GT Order in Chicago Area and Test Drive

Mkavouras

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid grand touring
Good afternoon Lucid Owners Forum!

I’ve been a member here a while but haven’t posted yet. I wanted to share my information. Currently driving a Taycan 4S but have put in my order for the LUCID White Grand Touring. Here’s details (not sure how to add to the master tracker so hopefully this is the right way to share)….

White Grand Touring with 21” Aero Blade wheels
Santa Cruz Interior

Original Reservation Date: December 2, 2021
Order Date: March 5th, 2022
Order Confirmed on March 8th, 2022.
Test Drive at Oak Brook (Chicago suburb) location on April 9th

No VIN yet.

In terms of the test drive, a few things stood out. It was a fantastic driving vehicle! Really enjoyed the test drive, most of the software seemed to work fine ( couple of times where the press of a touchscreen wasn’t responsive but worked on a second attempt). The regenerative braking was much stronger than I was used to in my Taycan but after about 15 minutes, felt more comfortable. The test drive reinforced my decision. My son came with me who is 6 foot 2 and he was very comfortable in the backseat (including head room). I’ve had concerns about the software but it hasn’t been great in my Taycan either, and Porche never pushed out any material OTA updates (whereas this seems to be a regular occurrence with Lucid which is more reassuring to me). Finally, I did not that they adjusted their projected timeframe for me from 2-4 months (when I put in the order) to 2-5 months. Not sure why they continue to hold firm on that 2 month timeframe, which seems unrealistic. But I‘m not in a rush so it’s not an issue for me and like others have commented, hoping software bugs get better during the wait.

Looking forward to participating more often in the Forum now that my decision has been firmed up.

Welcome, I was just at Oak Brook today, truly a wonderful mall. I am hopeful to test drive a Touring in the future.

Welcome, I was just at Oak Brook today, truly a wonderful mall. I am hopeful to test drive a Touring in the future.
I also was at Oak Brook today. Got really lost. That center is a maze. Should have paid better attention to my parking location. Took a while to find my car.

I have an air GT reserved there! Lol. Small world.

Good afternoon Lucid Owners Forum!

I’ve been a member here a while but haven’t posted yet. I wanted to share my information. Currently driving a Taycan 4S but have put in my order for the LUCID White Grand Touring. Here’s details (not sure how to add to the master tracker so hopefully this is the right way to share)….

White Grand Touring with 21” Aero Blade wheels
Santa Cruz Interior

Original Reservation Date: December 2, 2021
Order Date: March 5th, 2022
Order Confirmed on March 8th, 2022.
Test Drive at Oak Brook (Chicago suburb) location on April 9th

No VIN yet.

In terms of the test drive, a few things stood out. It was a fantastic driving vehicle! Really enjoyed the test drive, most of the software seemed to work fine ( couple of times where the press of a touchscreen wasn’t responsive but worked on a second attempt). The regenerative braking was much stronger than I was used to in my Taycan but after about 15 minutes, felt more comfortable. The test drive reinforced my decision. My son came with me who is 6 foot 2 and he was very comfortable in the backseat (including head room). I’ve had concerns about the software but it hasn’t been great in my Taycan either, and Porche never pushed out any material OTA updates (whereas this seems to be a regular occurrence with Lucid which is more reassuring to me). Finally, I did not that they adjusted their projected timeframe for me from 2-4 months (when I put in the order) to 2-5 months. Not sure why they continue to hold firm on that 2 month timeframe, which seems unrealistic. But I‘m not in a rush so it’s not an issue for me and like others have commented, hoping software bugs get better during the wait.

Looking forward to participating more often in the Forum now that my decision has been firmed up.
Why would you order the 21s in Chicago?

I don't know were you folks live but the roads here are pothole parties.

There is not enough sidewall on the 21s (probably close to the same situation on the 20s) to be able to soak up the bumps without flats, sidewall bubbles and wheel damage.

I spoke with someone within Lucid (not the empty headed folks at the store) and she agreed, 19s are the way to go here.

He ordered in the oakbrook one, so I assume the op lives in the suburbs where the roads are fine.

If he lived in the city he prolly would have ordered from the goose island location in the city.

But honestly. To each their own.

Can you order from the Goose Island facility? I thought that is just a service center.

Overcharged —- it’s a good thing we live in the good old U.S.A where we can make personal choices. The one I made to purchase the 21s was an informed one based on my personal preferences (aesthetics of the 21s versus the 19s which I didn’t love) as we all my personal experiences. 99% of my driving is in the suburbs where I live (I take the Metra into the city); #2 - My current car as the larger rims and on the occasion I’ve driven into the city I‘be never had one issue in my many years of driving in the city. Perhaps your routes are in pohthole ravaged part of the city, who knows? But that’s your choice to make no different would I criticize your choice of paint color or trim. Enjoy your car in the construction you decided on. I’ll go with my preferences and very happy with them.

Please don't take my input as criticism.

Auto forums are all about sharing/comparing experiences.

I agree the 21s look much better.

My wife and I go hiking in the burbs and beyond most weekends and I see road problems North West and South of the City.

You have both luck and a magic touch for avoiding the tire shop.

Please don't take my input as criticism.

Auto forums are all about sharing/comparing experiences.

I agree the 21s look much better.

My wife and I go hiking in the burbs and beyond most weekends and I see road problems North West and South of the City.

You have both luck and a magic touch for avoiding the tire shop.
I wanted the 20's for aesthetics but opted for the 19's because they are available and come with all season tires. I have 20's on my current daily driver, I also keep a spare wheel and tire on hand so I have something to drive on beside the temp spare while the wheel is getting repaired at Keystone, hopefully the 19's will alleviate some of the carnage.

You will probably want 19 winter tires. I have 21's for summer and 19"s for winter and swap.

Overcharged —- it’s a good thing we live in the good old U.S.A where we can make personal choices. The one I made to purchase the 21s was an informed one based on my personal preferences (aesthetics of the 21s versus the 19s which I didn’t love) as we all my personal experiences. 99% of my driving is in the suburbs where I live (I take the Metra into the city); #2 - My current car as the larger rims and on the occasion I’ve driven into the city I‘be never had one issue in my many years of driving in the city. Perhaps your routes are in pohthole ravaged part of the city, who knows? But that’s your choice to make no different would I criticize your choice of paint color or trim. Enjoy your car in the construction you decided on. I’ll go with my preferences and very happy
Overcharged —- it’s a good thing we live in the good old U.S.A where we can make personal choices. The one I made to purchase the 21s was an informed one based on my personal preferences (aesthetics of the 21s versus the 19s which I didn’t love) as we all my personal experiences. 99% of my driving is in the suburbs where I live (I take the Metra into the city); #2 - My current car as the larger rims and on the occasion I’ve driven into the city I‘be never had one issue in my many years of driving in the city. Perhaps your routes are in pohthole ravaged part of the city, who knows? But that’s your choice to make no different would I criticize your choice of paint color or trim. Enjoy your car in the construction you decided on. I’ll go with my preferences and very happy with them.
My town is commonly known as the “pothole capital of the world” and I can’t wait to put some welts in the tires of my 21s. 😂

You will probably want 19 winter tires. I have 21's for summer and 19"s for winter and swap.
A few years back I owned a glorious supercharged Jaguar XJL with 21" wheels and thin sidewalls. While taking some out of town friends from dinner in Lincoln Park to their Loop hotel I hit pothole on the Outer Drive. Three flats, 2 cracked rims and an hour plus on lower Grand Ave waiting for roadside asst. Might have happened to any wheel, but....?

tires are so hard to predict

I had 21s on a Lexus GS350 F in 5 years of ownership never had to buy a new set of tires. Would always get a flat somewhere. Became and expert in changing flats. Even put a blanket in the back to put on the ground when it happened.

I then had 21s on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and never had a flat for 3 years. Same driving.

Go figure. Chicago is so random.

Back