Lucid Motors Tech and Manufacturing Day webstream presentation live Tue Sep 10, 8AM Pacific

Also, any chatter about how soon the Gravity Sapphire will come out? If I can't get rear-wheel steering on the Gravity Dream Edition (if there is one), I might wait this time around for the Sapphire (if there is one).

I was in that car. It was incredible. The gravity should not move like that. It is too big, and it makes no sense. And yes, it was with the RWS.

I wouldn’t stress too hard about it being available at launch yet, but I can’t say anything else about that. I’m not trying to be coy, really, I promise. But they know people want RWS.

I’m going to post some photos and notes from the event that I have no idea how or why I was invited to (let me get home first), but suffice it to say it was very well received and everyone came away fairly certain that Lucid is ahead of the pack.

The Gravity and Sapphire test rides absolutely sold the stock and sold some cars. Nobody got to drive either; the Gravity was driven by a Lucid employee who manages vehicle dynamics, and the Sapphire was driven by Peter himself.

For a man who talks so much about motorsports and cars, I was dutifully impressed that he can honestly rip up an autocross / drag track (they had set up an autocross track for the gravity, and a short drag / rally track for the sapphire). He (they, really, but especially Peter) really eats their own dogfood. It is clear he loves fast cars, and driving them at their limits. The sapphire just eats turns for lunch; my DE is amazing, and I love it, but I still have to ride the brake during turns, because physics.

The sapphire just sends. It feels like magic, but watching it just absolutely drift with zero roll on a hairpin U, tires screaming, planted like nothing else, was insane. The rear torque vectoring is crazy.

The gravity was also insane, because it was ripping up this autocross track like nobody’s business, and this car just should not move like that. In smooth, you couldn’t feel a single bump on the road. Not one. In sprint, the suspension felt like a DE. Stiff, sporty, and flew into turns. The RWS kept it extremely stable, and allowed it to achieve curves and turns that should not have been possible in a 7 seater SUV.

But more importantly, the press seems to have very little recourse to continue on the “too expensive” and “software sucks” and “never gonna make a profit” stuff. The event worked, imho.

Last edited:
I was in that car. It was incredible. The gravity should not move like that. It is too big, and it makes no sense. And yes, it was with the RWS.

I wouldn’t stress too hard about it being available at launch yet, but I can’t say anything else about that. I’m not trying to be coy, really, I promise. But they know people want RWS.

I’m going to post some photos and notes from the event that I have no idea how or why I was invited to (let me get home first), but suffice it to say it was very well received and everyone came away fairly certain that Lucid is ahead of the pack.

The Gravity and Sapphire test rides absolutely sold the stock and sold some cars. Nobody got to drive either; the Gravity was driven by a Lucid employee who manages vehicle dynamics, and the Sapphire was driven by Peter himself.

For a man who talks so much about motorsports and cars, I was dutifully impressed that he can honestly rip up an autocross / drag track (they had set up an autocross track for the gravity, and a short drag / rally track for the sapphire). He (they, really, but especially Peter) really eats their own dogfood. It is clear he loves fast cars, and driving them at their limits. The sapphire just eats turns for lunch; my DE is amazing, and I love it, but I still have to ride the brake during turns, because physics.

The sapphire just sends. It feels like magic, but watching it just absolutely drift with zero roll on a hairpin U, tires screaming, planted like nothing else, was insane. The rear torque vectoring is crazy.

The gravity was also insane, because it was ripping up this autocross track like nobody’s business, and this car just should not move like that. In smooth, you couldn’t feel a single bump on the road. Not one. In sprint, the suspension felt like a DE. Stiff, sporty, and flew into turns. The RWS kept it extremely stable, and allowed it to achieve curves and turns that should not have been possible in a 7 seater SUV.

But more importantly, the press seems to have very little recourse to continue on the “too expensive” and “software sucks” and “never gonna make a profit” stuff. The event worked, imho.
So you kept your breakfast in check?

• Haha
Reactions: Joe
So you kept your breakfast in check?
Actually it was kind of funny - I hope they release the video of my rides. The person next to me was absolutely screaming, haha, while I was silent and just had the biggest smile plastered across my face.

Remember: I like cars and I like driving them fast. The Sapphire 0-60 was impressive, but not enough to make a real difference for me compared to my DE. Was there a difference? Yes - in that the numbers on the speedo went up slightly faster. Feel-wise? Honestly not very much.

But the cornering… man. That is what makes the Sapphire the Sapphire. No doubt.

But yeah, I spent the entire time evaluating, while enjoying. :)

I wonder who was sitting next you SCREAMING during your run? 🤣🤣

I won't press for details, and I won't hold you to anything . . . but this has raised my hopes a bit.

I can probably do without the captains chairs if I have to, but I really don't want to get a Gravity now if RWS is coming a bit later. The only thing that would complicate the situation would be if there were a limited-run Dream Edition that offered a power bump but didn't have RWS. I'd have a hard time passing that up, but I think it's looking pretty unlikely at this point.

You know how much I love Lucid's design and engineering, and you also know the dim view I take of some of its marketing. To tease something like RWS months ago, have engineers comment in interviews how stellar it makes the handling, put it through on-camera maneuvers such as we saw in the video clip from Tuesday, and then not put it in production at launch would seem ham-fisted to me, a bit insulting to enthusiast buyers who are likely to be first in line for orders, and thus beyond annoying.

Last edited:
I won't press for details, and I won't hold you to anything . . . but this has raised my hopes a bit.

I can probably do without the captains chairs if I have to, but I really don't want to get a Gravity now if RWS is coming a bit later. The only thing that would complicate the situation would be if there were a limited-run Dream Edition that offered a power bump but didn't have RWS. I'd have a hard time passing that up, but I think it's looking pretty unlikely at this point.

You know how much I love Lucid's design and engineering, and you also know the dim view I take of some of its marketing. To tease something like RWS months ago, have engineers comment in interviews how stellar it makes the handling, put it through on-camera maneuvers such as we saw in the video clip from Tuesday, and then not put it in production at launch would seem ham-fisted to me, a bit insulting to enthusiast buyers who are likely to be first in line for orders, and thus beyond annoying.
Lucid is very aware RWS makes Gravity unique and special, and you are not the only one who would not buy it if it didn’t exist. In fact, I’m right there with you. That’s all I can say for now.

Just curious . . .

Did anyone who attended the Technology & Manufacturing event pick up any word that Lucid has put any of the RC Gravities into the hands of journalists yet for independent testing?

Just curious . . .

Did anyone who attended the Technology & Manufacturing event pick up any word that Lucid has put any of the RC Gravities into the hands of journalists yet for independent testing?
No. The Gravity isn't certified yet for any driving outside of specialized drivers employed by Lucid. Meaning only a handful of employees of Lucid can actually drive the SUV until it is certified.

Back