The Lucid Gravity is in Century City

They've also changed the gearing ratio for towing capacity. I wonder what effect that will have on normal driving?
Yes, Eric confirmed this also. I suspect it will decrease the high end acceleration but the question is a what speed will it matter. Since my GT still has plenty of acceleration at 100 mph, I am not too worried about the high end for Gravity.

I'm much more a low-end acceleration hound than a high-speed driver. Changes -- read torque -- that give the heavier Gravity more grunt off the line and more punch at lower speeds would suit me just fine.

I mean, let’s be honest, even a “measly” 800 hp beats the crap out of our honda odysseys.. and the likely heavier r1s is plenty fast as well!

My Dream is that the Dream has Sapphire trimotor setup 😍😍😍

In 5 years I will consider Gravity to replace my Sienna if it has Google Maps or supports AA. Of course there could be other choices by then.

While at the LA Auto Show and talking with Lucid team (Peter, Zak, Andrea and Eric), I left with the impression that the DE Gravity would not be a performance variant but rather a fully optioned trim. Nobody from Lucid said anything definitive so it was more of a feeling or impression. I know others that were at the LA show that left with a different impression. I am not surprised that you are not hearing anything firm yet.
This would make a lot more sense to me. After Sapphire, any “performance” DE is going to seem meh. Performance SUV is an even smaller niche than performance sedan.

Lucid needs to move away from niches, not find even smaller ones.

I could see them making Dream Edition Gravity all about best range and fully equipped. Throw in an exclusive color. Make the batch much larger than 520 cars. Or don’t even limit it.

The DE Air was a missed opportunity in many ways. They could have sold a lot more of them (which is what made the GT-P necessary). And it left the press with the impression Lucid is “expensive”. It was also freakishly expensive to build compared to other trims.

I don’t think they want to repeat any of this for Gravity.

Having said that, I’m almost positive none of these decisions are final yet. The impression I got from talking to many Lucid execs is that there are many different opinions on what exactly the DE will end up being. We’ll have to wait and see.

Make the batch much larger than 520 cars. Or don’t even limit it.
Nah. The limited production run was a big draw of why many upgraded to the DE, myself included.

That’s why so many were miffed for a while when the GT-P was announced, but it had different wheels and cost more, so it worked out.

The DE Air was a missed opportunity in many ways. They could have sold a lot more of them (which is what made the GT-P necessary). And it left the press with the impression Lucid is “expensive”.
I’m not so sure that had anything to do with the DE. The DEs were basically built by hand, because they were figuring out how to build cars. They were also intended to garner extensive praise, which they did, for everything but the 1.0 software. It was a huge success from the perspective of marketing, which was very much the point of it.

The issue with Lucid being seen as expensive is more of a macro issue, I think. It was launched when cars were insanely expensive, mid-pandemic, period. Then they took a long time to get to less expensive trims, and the only thing in the press *at all* was the DE and its cost. That was the mistake.

They are fixing that now with how they market the Gravity, even insofar as simply stating the price it starts from, whereas with the DE they had no idea where the Pure would start.

Performance SUV is an even smaller niche than performance sedan.

You wouldn't know that from seeing the number of hopped-up Range Rovers, Porsche Cayennes, BMW X5 Ms, and MB GL AMGs running around Naples, FL. We even see a fair number of Maserati and Lamborghini SUVs here.

After Sapphire, any “performance” DE is going to seem meh.

After Sapphire, yes. But having driven Air GTs for several days while our Air Dream P has been in the shop, there is a clearly perceivable step up in performance with the Dream Air. It's most noticeable in the mid-speed range in traffic, where the Dream is more responsive to the throttle and lighter on its feet. The Sapphire was more performance than I could use on public roads and came at the price of a boy-racer vibe that I was not willing to accept. But I would readily pay the premium to get a Dream Performance over a GT again.

No one who's ever had their neck snapped or begged me to slow it down when riding in our Dream P has ever thought to call the car "meh".

It was also freakishly expensive to build compared to other trims.

As far as I know, the only really significant unique components of the Dream were the exotic metallurgy in the rear motor, the Samsung battery pack (which Lucid is continuing to use), and the forged 21" wheels (which are vendor-supplied). The rest of the chassis, from brakes to suspension, was common to the GT, as were all the software, screens, and control interfaces. The interior trim differences were really in colors, not materials. Cost differences on that score would have been attributable only to buying in reduced quantities and the minor added costs of production line management of a limited run. In fact, if the Gravity Dream is just a unique trim upgrade, Lucid will still be saddled with the expense of special trim for a limited-volume run, anyway.

You wouldn't know that from seeing the number of hopped-up Range Rovers, Porsche Cayennes, BMW X5 Ms, and MB GL AMGs running around Naples, FL. We even see a fair number of Maserati and Lamborghini SUVs here.
You should go to Miami downtown... my god it is RIDICULOUS. On one block I saw a Bentayga, a laferrari(somehow), a BMW i8, and various Uruses.
As far as I know, the only really significant unique components of the Dream were the exotic metallurgy in the rear motor, the Samsung battery pack (which Lucid is continuing to use), and the forged 21" wheels (which are vendor-supplied). The rest of the chassis, from brakes to suspension, was common to the GT, as were all the software, screens, and control interfaces. The interior trim differences were really in colors, not materials. Cost differences on that score would have been attributable only to buying in reduced quantities and the minor added costs of production line management of a limited run. In fact, if the Gravity Dream is just a unique trim upgrade, Lucid will still be saddled with the expense of special trim for a limited-volume run, anyway.
I think a significant chunk of the cost was the high price of the batteries at the time and the exotic motors, most of the other stuff is pretty much the same as you said.

I think a significant chunk of the cost was the high price of the batteries at the time and the exotic motors, most of the other stuff is pretty much the same as you said.

I think the Dream rear motors were pretty much the same construction as the regular motors but with a different metallurgy in the rotor, if I remember correctly. And both the LG Chem and the Samsung battery packs are of identical construction with the same number of cells (300) per module, so I doubt if there was much cost difference. It's true that the Samsung cells were developed in conjunction with Lucid specifically for the Air while the LG Chem cells were more "off the shelf", but Lucid is apparently going to use both Samsung and LG Chem cells in the Gravity, so I suspect there's not much cost difference at this point -- if there ever was.

As long as customers are willing to pay whatever price premium a higher-performance Dream would command I don't really see why Lucid should not offer it. If customers want to hit a lower price point, they will have highly capable options in lesser trims. The only reason I could see not to offer higher performance in a Dream would be manufacturing and inventory management complexity, but such variants usually also command higher margins to offset those issues. There are two main reasons other manufacturers offer high-performance variants of their vehicles, including their SUVs: the bragging rights and marketing halo effect of such variants and the higher margins they command.

Remember that when Mercedes culled its model lineup a few years back to reduce the design and manufacturing costs of their model proliferation, it was not the AMG variants they culled out. In fact, while maintaining AMG performance variants, they even expanded their remaining model lineup upward by adding Maybach variants to the S-Class ICE and EV models.

While at the LA Auto Show and talking with Lucid team (Peter, Zak, Andrea and Eric), I left with the impression that the DE Gravity would not be a performance variant but rather a fully optioned trim. Nobody from Lucid said anything definitive so it was more of a feeling or impression. I know others that were at the LA show that left with a different impression. I am not surprised that you are not hearing anything firm yet
For DR, I would prefer posh interior and better software than performance. 830 HP R1S was plenty performance for me, I don’t see need for 1/2 a sec faster to 1000 HP. Just give me a beautiful cabin!

For DR, I would prefer posh interior and better software than performance. 830 HP R1S was plenty performance for me, I don’t see need for 1/2 a sec faster to 1000 HP. Just give me a beautiful cabin!
Say, do you plan to get the gravity?

I'm actually pretty much in this camp, too. It's why I lost interest in the Sapphire once the final interior and suspension characteristics were revealed. What I do like about the extra oomph of the Air Dream, though, is not its upper end speed, which is electronically limited, anyway, to the same as the GT. It's the extra mid-range punch for maneuvering in traffic that I'd like to find available in the Gravity, particularly given its additional weight.

This would make a lot more sense to me. After Sapphire, any “performance” DE is going to seem meh. Performance SUV is an even smaller niche than performance sedan.

Lucid needs to move away from niches, not find even smaller ones.

I could see them making Dream Edition Gravity all about best range and fully equipped. Throw in an exclusive color. Make the batch much larger than 520 cars. Or don’t even limit it.

The DE Air was a missed opportunity in many ways. They could have sold a lot more of them (which is what made the GT-P necessary). And it left the press with the impression Lucid is “expensive”. It was also freakishly expensive to build compared to other trims.

I don’t think they want to repeat any of this for Gravity.

Having said that, I’m almost positive none of these decisions are final yet. The impression I got from talking to many Lucid execs is that there are many different opinions on what exactly the DE will end up being. We’ll have to wait and see.
I agree with you entirely. I would have easily ordered the Dream edition, but went for the GT instead because the color choice of Gold, Black and White was not what I was looking for.

When Zenith Red later was announced to be included in the Dream edition, I attempted to upgrade to the Dream, but was put on a waiting list instead. From past comments I know there were many on the waiting list that did not receive the Dream because of the 520 unit limitation.

I'm not sorry in retrospect because for 30K less than the Dream, I find the GT surpassed my initial expectations.

My point being I believe that if Lucid had not limited the number of Dream editions, they would have sold many more and pocketed the extra 30k(less some upgraded materials) for themselves.

There was also the expectation that because the Dream was a limited edition that it would not depreciate as much. From what I have seen so far, this did not pan out.

So therefore I agree wholeheartedly that any Dream edition for Gravity should not be limited in number.

Lucid could certainly use the extra money from those who want the top trim without being locked out as happened in the Air.

I agree with you entirely. I would have easily ordered the Dream edition, but went for the GT instead because the color choice of Gold, Black and White was not what I was looking for.

When Zenith Red later was announced to be included in the Dream edition, I attempted to upgrade to the Dream, but was put on a waiting list instead. From past comments I know there were many on the waiting list that did not receive the Dream because of the 520 unit limitation.

I'm not sorry in retrospect because for 30K less than the Dream, I find the GT surpassed my initial expectations.

My point being I believe that if Lucid had not limited the number of Dream editions, they would have sold many more and pocketed the extra 30k(less some upgraded materials) for themselves.

There was also the expectation that because the Dream was a limited edition that it would not depreciate as much. From what I have seen so far, this did not pan out.

So therefore I agree wholeheartedly that any Dream edition for Gravity should not be limited in number.

Lucid could certainly use the extra money from those who want the top trim without being locked out as happened in the Air.
A lot of people wanted DE's and couldnt get them, like @Tesla2.0 . Then again, you have to remember some of those early dream orders were scalpers, maybe a 1000 unit edition?

Say, do you plan to get the gravity?

The more I look into CyberTruck specs, the more I want to keep F250 Super Duty.

Although I can pull trigger anytime for MX Plaid. I’m holding my restraint to wait for Gravity. But I do need to see it first.

Im not in hurry for another EV. There will be more models coming next few years. What I really like to see is an affordable EV Roadster like MG, something like Miata EV, not 250k ones of Tesla and Polestar.

just went to look at it today. unfortunately, it's "fenced" off and on display only. some windows were rolled down, doors open, and seats adjusted. trunk and frunk were not open. the badge on the back said gravity grand touring, and the bottom of the door said yosemite for the color scheme. that's about the only useful stuff i saw in person.

just went to look at it today. unfortunately, it's "fenced" off and on display only. some windows were rolled down, doors open, and seats adjusted. trunk and frunk were not open. the badge on the back said gravity grand touring, and the bottom of the door said yosemite for the color scheme. that's about the only useful stuff i saw in person.
Pictures please; otherwise, I did not happen!!!

Back