The Lucid Gravity is in Century City

Tim-in-CA

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
For those in So Cal, I just received this email invite to go check out the Gravity in Century City. I'm not in the market for one, but may check it out if I'm in the area ...

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 12.44.24 PM.png

The first Design Studios to open outside of California were in Florida, which I assume means Florida was second only to California in Air reservations at the time studios were being planned. I wonder if the Gravity preview will be coming here next?

Here's hoping.

Just called the West Palm Beach Design Studio. They said the Gravity prototype had been on view in New York City and Toronto before going to Century City, but they have no word yet as to whether or when Florida will see one for viewing. They also confirmed that Lucid will go straight to orders for the Gravity rather than taking reservations and that current Air owners will get first opportunity. There is no word yet as to whether the Dream Edition will be a limited run or be the ongoing top trim level, although their guess is that it will be a limited run as it was with the Air. There is also no word yet as to whether the Dream Edition will have an augmented powertrain as in the Air or just be an upgraded trim level.

Just called the West Palm Beach Design Studio. They said the Gravity prototype had been on view in New York City and Toronto before going to Century City, but they have no word yet as to whether or when Florida will see one for viewing. They also confirmed that Lucid will go straight to orders for the Gravity rather than taking reservations and that current Air owners will get first opportunity. There is no word yet as to whether the Dream Edition will be a limited run or be the ongoing top trim level, although their guess is that it will be a limited run as it was with the Air. There is also no word yet as to whether the Dream Edition will have an augmented powertrain as in the Air or just be an upgraded trim level.
I would think the DE has the regular powertrain, given how it "only" has over 800 hp. That was possibly the only aspect of the gravity that disappointed me.

I would think the DE has the regular powertrain, given how it "only" has over 800 hp. That was possibly the only aspect of the gravity that disappointed me.
Says the person who felt like they strained their neck on a test drive....

I would think the DE has the regular powertrain, given how it "only" has over 800 hp.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Nevertheless, I'm still holding out hope that the Gravity Dream will have more power, and that Lucid is not yet putting out an "up to" power figure until they finalize the production specs. With the Air, the 1,111 hp figure came out only fairly late in the game when Rawlinson teased everyone by holding up four fingers without explanation in a video session shortly before the EPA figures were released.

I wouldn't drive a Gravity any faster with more power, but I do find the power bump of the Dream gives it a more light-footed feel in lower-speed driving. It's subtle, but it's there.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Nevertheless, I'm still holding out hope that the Gravity Dream will have more power, and that Lucid is not yet putting out an "up to" power figure until they finalize the production specs. With the Air, the 1,111 hp figure came out only fairly late in the game when Rawlinson teased everyone by holding up four fingers without explanation in a video session shortly before the EPA figures were released.

I wouldn't drive a Gravity any faster with more power, but I do find the power bump of the Dream gives it a more light-footed feel in lower-speed driving. It's subtle, but it's there.
While at the LA Auto Show and talking with Lucid team (Peter, Zak, Andrea and Eric), I left with the impression that the DE Gravity would not be a performance variant but rather a fully optioned trim. Nobody from Lucid said anything definitive so it was more of a feeling or impression. I know others that were at the LA show that left with a different impression. I am not surprised that you are not hearing anything firm yet.

While at the LA Auto Show and talking with Lucid team (Peter, Zak, Andrea and Eric), I left with the impression that the DE Gravity would not be a performance variant but rather a fully optioned trim. Nobody from Lucid said anything definitive so it was more of a feeling or impression. I know others that were at the LA show that left with a different impression. I am not surprised that you are not hearing anything firm yet.
I agree with @Adnillien even though I've pleaded for a Sapphire Gravity as the first trim released 😁

Says the person who felt like they strained their neck on a test drive....
Well, when you are used to a 166 hp Honda accord with that whiny k24a8, anything will injure you! Now that I know to put my head on the headrest, it should be fine.

If I was offered a test drive in a sapphire, I would probably just think twice about getting in it lol(still saying yes though)

Don’t forget, the sapphire was 1200+ and ended up being not far from that number, which leads me to believe it’s a carryover of the 819 hp GT powertrain.

I agree with @Adnillien even though I've pleaded for a Sapphire Gravity as the first trim released 😁

What I lust after in a Gravity would be the Sapphire chassis and powertrain under the Dream Edition body trim. One of the reasons I finally quit pining after an Air Sapphire was when it scrapped the glass canopy and confirmed the interior would only be dark gray with neon blue control screens. The car just became too "boy racer" for me.

Don’t forget, the sapphire was 1200+ and ended up being not far from that number, which leads me to believe it’s a carryover of the 819 hp GT powertrain.

Rawlinson has said the Gravity motors will be based on the Air motors but with some undisclosed but significant technical advancements. It's not clear whether this means more efficiency, more power, or both.

It's not a carryover. Peters already said they tweaked the motors for extra torque for towing capacity.

What I lust after in a Gravity would be the Sapphire chassis and powertrain under the Dream Edition body trim. One of the reasons I finally quit pining after an Air Sapphire was when it scrapped the glass canopy and confirmed the interior would only be dark gray with neon blue control screens.
Which in my opinion is what the DE-P for the air should’ve been. They don’t even need to add the handling upgrades, just the trimotor power as I believe the normal airs chassis could handle that unlike the plaid.

It's not a carryover. Peters already said they tweaked the motors for extra torque for towing capacity.

They've also changed the gearing ratio for towing capacity. I wonder what effect that will have on normal driving?

Rawlinson has said the Gravity motors will be based on the Air motors but with some undisclosed but significant technical advancements. It's not clear whether this means more efficiency, more power, or both.
So Eric Bach did give some information but not the details. Sapphire has a slight motor improvement that improves the magnetic flux at the same current giving the motor more power and efficiency. Of course, no details were shared on how this was done. This same motor will carry over into Gravity and I assume at some point will go into an Air update.

Back