Grand Touring Tracker (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just talked to my rep and got a VIN update. Before I talk of that, on March 22nd, Lucid announced that they are going to "Nvidia’s end-to-end Drive Hyperion platform". I had asked my rep if that meant that existing Lucid Airs are 1) Using the platform already? 2) Will be running an out of date platform already, and they are stuck with that, or 3) will be upgraded to the current platform. He did not have that information as yet. The issue(s) here would be support of an older platform and a newer platform. So in the computer world, older platforms stop getting support at some point and usually are delayed as far as improvements and fixes are concerned. I don't really want to deal with that issue, so I hope that my GT has the new platform.

Anyway, my VIN assignment is now predicted to be May 20th, with delivery 3 weeks later unless I want to go pick up my vehicle remotely from the Houston service center at my own cost, which knocks a week off that time. That puts the delivery time at 5+ months rather than 2-4 weeks promised.
The new Hyperion 9 platform for NVIDIA is slated to be on 2026 vehicles. So unless you wait for 3-4 years, you are stuck with the rest of us using Hyperion 8!

This is strange. If they're trying to convince people to take this over the Plaid then it's priced completely wrong. From an engineering standpoint it's ahead of the Tesla as the Plaid is Tri-Motor but Lucid with Dual-Motor is charging more. It's 0-60 is slower than the Plaid and they're asking a $50K premium for 30HP and 100 extra miles. 🤔
I agree. I thinking is a odd marketing decision, and just makes the car look overpriced and out of reach for even more people.

It is a new model and Lucid is basing the cost on comparative models in the industry. Prices are going up.
Yes, understood. Even so, in my view , it’s far too expensive.

Yes, understood. Even so, in my view , it’s far too expensive.
Well, I would not buy it since I am satisfied with 800hp. 6.625# per HP is fine. I already have a car with 4.25#/HP, so I don't need a luxury car with 4.9# per HP.

But If I wanted a something like a Tesla plaid, I would consider it because I consider Teslas to be poorly manufactured (fit/finish) with poor quality interiors, ergonomics and poor styling. Think Tesla as Chevrolet vs Lucid as Rolls Royce... I fully expect to get blasted for such talk. :)

Well, I would not buy it since I am satisfied with 800hp. 6.625# per HP is fine. I already have a car with 4.25#/HP, so I don't need a luxury car with 4.9# per HP.

But If I wanted a something like a Tesla plaid, I would consider it because I consider Teslas to be poorly manufactured (fit/finish) with poor quality interiors, ergonomics and poor styling. Think Tesla as Chevrolet vs Lucid as Rolls Royce... I fully expect to get blasted for such talk. :)
Yes, totally understand and agree with your assessment of quality!!
I hope they sell them, I really do.
And don’t worry, you won’t get blasted here for such talk. 😉😉

Anyway, my VIN assignment is now predicted to be May 20th, with delivery 3 weeks later unless I want to go pick up my vehicle remotely from the Houston service center at my own cost, which knocks a week off that time. That puts the delivery time at 5+ months rather than 2-4 weeks promised.
Join the club. What exterior color did you order?

I don’t understand the wisdom of introducing this model.
More expensive then the Dream, less range, etc.
Maybe there is a group of people who missed out on the Dream edition and want this, but I imagine the numbers will be very very limited.
I don’t imagine it would be that many. A lot of us, including me back in September, were asked if we wanted to upgrade to the Dream. I said there was nothing on it that would be worth the extra money For me. On this one, especially so with the massive cut in range.

Join the club. What exterior color did you order?
Red, Santa Cruz, 21" wheels. I was told in March that my VIN assignment was close, but it is instead 5 weeks from now. 11-16 preorder date 1/6 order date, 5/20 projected VIN and 6/10 projected delivery.

Red, Santa Cruz, 21" wheels. I was told in March that my VIN assignment was close, but it is instead 5 weeks from now. 11-16 preorder date 1/6 order date, 5/20 projected VIN and 6/10 projected delivery.
At some point anyone who confirmed past the first of the year will be put on hold as they have a ton of grey GTs backed up from the three November and one December confirmation batches. Some of those people preordered in 2019. Perhaps that is what is happening now.

At some point anyone who confirmed past the first of the year will be put on hold as they have a ton of grey GTs backed up from the three November and one December confirmation batches. Some of those people preordered in 2019. Perhaps that is what is happening now.

This is why I didn't expect my VIN until June. I thought the grey GTs would take precedence before the paint shop switched back to red again. I'm surprised that it's taken this long to harmonize, but it makes sense for Lucid to churn out as many body parts as it can in the colors it can produce in the meantime. I feel bad for the folks who ordered grey. But at least they'll be the first grey Lucids out on the street while the rest of the colors will be a dime a dozen.

One of those in the Goose Island center picture is mine! I got the call they’re delivering it to me next week on the 21st, said it was at Goose Island currently. My DA Maryam is awesome, she showed me the car in the NYC studio and she’s helping open the Boston studio so she’ll be delivering my car in person.

Yeah, I got that feel as well. My DA confirmed that they are firing up gray models. Still, I wonder how many folks ordered grey as compared to Red, White or black. SInce I got pushed back to June, I wonder if I should go back to my Silver first choice? It will only cost me a month I think.

I got something, not quite a complete answer. https://insideevs.com/news/576525/lucid-byd-choose-nvidia-drive-hyperion-av-platform-their-evs/

So, we will have "some" version of the nvidia platform. I am still looking for a bit more info.
Thanks for your research on this, I look forward to any feedback you get from your DA....I will ask my DA the same questions in 10 days. Similar to you, I am in Dallas. Currently planning on Home Delivery. What were your primary reasons for Houston Service Center Delivery? My GT is: 3/9/22 Reservation, 3/22/22 Conformation...waiting on VIN. Black/Mojave/21"

Yeah, I got that feel as well. My DA confirmed that they are firing up gray models. Still, I wonder how many folks ordered grey as compared to Red, White or black. SInce I got pushed back to June, I wonder if I should go back to my Silver first choice? It will only cost me a month I think.
On the other forum, grey and red were the most popular colors, up to 40% each so my guess is that there are a large number of grey orders backed up.

Edit. Did a quick calculation for the GTs in my spreadsheet. Approximately:
36% red
33% grey
15% white
10% black
6% silver

Last edited:
Thanks for your research on this, I look forward to any feedback you get from your DA....I will ask my DA the same questions in 10 days. Similar to you, I am in Dallas. Currently planning on Home Delivery. What were your primary reasons for Houston Service Center Delivery? My GT is: 3/9/22 Reservation, 3/22/22 Conformation...waiting on VIN. Black/Mojave/21"
I considered picking up in Houston, so I could get the vehicle a week earlier. Still, it cuts Lucid costs by about a man day and a half as well as transport costs, so maybe 1+ k? They do not compensate us for our costs that save them money, so I may just make them deliver to Dallas. It will depend on the timing.

The pre-production GT at the NYC studio is the cosmos silver color, it looks outstanding, almost diamond like sparkle to it. Never seen a better silver on a car, not kidding. So they know how to make it, but it must be very challenging I guess.
Thanks, I need all the encouragement I can get waiting for a silver car I haven't even seen.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back