope I don’t mind “downgrading” from the P100D. :)

To echo others: Lucid has an excellently designed car, but with a lot of QC issues early on. Motor Trend can and should only report on the car in their possession, and so I don't think their criticisms are unfair. However with more recently produced cars it seems Lucid has ironed out a lot of this stuff.

To echo others: Lucid has an excellently designed car, but with a lot of QC issues early on. Motor Trend can and should only report on the car in their possession, and so I don't think their criticisms are unfair. However with more recently produced cars it seems Lucid has ironed out a lot of this stuff.
Yeah. This is the downside to a long-term review with a brand new car. On the one hand, multiple articles mean consistent exposure. On the other hand, anything you improve in your manufacturing process does not get reflected in articles written long after.

I don’t think the article was unfair at all. I just don’t think it reflects my personal experience with my own car. Such is the nature of reviews.

Many thanks for your feedback @joec and @idiot.
I have fewer reservations now.
My biggest fear and concern is the charging at various chargers. Perhaps this belongs on a different thread, but I will miss the free Tesla supercharging (fast and for the most part reliable and, did I mention, free?) vs whatever I will pay when I take this car on a road trip (we travel to San Antonio, Austin and rarely Dallas) will take getting used to. Lucid no longer has a relationship with EA and so no longer do they offer the free 3 year charging (or whatever it was last year). Welcome any additional comments.

LOl! Crap…exactly why I shouldn’t be using my iPad for this while watching daughter play tournament volleyball. Stuff like this is bound to happen!

Apologies to @idiot900

I’ll lay claim to the idiot title. :😳😵‍💫

Many thanks for your feedback @joec and @idiot.
I have fewer reservations now.
My biggest fear and concern is the charging at various chargers. Perhaps this belongs on a different thread, but I will miss the free Tesla supercharging (fast and for the most part reliable and, did I mention, free?) vs whatever I will pay when I take this car on a road trip (we travel to San Antonio, Austin and rarely Dallas) will take getting used to. Lucid no longer has a relationship with EA and so no longer do they offer the free 3 year charging (or whatever it was last year). Welcome any additional comments.
While there are certainly times public charging can be a frustrating experience, I think overall you will be able to charge with EA and other CPOs with no to little issue. You'll learn over time which stations are reliable and which to avoid. I'd guess I've visited around 15 different public charging stations and have gone on many 600+ mile road trips and have good or adequate experiences at least 90% of the time.

As far as cost, a deep charging session from about 10% to 80% will range from $30-$45 depending on the cost at the charging station. Not that different from the cost of a tank of gas, and while not using public fast chargers you'll be using home charging which is much cheaper.

Back