Concerns for Gravity

invalidname

Cars
Touring
Gravity will be based on a completely new platform from Air.
Pros: Built specifically for EV SUV.
Concerns: Increased complexity. Potential production ramp up issues vs ramp up with a production proven platform based on Air. Increased costs, less profits due to less parts sharing. Increased costs, less profits due to separate development costs.

Obsolescence for Air.
Concerns: Gravity will have more space, better tech, better UX, more luxurious amenities, air suspensions, etc. but in the similar cost range as Air. Why buy an iPhone 14 Pro, when you can buy an iPhone 15 Pro Max (why buy a last generation car)?

Management of different, but related UX systems.
Concerns: The Gravity and Air will use different UX systems. Potential new UX rollout may be problematic, it took a year after initial release for the Air's UX to become useable. Focus currently is on the Gravity's UX with some trickle down to Air's UX, how will management of work on each UX be divided?

Rollout and rampup
Concerns: Air released the most expensive models first, and took too long to ramp up to the less expensive models. Because of this rollout and rampup strategy, most Touring/Pure reservationists cancelled, and most future prospective consumers still think the Air starts at $159k instead of $77.4k (most reviewers only had the $159k GT or $179k GT-P). How will Gravity rollout and rampup?

Concerns: Increased complexity. Potential production ramp up issues vs ramp up with a production proven platform based on Air. Increased costs, less profits due to less parts sharing. Increased costs, less profits due to separate development costs.

Obsolescence for Air.
Concerns: Gravity will have more space, better tech, better UX, more luxurious amenities, air suspensions, etc. but in the similar cost range as Air. Why buy an iPhone 14 Pro, when you can buy an iPhone 15 Pro Max (why buy a last generation car)?

Concerns: The Gravity and Air will use different UX systems. Potential new UX rollout may be problematic, it took a year after initial release for the Air's UX to become useable. Focus currently is on the Gravity's UX with some trickle down to Air's UX, how will management of work on each UX be divided?

Rollout and rampup
Concerns: Air released the most expensive models first, and took too long to ramp up to the less expensive models. Because of this rollout and rampup strategy, most Touring/Pure reservationists cancelled, and most future prospective consumers still think the Air starts at $159k instead of $77.4k (most reviewers only had the $159k GT or $179k GT-P). How will Gravity rollout and rampup?
I agree with many of your points. They will be ok as long as they can sell 10-15k Gravity units year one. They have hopefully learned some important lessons from taking too long to bring to Market Pure. On another note I do find it interesting that $80k and 440 miles keep being discussed in the same sentence and no one from Lucid is saying anything about that. Is there any chance an $80k SUV will get an EPA of 440? That would really sell Cars. Anyway Lucid appears to have a great SUV. We will know in 12-14 months!

Lucid is miles ahead of the game launching Gravity vs. Air. Established suppliers, component designs, manufacturing and assembly process design and methodologies, quality control data, and general operations experience. Gravity is a larger vehicle with some additional complexities and is therefore higher cost, but not that much higher. I don’t worry about product obsolescence. The advancements are merely incremental improvements as expected. I think it’s all good.

Why buy an iPhone 14 Pro, when you can buy an iPhone 15 Pro Max (why buy a last generation car)?
Because your prefer a car over an SUV? Some people don't actually like SUVs.

On another note I do find it interesting that $80k and 440 miles keep being discussed in the same sentence and no one from Lucid is saying anything about that.
They're not saying anything about it because all the details aren't finalized. However, I highly doubt the under $80k base model will have a120 kWh battery. My guess (and it's just an educated guess, no insider info) is that the base will have a similar battery pack to the base Air, which is 92 kWh. At 3.6 mi/kWh, that would be a range of around 330 miles. That is still better than any of the competition for that price, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.

It’s not like they didn’t learn anything from the Air. My understanding is that it’s a new platform but designed in a similar way.

Obsolescence for Air.
I don’t like SUVs. Lots of people don’t. Also, the Air has bigger range, more HP, is faster, and so on. Plus, it’s not like they’re never going to update the Air again.

I suspect the Air is going to remain their flagship performance spec for a while.

The team between them and now is completely different. With Mike Bell at the helm (whereas he came on after Air was already being delivered), I can guarantee you the same mistakes are not going to be made.

Rollout and rampup
Big open question, but I can tell you they’re well aware of the perception. That’s why Gravity is listed as starting at under $80k. The reason they haven’t announced a range of cost yet is because they’ve learned from 2020-2023; markets change, so deciding on something today may or may not be relevant in 2025. Hence the delay.

It’s not like they didn’t learn anything from the Air. My understanding is that it’s a new platform but designed in a similar way.

I don’t like SUVs. Lots of people don’t. Also, the Air has bigger range, more HP, is faster, and so on. Plus, it’s not like they’re never going to update the Air again.

I suspect the Air is going to remain their flagship performance spec for a while.

The team between them and now is completely different. With Mike Bell at the helm (whereas he came on after Air was already being delivered), I can guarantee you the same mistakes are not going to be made.

Big open question, but I can tell you they’re well aware of the perception. That’s why Gravity is listed as starting at under $80k. The reason they haven’t announced a range of cost yet is because they’ve learned from 2020-2023; markets change, so deciding on something today may or may not be relevant in 2025. Hence the delay.

Great points and very reassuring.
The Gravity is literally the only SUV I have ever been tempted by. To me ( perhaps others will have a different impression), the Gravity looks nothing like an SUV. It looks more like a cross between a wagon and coupe; it’s very elegant. With new materials and the new UX , it’s going to be hard to resist.

Lucid is miles ahead of the game launching Gravity vs. Air. Established suppliers, component designs, manufacturing and assembly process design and methodologies, quality control data, and general operations experience. Gravity is a larger vehicle with some additional complexities and is therefore higher cost, but not that much higher. I don’t worry about product obsolescence. The advancements are merely incremental improvements as expected. I think it’s all good.
Also battery prices are falling. that would allow for better pricing.

I have never liked SUV's but from the videos and photos Gravity looks very appealing. To me, the AGT will be tough to beat dynamically on road. Not sure that many Gravity owners will do real off-roading and rock climbing anyway. Both models are in a class of their own IMHO. Gravity seems a leap ahead of the Air with its driver interface and creative features like self-guided meditation and of course, air suspension. (I do not find the suspension of the Air deficient in any way and characterize it as brilliant compared to any sedan.) Will Gravity be a more user-friendly driver for local and long distance? I imagine that its higher stance may make it easier for entry and egress and its newer UX and seating will be quite alluring. Both will have broken new automotive ground on Ludcid's own terms, not shackled by legacy elements of all sorts that burden other non-EV-centric manufacturers.

As to the OP's assessment that the Air will be obsolete, and I have said this in much earlier posts, I view the Air as a start, not unlike the first 911, albeit in a more evolved way at the outset. It has already gotten better with OTAs and will continue to do so, I believe. While perhaps a bold assertion, the Air was completely new in all facets, just as the 911 was at its introduction. Like the most successful products or services, most people never knew that they wanted them until they were with us, like Amazon, streaming video, or the iPhone, for example. The best products and services create their own demand, if not instantly then over time.

Obsolescence for Air.
That is a bad analogy. There are still single drivers and two people households who doesn't need an SUV.

People continually make the same logical fallacy on this forum. It goes something like this:

In the US, SUVs outsell sedans. Therefore, making a sedan in the US is a bad idea.

There are dozens of variations on this theme, but they are all equally wrong.

Air is already equaling Mercedes sales in its class. A smaller, mid-range sedan will likely sell similarly to an equivalent EV C-class, whenever Mercedes releases that. That’s a nice chunk of business.

Lucid can do just fine continuing to sell Air and introducing other sedans into its lineup alongside the SUVs and crossovers it will also release. We’re talking a market of millions of potential customers.

The clock is ticking on the new ICE car extinction event. By the time that happens, Lucid will have a nice range of likely 4 products available, both in truck and car form. And its lineup and brand will still likely be more appealing than whatever traditional automakers are putting out for EVs, given their terrible track record thus far.

I have never liked SUV's but from the videos and photos Gravity looks very appealing. To me, the AGT will be tough to beat dynamically on road. Not sure that many Gravity owners will do real off-roading and rock climbing anyway. Both models are in a class of their own IMHO. Gravity seems a leap ahead of the Air with its driver interface and creative features like self-guided meditation and of course, air suspension. (I do not find the suspension of the Air deficient in any way and characterize it as brilliant compared to any sedan.) Will Gravity be a more user-friendly driver for local and long distance? I imagine that its higher stance may make it easier for entry and egress and its newer UX and seating will be quite alluring. Both will have broken new automotive ground on Ludcid's own terms, not shackled by legacy elements of all sorts that burden other non-EV-centric manufacturers.

As to the OP's assessment that the Air will be obsolete, and I have said this in much earlier posts, I view the Air as a start, not unlike the first 911, albeit in a more evolved way at the outset. It has already gotten better with OTAs and will continue to do so, I believe. While perhaps a bold assertion, the Air was completely new in all facets, just as the 911 was at its introduction. Like the most successful products or services, most people never knew that they wanted them until they were with us, like Amazon, streaming video, or the iPhone, for example. The best products and services create their own demand, if not instantly then over time.

I really really like the potential for respectable ground clearance with adjustable air suspension. Very useful here with deep snow. For me personally, I do lots of mountain activities that require driving on dirt roads to get to trailheads, etc. I currently use my Subaru Outback for that purpose. With a car like Gravity, I would not take it on any serious rock crawling roads, but I rarely, if ever need that capability. Looking forward to seeing options and models , etc. Exciting stuff.

Because your prefer a car over an SUV? Some people don't actually like SUVs.

They're not saying anything about it because all the details aren't finalized. However, I highly doubt the under $80k base model will have a120 kWh battery. My guess (and it's just an educated guess, no insider info) is that the base will have a similar battery pack to the base Air, which is 92 kWh. At 3.6 mi/kWh, that would be a range of around 330 miles. That is still better than any of the competition for that price, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.
I don't like SUV's either. Last thing I want is a larger car as well.

I don't like SUV's either. Last thing I want is a larger car as well.
If and when Lucid comes out with a smaller sedan with the same comfort, acceleration, etc. I will be first on line to order one.

The fact that so many Tesla model 3 sedans have sold is testament that there is a desire by many for a smaller sedan.

I know a smaller Lucid sedan is years away, but I feel Lucid would destroy Model 3 sales if and when they produce one.

If and when Lucid comes out with a smaller sedan with the same comfort, acceleration, etc. I will be first on line to order one.

The fact that so many Tesla model 3 sedans have sold is testament that there is a desire by many for a smaller sedan.

I know a smaller Lucid sedan is years away, but I feel Lucid would destroy Model 3 sales if and when they produce one.
The Tesla model 3 selling purely because of price point.

If Tesla model S was the same price as a model 3, I'm sure it'll sell more than the model 3

Lucid smaller sedan will be a blockbuster. Lucid is creating a very desirable name for itself. I'm sure come 2028, they wiil be one of the major players in the EV world. Just 4.1 years away!

Does anyone know wheelbase difference between Gravity and Air?

Lucid smaller sedan will be a blockbuster. Lucid is creating a very desirable name for itself. I'm sure come 2028, they wiil be one of the major players in the EV world. Just 4.1 years away!

Gimme a roadster…

Gimme a roadster…
I just want a midsize sedan and a roadster based off of that(both model 3 sized). Considering I will get my first car when I am 18, and the midsize sedan will come out in 2026, I do hope I can have one!

(if not, the model 3 highland is my second choice. want something electric so i can save on fuel costs in the first years of my career)

I just want a midsize sedan and a roadster based off of that(both model 3 sized). Considering I will get my first car when I am 18, and the midsize sedan will come out in 2026, I do hope I can have one!

(if not, the model 3 highland is my second choice. want something electric so i can save on fuel costs in the first years of my career)
If you end up with an M3 over the Lucid kiddo, your days in this group are limited! Just joking (sort of) haha!

Back