Speculation Gravity Features

A new article about the Gravity Dream Edition throws a couple of my assumptions into doubt.

I had assumed the 440+ miles of range meant the Dream Edition might slightly exceed this number and that the other versions would fall somewhat short. I had also assumed that the 800+ horsepower and <3.5 0-60 times meant that it would be the Dream Edition that might slightly exceed those figures. Or, in the alternative, maybe the Gravity Dream was going to be more about luxury/convenience features with little powertrain differences from the other versions.

Yet the following article, in which Peter Rawlinson is quoted (without saying when and to whom he said these things), suggests a Dream Edition more in line with what happened with the Air: a limited production run with power and acceleration well beyond the rest of the range (outside the Sapphire, of course).

Article seems to make a few assumptions and is not entirely factual (e.g. portrait screen).

Agree. Lucid has already said that existing Air owners will get first dibs on Dream Edition orders. If this forum is any indication, quite a few Air owners will add or switch to a Gravity, perhaps enough to soak up a lot of the Dream production. (I intend to be one of them.). And why would Lucid overly constrict the supply of Dream Editions to newcomers to the brand who have been waiting for the SUV and are willing to spring for -- or even demand -- the top trim level?
Actually, I think they said that the first people to be offered a reservation/order for the Gravity were going to be the Air Dream Edition people, followed by the rest of the Air owners.

Actually, I think they said that the first people to be offered a reservation/order for the Gravity were going to be the Air Dream Edition people, followed by the rest of the Air owners.

Here's hoping. I'm also on a notification list with the sales team at West Palm Beach, both as to when a demo will be in the showroom and when orders open up.

I spoke to a studio advisor at the Scottsdale location. They said orders will open up late summer to reduce the wait time between deposit and delivery. He also said they will likely follow Air's delivery cadence of highest trim first then down to their "pure" equivalent trim. So may be up to a year after DE get delivered before the $80k base models roll out depending on production timelines..

Here are some pictures. So cool to finally see it in person!

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2224.jpg
    IMG_2224.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
Did you get a sense of third-row space?
Yes. The trunk was open with 1 seat down and from what I could see it seemed very spacious/comfortable for someone like me (over 6 feet tall). Didn't get a chance to sit in it but hopefully will soon.

Did you get a sense of third-row space?
It looks like the car is roped, so I wouldn’t think so. Maybe if he somehow got a sight (likely impossible) that could be answered?

edit:never mind

It looks like the car is roped, so I wouldn’t think so. Maybe if he somehow got a sight (likely impossible) that could be answered?

edit:never mind
It’s big. It’s not “good enough for a six foot adult for a cross country road trip” big, but it’s definitely “good enough for a six foot adult for a few hours” big.

For small/medium adults and kids, they could sit there forever.

Everywhere I've seen too suggests to put someone 6 ft or shorter back there, but it's very comfortable for someone who is in the height category it's designed for

Everywhere I've seen too suggests to put someone 6 ft or shorter back there, but it's very comfortable for someone who is in the height category it's designed for
This is a great time to remind everyone that 88% of all humans are shorter than 6 feet tall.

This is a great time to remind everyone that 88% of all humans are shorter than 6 feet tall.
Don't forget though, a lot of people level out at 5'10-11, which is only slightly shorter than 6 feet tall.

Also, I will NEVER understand why legroom is qualified as height, when leg lengths are much more relevant. Yes, I do understand that most people don't just have their leg length lying around, but virtually all cars these days have sufficient headroom leaving total height almost irrelevant.

. . . but virtually all cars these days have sufficient headroom leaving total height almost irrelevant.

You might want to check out some video reviews of the rear seat of the Mercedes EQS.

You might want to check out some video reviews of the rear seat of the Mercedes EQS.
Well, its not "roomy" per se, but it is still sufficient for many. Here is Mat Watson of Carwow, who I believe is around 6 feet:
1707092273029.png

A new article about the Gravity Dream Edition throws a couple of my assumptions into doubt.

I disagree with making 440 units limited Dream Edition. I believe it should not be capped for any symbolic number but should be like Rivian “Launch Edition” to get as many out as possible. Making too many trim and slow down delivery may be mistake like early Air did. Just get them out on the streets ASAP for brand recognition instead of making exclusivity.

I disagree with making 440 units limited Dream Edition. I believe it should not be capped for any symbolic number but should be like Rivian “Launch Edition” to get as many out as possible. Making too many trim and slow down delivery may be mistake like early Air did. Just get them out on the streets ASAP for brand recognition instead of making exclusivity.
Weren't launch editions capped too? I remember them being sold out when I first placed my order.

Weren't launch editions capped too? I remember them being sold out when I first placed my order.

I reserved a Launch Edition R1S in February 2019. When spring of 2023 came and went without my ever having been contacted by a "Rivian Guide" (despite promises it would happen before Thanksgiving 2022), I canceled my reservation. I wonder if there was a Launch Edition waiting list at that point?

I disagree with making 440 units limited Dream Edition. I believe it should not be capped for any symbolic number . . . .

Agree. I wanted the Air Dream Edition for its extra power. I have always felt the "exclusivity factor" is largely an artificial construct manufactured by marketing departments and seldom real product advances driven by engineers.

One of the things that impressed me early on about Lucid was a conversation I had with Zak Edson, VP of Sales & Service, a year before the Dream entered production. He told me about the unique metallurgy of the Dream Edition rear motor and other engineering features of the car, such as the proprietary chemistry of the Samsung batteries used in its 118-kWh battery pack. He said the Dream Edition originated from a desire by Peter Rawlinson to see just how far they could take the car's platform with a dual-motor configuration from an engineering perspective without having to make cost too much a factor.

Yeah, it was offered in a unique exterior and interior color, but it was also a different car to drive. That is what I'm hoping for the Gravity Dream Edition . . . a difference you feel behind the wheel without going into the extremes of Sapphire territory. And I hope they make them available to all who are willing to pay for them.

I reserved a Launch Edition R1S in February 2019. When spring of 2023 came and went without my ever having been contacted by a "Rivian Guide" (despite promises it would happen before Thanksgiving 2022), I canceled my reservation. I wonder if there was a Launch Edition waiting list at that point?

Agree. I wanted the Air Dream Edition for its extra power. I have always felt the "exclusivity factor" is largely an artificial construct manufactured by marketing departments and seldom real product advances driven by engineers.

One of the things that impressed me early on about Lucid was a conversation I had with Zak Edson, VP of Sales & Service, a year before the Dream entered production. He told me about the unique metallurgy of the Dream Edition rear motor and other engineering features of the car, such as the proprietary chemistry of the Samsung batteries used in its 118-kWh battery pack. He said the Dream Edition originated from a desire by Peter Rawlinson to see just how far they could take the car's platform with a dual-motor configuration from an engineering perspective without having to make cost too much a factor.

Yeah, it was offered in a unique exterior and interior color, but it was also a different car to drive. That is what I'm hoping for the Gravity Dream Edition . . . a difference you feel behind the wheel without going into the extremes of Sapphire territory. And I hope they make them available to all who are willing to pay for them.
In addition to the fact that the Air DE had VERY strong demand. There are many current GT owners that only got it because the DE was not available.. if Lucid made 1000-1500 DE airs available they would have sold all of them. Being a SUV, there should be a LOT more demand for the DE Gravity. To date, there have been no 150k+ EV SUVS, which some rich people may just want because its more expensive than anything else.

In addition to the fact that the Air DE had VERY strong demand.

To the extent it did, it came fairly late in the game. My original reservation was not for a Dream Edition. It was almost a year after I put in the initial reservation that I decided the car looked promising enough to up the ante. I called Lucid, expecting at best to be told I would be put on a wait list. However, they switched me immediately to a Dream Edition and backdated it to my original reservation date. My financial advisor had also put in his reservation for a non-Dream. When I told him I had switched with no problem, he did the same. (He actually got his car about month before I did, as I opted to switch to Zenith Red when it became available shortly before production start, and the Reds ran later in the production queue.)

Back