Gravity Closer to Launch

The Gravity Reveal countdown clock:

Looking at the Los Angeles International Auto Show’s list of announcements indicates
that Lucid’s announcement is at 9:05 to 9:30 PST thus this clock is running 4 hours behind.

Can someone confirm the actual announcement time!?

The Gravity Reveal countdown clock:

Looking at the Los Angeles International Auto Show’s list of announcements indicates
that Lucid’s announcement is at 9:05 to 9:30 PST thus this clock is running 4 hours behind.

Can someone confirm the actual announcement time!?
Is this AM or PM?

We seem to have entered a period of dead calm in the Gravity launch process. There was a torrent of coverage in the weeks following the November reveal at the L.A. Auto Show, but now it's pretty much crickets on the news update front. Sure, Derek Jenkins, Zeb Coughenour, and Rob Whitley have been rolled out for interviews recently. Even Peter Rawlinson still sits down with the press or gets on camera occasionally. But they've really teed up no new information since the L.A. reveal.

No hints or teases about when and how orders will open up. Will existing Lucid owners get a heads up from Lucid? Will Air Dream Edition owners get first crack at Gravity Dream Editions?

No information about the Dream Edition. Will it be a limited run? Will its power specs differ from other trim levels as it did with the Air?

No dribbles of information about which final production details are getting locked in. Rear wheel steering? HUD? Captain's chairs? Tri-motor option?

I suppose this dead spell is to be expected, and I'm confident that Lucid is going full bore behind the scenes in moving the Gravity toward production. But to someone who went through several years of anticipation and waiting for the Air, it's deja vu all over again, as Mr. Berra would say. And it's got me fretting and biting my nails. Again.

We seem to have entered a period of dead calm in the Gravity launch process. There was a torrent of coverage in the weeks following the November reveal at the L.A. Auto Show, but now it's pretty much crickets on the news update front. Sure, Derek Jenkins, Zeb Coughenour, and Rob Whitley have been rolled out for interviews recently. Even Peter Rawlinson still sits down with the press or gets on camera occasionally. But they've really teed up no new information since the L.A. reveal.

No hints or teases about when and how orders will open up. Will existing Lucid owners get a heads up from Lucid? Will Air Dream Edition owners get first crack at Gravity Dream Editions?

No information about the Dream Edition. Will it be a limited run? Will its power specs differ from other trim levels as it did with the Air?

No dribbles of information about which final production details are getting locked in. Rear wheel steering? HUD? Captain's chairs? Tri-motor option?

I suppose this dead spell is to be expected, and I'm confident that Lucid is going full bore behind the scenes in moving the Gravity toward production. But to someone who went through several years of anticipation and waiting for the Air, it's deja vu all over again, as Mr. Berra would say. And it's got me fretting and biting my nails. Again.
I heard that they were in legal troubles over the name 'gravity', It seems that would delay things for sure.

My firm belief is that until they sort out that naming trademark issue, they will stay silent mostly.

My firm belief is that until they sort out that naming trademark issue, they will stay silent mostly.

That's why I've been a little surprised at the recent interviews in which Jenkins and Coughenour repeatedly referred to "Gravity" features. If there is a possible name change in the offing, it would have been a great occasion to say something like, "Gravity is the project's development name, but we haven't arrived at a final determination of what to call our SUV. Maybe Gravity, maybe something else." Instead, they really seem to be locking in model identity around the "Gravity" moniker.

I heard that they were in legal troubles over the name 'gravity', It seems that would delay things for sure.

With so many new SUVs coming to market, it would be disastrous for Lucid to miss a year-end production startup for its SUV over something as inconsequential as a name change, as every customer who buys another brand's SUV is one potential customer lost to Lucid -- and everything at Lucid rides on the sales numbers of this vehicle.

If legal issues with the Gravity name threaten even the possibility of a production delay, then Lucid ought to throw in the towel right now and find a new name for its SUV.

The Jenkins and Coughenour interviews in the past month have gotten over a quarter million views for the "Gravity". The closer a name change gets to start of sales, the more confusion it will create and the more points of attack it will open up for those who want to trash Lucid.

With so many new SUVs coming to market, it would be disastrous for Lucid to miss a year-end production startup for its SUV over something as inconsequential as a name change, as every customer who buys another brand's SUV is one potential customer lost to Lucid -- and everything at Lucid rides on the sales numbers of this vehicle.

If legal issues with the Gravity name threaten even the possibility of a production delay, then Lucid ought to throw in the towel right now and find a new name for its SUV.

The Jenkins and Coughenour interviews in the past month have gotten over a quarter million views for the "Gravity". The closer a name change gets to start of sales, the more confusion it will create and the more points of attack it will open up for those who want to trash Lucid.
I think they should fight it because everything so far has been marketed as such.

I think they should fight it because everything so far has been marketed as such.

I haven't seen any updates about the legal filings. Any idea where things stand?

I haven't seen any updates about the legal filings. Any idea where things stand?
No, but…

That's why I've been a little surprised at the recent interviews in which Jenkins and Coughenour repeatedly referred to "Gravity" features. If there is a possible name change in the offing, it would have been a great occasion to say something like, "Gravity is the project's development name, but we haven't arrived at a final determination of what to call our SUV. Maybe Gravity, maybe something else." Instead, they really seem to be locking in model identity around the "Gravity" moniker.
Given how ultra-careful the company is with their legal matters, I’d be surprised if they hadn’t already begun discussing settlement or weren’t *very* convinced they will win the case, given the continued use of the name in those interviews.

The only scenario in which that may not be true is if those were filmed long, long ago.

The only scenario in which that may not be true is if those were filmed long, long ago.

Not sure about the Jenkins interview with Top Gear, but he, Coughenour, and Rawlinson were interviewed at the Geneva Motor Show where the Gravity made its European debut in late February / early March.

I'm concerned too...I have just about decided that I want to trade in my Air Touring for the Gravity, but I would like at least a little more detail before I commit.

I'm concerned too...I have just about decided that I want to trade in my Air Touring for the Gravity, but I would like at least a little more detail before I commit.

For me it's really more impatience than concern. After having seen the Gravity prototype twice now in person I have decided that we'll be getting one -- and keeping our Air Dream, as well. (The issue in our house will be whether to get rid of the Honda Odyssey or the Model S Plaid, particularly as the Plaid moves down another notch in our estimation as each month passes with the Air -- and we're still hassling with the four-month-long attempt to get the peeling yoke replaced.)

The only niggling worry I have is that Dream Edition order slots might get snapped up quickly once orders open, and I would like a little lead time to think through colors, wheels, and other options (to the extent there will be some).

For me it's really more impatience than concern. After having seen the Gravity prototype twice now in person I have decided that we'll be getting one -- and keeping our Air Dream, as well. (The issue in our house will be whether to get rid of the Honda Odyssey or the Model S Plaid, particularly as the Plaid moves down another notch in our estimation as each month passes with the Air -- and we're still hassling with the four-month-long attempt to get the peeling yoke replaced.)

The only niggling worry I have is that Dream Edition order slots might get snapped up quickly once orders open, and I would like a little lead time to think through colors, wheels, and other options (to the extent there will be some).
I would assume that you would reserve the actual trim first and then configure the options later, right?

That makes sense. I haven't seen it at all, I asked about it in Houston last month but they didn't have one yet. I'm worried about the slots filling up, too. I've heard that we'll get priority as current owners, but that could just be a rumor. So yes, maybe impatient is a better description than concern for me too!

Back