Lucid Motors Tech and Manufacturing Day webstream presentation live Tue Sep 10, 8AM Pacific

Actually, I think they did. In fact, it was as clear a roadmap as I've seen in my many years of sitting in on business reviews. The only element missing was a timeline, and those are notoriously unreliable in most business plans, anyway.

My brother and I have been Tesla owners and observers for a decade now. We both watched today's presentation and independently reached the same conclusion: in ten years, Lucid will be the dominant player in EVs. None of the legacy automakers are stepping up to the technology forefront, and Musk has lost interest in EVs and left his browbeaten organization wandering a bit in the wilderness.

A billionaire investing in Lucid will expect 20-30% return per year over 10 years. If you had that kind of money, would you do it based on what you heard? My investments in the stock market are returning 15-20% per year (when the economy is good, of course). I would never risk that money on Lucid unless the returns are much greater, and I was fairly confident they will deliver.

A billionaire investing in Lucid will expect 20-30% return per year over 10 years. If you had that kind of money, would you do it based on what you heard? My investments in the stock market are returning 15-20% per year (when the economy is good, of course). I would never risk that money on Lucid unless the returns are much greater, and I was fairly confident they will deliver.

Ask the Saudi PIF why they continue to pump money into Lucid. I actually know a couple of billionaires, and their investment choices are considerably more subtle and complex than you suggest.

...and their investment choices are considerably more subtle and complex than you suggest.
This is my (admittedly elementary) understanding as well. The only reason I dumped 20 percent of my portfolio into LCID is because I can afford to lose all of that money (for obvious reasons). Never invest money you can't afford to lose (regarding risky stocks and also generally)!

On a personal level, I smiled when Peter spoke about racing. This is something that really resonates with me. Push to be the best, and things you develop to win will eventually trickle down. He tried to draw this correlation with the battery packs and front drive units for Formula E.

I'm not sure how effective it was because if you don't really follow motorsports, it doesn't truly hit home. Especially when talking to a bunch of analyst.

The slide about the recent F1 race in Monza was also totally nerdy and fun. Did it sell anything, probably not. But if you watched that race, it was EPIC. And as an engineer it's just fun to be able to produce that graph and say hey, my top model Air can keep up with an F1 car into the first chicane at Monza. I highly doubt many in the crowd understood it, let alone cared.

I’m expecting 50% per year going forwards- from the bottom which was $2.33

The slide about the recent F1 race in Monza was also totally nerdy and fun. Did it sell anything, probably not. But if you watched that race, it was EPIC. And as an engineer it's just fun to be able to produce that graph and say hey, my top model Air can keep up with an F1 car into the first chicane at Monza. I highly doubt many in the crowd understood it, let alone cared.
You have no idea how happy I was that my two worlds were colliding together. I was grinning like an idiot when I saw that slide and heard Peter talking about racing! 🤣

BTW, who do you want to win? Lando had a great start, as shown on the slide, but Oscar was far too aggressive in the Turn 4-5 complex.

Surprised no one is mentioning that a dashcam feature is officially confirmed - it's listed as a feature on the slide deck.
I hope they can implement Sentry as well. I’m OK with increased power drain for monitoring the vehicle when at Costco or dinner!

I hope they can implement Sentry as well. I’m OK with increased power drain for monitoring the vehicle when at Costco or dinner!
I don’t have any official info or anything, but I can tell you that there have been various (unintentional) hints in past releases and in the API that it may be coming at some point. Of course, Lucid has not said that.

I thought they did a great job of articulating their competitive advantage, and their development roadmap. They absolutely did touch on profitability. There's no reason to think a company that is still investing in scale and infrastructure is going to be profitable soon, it's simply not possible. There is a path to it, though.

Their obsession with efficiency is what appears to set them apart. I just don't think other companies are quite as focused, and it appears Lucid is well ahead of the competition.

Peter also acknowledged the shortcomings of their software, with a new management team overseeing the development. He admitted that the timing of the 2.4.x release was not a coincidence. They wanted to get a bunch of new DDPro features (among others) out there rather than saying, "coming soon..."

They are far from calling it 'done' on the software side. They also gave a great example of their OTA implementation being a step above, referencing a case where they suspected a limited run of bad parts, so they deployed a software change that included self testing and 'bad part detection', allowing them to identify specifically which cars needed attention.

I was impressed, they have a level of focus and determination which cannot be ignored.

On a personal level, I smiled when Peter spoke about racing. This is something that really resonates with me. Push to be the best, and things you develop to win will eventually trickle down. He tried to draw this correlation with the battery packs and front drive units for Formula E.

I'm not sure how effective it was because if you don't really follow motorsports, it doesn't truly hit home. Especially when talking to a bunch of analyst.

I don't watch motor sports regularly but I got his point. The problem with the market is, the market markers are not interested in advancement, they want profit today. This is why the Chinese are leading the EV and electrification push. I have a sibling who lived in China and I've been there. The difference in the last decade in air quality is remarkable. As we in the west continue to discuss next quarters profits they are building the base for the next century of profits. The technology of lucid, the efficiency focus, and delivering on their promise gives me confidence in Lucid. I don't have confidence in the market's ability to recognize the value of Lucid.

You have no idea how happy I was that my two worlds were colliding together. I was grinning like an idiot when I saw that slide and heard Peter talking about racing! 🤣

BTW, who do you want to win? Lando had a great start, as shown on the slide, but Oscar was far too aggressive in the Turn 4-5 complex.
Lewis ;)

I don't watch motor sports regularly but I got his point. The problem with the market is, the market markers are not interested in advancement, they want profit today. This is why the Chinese are leading the EV and electrification push. I have a sibling who lived in China and I've been there. The difference in the last decade in air quality is remarkable. As we in the west continue to discuss next quarters profits they are building the base for the next century of profits. The technology of lucid, the efficiency focus, and delivering on their promise gives me confidence in Lucid. I don't have confidence in the market's ability to recognize the value of Lucid.
I was holding back on saying this but I've been thinking it too. The owners who own an Air thus far are an intelligent bunch. Look at the discussion you are all having over a 100+ slide deck.

I agree, to sell to the many, Lucid has to find a way to appeal to them. The 100+ deck presented yesterday probably would lose 90% of people after the intro video. Hell I bet most would be trying to skip through the intro video.

Engineers being engineers. It's exactly why I'm drawn to the company. But it's also it's greatest weakness. They have to a least recognize that.

Anyone but Max. This season has been phenomenal. Honestly, Lando showed his hand when he gave Oscar the spot back in Hungary. You rarely make friends getting to the top, and generally it's lonely. All the greats are selfish.

Last edited:
Engineers being engineers. It's exactly why I'm drawn to the company. But it's also it's greatest weakness. They have to a least recognize that.
Products speak. While yes, many don’t care about the details, most are glad to know an engineer operating in founder mode is at the helm. A “professional CEO” would be less of a draw, for sure, because then they would be just another car company.

Instead, I agree with you that the market doesn’t completely appreciate the engineering and relentless pursuit of efficiency, but that’s actually fine - the Air won how many awards? It didn’t sell at great volumes for lots of reasons, but none of them were because “the ads were made by engineers”, heh.

I think the Gravity will make a huge impact, as it’s a much bigger market. I can tell you I had nobody asking me about the Air for a very long time, in terms of seriously wanting to purchase it - it was “too expensive,” “too risky,” the “software sucked,” etc.

Recently I’ve had 2 friends purchase an Air, one inquire, and like 7 people tell me they’re interested in Gravity.

The cars are what will sell. The engineering focus is what will keep Lucid at the forefront.

That ridiculous number isn't going to disappear any time in the near future. It seems to have stuck and has spread like wildfire to a point that even the mainstream outlets use it as a statistic.

The analogy is so stupid it's like saying Walmart built a new store at a cost of $5 million and on the opening day they had sales of $500,000. Based on the stupidity within Social Media, influencers and press they'd be reporting "Walmart lost $4.5 million in the opening of new store". It's all about clickbait these days, facts, truth, etc. no longer matter. Its sad to see how easily people can be manipulated and in turn how easy it is to manipulate a publicly traded companies stock price as a result.
The presentation did show normalized costs compared to the competition, which essentially means what it would cost to make a car with Lucid's components vs those of another manufacturer at a given volume. Lucid should be able to do quite well, but it also assumes that Lucid can hit certain sales volumes. When Tesla came out with the Model S, it was a hot seller for vehicles in its class, because it was the only EV in its class. Expensive sedans are not a high volume segment, lots of people still never heard of Lucid, and it's not realistic for any car company to expect to sell cars in that price range in high volume. The Model S sells at a fraction of the volume that it did in 2017, which was the last year before there were cheaper EV alternatives one tier lower. Now that there are EVs in segments across the board, Lucid can't expect high volume sales until the Gravity is out, and very high volume until what follows comes out.

Assuming that the Gravity sells in reasonably high volumes, Lucid can turn things around with respect to that statistic. I understand things fine mathematically but I'm not a marketing person so I'll leave it to them to figure out how to get people to buy it. I have every bit of faith that the products will be worth getting. The rest is up to Lucid, and I doubt that they are merely making wild guesses. I'm sure they've done their share of research and have a good idea of where their long term plans will take them.

A big problem with that statistic is the built in assumption that Lucid was expecting to be profitable right now but failed to do so, rather than accepting that Lucid knew they wouldn't be profitable with only the current offerings at current volumes.

Amazing. And I assume this is without rear-wheel steering, since it's apparently not going to make initial production?
I think it was with rear wheel steering

Back