DreamDrive Pro

mnewber1

Cars
Air Touring
DE Number
For those of you wondering whether you need to add DreamDrive Pro at the time of configuration to get it, the answer is yes.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 10.24.14 AM.png

Could be another situation of spending $9,000 for software that won't be delivered until it's time to trade in your Air for the next model (looking at you, Tesla!). Quite a risk for Touring and Pure owners.

It seems unlikely to me that Lucid is so far ahead of the self-driving game that this is a good bet over the expected time of ownership.

Perhaps unless you take a lot of long road trips in good weather, on well-marked roads, with considerate other drivers.

One of my questions I submitted for the Earnings Call did ask when they plan to have Dream Drive Pro functional. However, they have preloaded the system with "softball" questions so not likely this one will get addressed.

For those of you wondering whether you need to add DreamDrive Pro at the time of configuration to get it, the answer is yes.

View attachment 909

Could be another situation of spending $9,000 for software that won't be delivered until it's time to trade in your Air for the next model (looking at you, Tesla!). Quite a risk for Touring and Pure owners.
So if Dream Drive Pro 'cannot be added after the fact', why does the Lucid Pure show it as an option? Interesting. ;) Personally I have no interest in it, but there is a disconnect here.

Well, considering how much pushback Tesla is getting on their FSD from regulators, I'm not sure how soon Lucid could get theirs implemented when Tesla has millions of miles more data to pool from. MAYBE, LIDAR would be the distinguishing factor, but I do not expect anything to be realized for a minimum of 3 years. I would just be happy with highway assist.

The full Lucid sensor suite, including Lidar, is necessary for Lucid ADAS to move from Level 2 to Level 3 functionality. This may well be doable in the 3-year time frame Lucid has mentioned.

Tesla is touting FSD as Level 4, which is a much more complicated level of autonomy and probably much farther away than Tesla will admit.

I think the odds of losing a bet that you will see Level 3 from Lucid during ownership are considerably lower than losing money on a $12,000 bet that Tesla will reach true self-driving during the ownership of one of their cars.

The full Lucid sensor suite, including Lidar, is necessary for Lucid ADAS to move from Level 2 to Level 3 functionality. This may well be doable in the 3-year time frame Lucid has mentioned.

Tesla is touting FSD as Level 4, which is a much more complicated level of autonomy and probably much farther away than Tesla will admit.

I think the odds of losing a bet that you will see Level 3 from Lucid during ownership are considerably lower than losing money on a $12,000 bet that Tesla will reach true self-driving during the ownership of one of their cars.
I guess the real question is, if Lucid can't get past level 3, is it worth the extra $9k?

In 3 years, if Lucid makes it to Level 3, their competitors will be there too. At that point, one might want a newer, shinier car anyway, and the $9k option will have provided benefit for only a short time.

My logic would be different if Lucid had actually demonstrated Level 3 functionality in a production car, or even better, in the car of someone on this forum.

I guess the real question is, if Lucid can't get past level 3, is it worth the extra $9k?

Not to me, and for the same reason we didn't pony up $10,000 (at the time) for FSD in our Tesla Plaid. I like driving cars and find even adaptive cruise control more annoying than useful except on very long trips on lightly-traveled roads -- something one almost never experiences these days.

I bought the Air Dream for several reasons, and DreamDrive Pro is not among them.

Honda in Japan is leasing a limited edition sedan (100 cars) with L3 autonomy. Hyundai says they will deliver L3 this year in a Genesis sedan. So Lucid is definitely late to the game. I think most of Lucid's competitors will be at L3 ahead of them. Lucid has stated that L3 is their end goal with the current iteration of hardware in a couple of video interviews.

As long as DD has ACC with lane centering and all the ADAS safety features, I don't care about L3 which is why I'm not adding it to my Touring. Adding glass canopy and debating surreal sound. And after reading @copper's review of 21 vs 19 tires, quieter/more comfortable ride is more important to me than slightly better handling and feel so going with 19s.

In 3 years, if Lucid makes it to Level 3, their competitors will be there too. At that point, one might want a newer, shinier car anyway, and the $9k option will have provided benefit for only a short time.

My logic would be different if Lucid had actually demonstrated Level 3 functionality in a production car, or even better, in the car of someone on this forum.
Actually, level 3 was active in Casa Grande, which is why I was surprised it wasn't available upon release.

Actually, level 3 was active in Casa Grande, which is why I was surprised it wasn't available upon release.
Due to a regulatory issue perhaps? Wonder why haven't they made a bigger deal of it in their PR?

Not to me, and for the same reason we didn't pony up $10,000 (at the time) for FSD in our Tesla Plaid. I like driving cars and find even adaptive cruise control more annoying than useful except on very long trips on lightly-traveled roads -- something one almost never experiences these days.

I bought the Air Dream for several reasons, and DreamDrive Pro is not among them.
I did not order the Plaid with FSD. I must admit that I drank the FSD koolAid with my three previous Teslas. All I need is a good cruise control on long distance trips.

You mean their highly anticipated and enthralling video of DDPro in action?

I suppose you're being facetious, but was there one after this I simply missed?
No, they hyped that video so much and made such a big deal of it, such a let down. But, at least I got to test it..

No, they hyped that video so much and made such a big deal of it, such a let down. But, at least I got to test it..
So how well did it work when you tested it?

Great actually...though, not much traffic to contend with so maybe not the best test?
So it held the lane on curves? Does it also automatically change lanes on the freeway to pass slower vehicles? What about knowing when to move over and exit the freeway automatically based upon the Navigation Route?

Back