I need to catch up quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcsteeve

Cars
Tesla
Hi. Sorry, I don't really have the time to do a deep dive into research. My Tesla was written off and I'm looking to replace it, but I wondered what options were out there.

The Lucid would be much, much more expensive, of course. All told I'm getting around C$100k from insurance. There's a Lucid Touring with Dreamdrive Pro and Surreal Sound Pro, red, glass platinum, 19" wheels for $147k, supposedly discounted from C$184k.

That's a metric ton of money no matter how you slice it, but how's the value?

The sales manager was pretty honest in telling me that DreamDrive Pro is like Tesla's FSD from 2019. I didn't have FSD in 2019 but I eventually got on the beta in 2021. It sucked for the first 6 months but by mid 2023 it was really quite good.

To those of you that know.... how does the Lucid really stack up against the S? What's better? What's worse?

I'm probably going to "downgrade" to a Model Y. But I might be convinced to "upgrade" to a Lucid. My biggest hesitation in leaving Tesla is the charging network, although honestly 99.5% of my charging is done at home so I'm not sure why that concerns me. The next biggest hesitation is FSD vs. DreamDrive. I know not everyone is a fan, but I really liked FSD. Getting DreamDrive for "free" is really the only reason I'm even considering switching.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Buy @noobzilla’s Pure and pocket the change :)

DDPro is good at lane keeping. It doesn’t change lanes or any of the other stuff Tesla AP supposedly does - but I don’t miss it at all. The self-park is better, too.

Hi. Sorry, I don't really have the time to do a deep dive into research. My Tesla was written off and I'm looking to replace it, but I wondered what options were out there.

The Lucid would be much, much more expensive, of course. All told I'm getting around C$100k from insurance. There's a Lucid Touring with Dreamdrive Pro and Surreal Sound Pro, red, glass platinum, 19" wheels for $147k, supposedly discounted from C$184k.

The sales manager was pretty honest in telling me that DreamDrive Pro is like Tesla's FSD from 2019. I didn't have FSD in 2019 but I eventually got on the beta in 2021. It sucked for the first 6 months but by mid 2023 it was really quite good.

To those of you that know.... how does the Lucid really stack up against the S? What's better? What's worse?

I'm probably going to "downgrade" to a Model Y. But I might be convinced to "upgrade" to a Lucid. My biggest hesitation in leaving Tesla is the charging network, although honestly 99.5% of my charging is done at home so I'm not sure why that concerns me. The next biggest hesitation is FSD vs. DreamDrive. I know not everyone is a fan, but I really liked FSD. Getting DreamDrive for "free" is really the only reason I'm even considering switching.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
That would mean around 73k USD, and as @Spin Doctor mentioned there are some pures being sold for around 75k(fully loaded).

Thoughts?

Thanks.
The lane keep and adaptive cruise is better in Lucid IMO. Missing features like auto lane change, navigating itself across interchanges, and being able to drive in the city. But, not sure how many highways are mapped in Canada though tbh.

Don’t forget the phantom braking too 😂

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Lucid is a drivers car....handles really well. Not having automation is not a negative. Once you get in a drive a Lucid, you never would want to use automated driving. That is how good it is to drive. Even after a year, I want to get in and drive. In fact, when I had to pick up a load of ice, I took my Lucid. Didn't care I would make it dirty. Left my ICE SUV in the garage and took the Lucid. That is how good it is!

Get a 22 GT, fully loaded, for right under your price range. Not sure of conversion rate though.

Edit: Conversion is roughly .75 CAD to USD. A used Pure would put you at break even.

I guess it isn't common knowledge.... but you can't just buy a rando used car in the USA and bring it into Canada. My option is the car I described... that's about it. Availability isn't even CLOSE to what you guys enjoy.

I guess it isn't common knowledge.... but you can't just buy a rando used car in the USA and bring it into Canada. My option is the car I described... that's about it. Availability isn't even CLOSE to what you guys enjoy.
I think we have a total of maybe 6 canadian owners? Most active here is not even Canadian, but travels, so maybe @Demosthenes can help with HA questions in Canada? Also, which part?

I drove a model S for 8 years. I got my Lucid Touring in August. I’m in Toronto. I LOVE driving the lucid. The S is in my garage and now I’m considering selling it. Yes, some of the features such as DDP are nowhere near tesla, but for now I don’t miss it, and I know it will just get better. The ride is so much better in the Lucid. I love looking at it. I charge at home so no big deal. That price is pretty good for what you are getting. I would be glad to answer your questions from a “Canadian” perspective. The service has been fantastic and I feel taken care of, unlike Tesla service. Oh, and highway assist works fine on most roads up here.

DDPro is good at lane keeping. It doesn’t change lanes or any of the other stuff Tesla AP supposedly does - but I don’t miss it at all. The self-park is better, too.
Granted, Tesla's self-park sucks rocks. My 1998 Lexus did better. It is a joke, and not a good one. I don't understand how Tesla could get that particular technology so, so, SO wrong. But I can park my own car, so whatever.

As for what Tesla P "supposedly does"... I'm not talking AP, I'm talking FSD... and it does a lot. I have to leave my garage and I have to park the car at the end (sigh), but otherwise it gets me from A to B by itself. On the highway, yes, but also in the city.
Lucid is a drivers car....handles really well. Not having automation is not a negative. Once you get in a drive a Lucid, you never would want to use automated driving.
Yeah, Tesla is a driver's car too. But we drivers rarely actually get to "drive" our cars. Anyone that calls themselves a "driver" and means stop and go traffic on their daily commute to work is... well... we're not the same :) Same for anyone that's talking about a long boring haul to grandma's on a multi-lane highway. Boring driving isn't for "drivers". Boring driving is for FSD. REAL driving... on a track or a windy road through the mountains... yeah, you take it out of FSD and you squeeze the wheel enough to make the leather creek just a little, and you go. And maybe Lucid does that better... I wouldn't know. But I'm more than satisfied with that element of Tesla too. Its the 90% boring drives where I'm thinking Tesla sounds like it is way out in front.
I drove a model S for 8 years. I got my Lucid Touring in August. I’m in Toronto. I LOVE driving the lucid. The S is in my garage and now I’m considering selling it. Yes, some of the features such as DDP are nowhere near tesla, but for now I don’t miss it, and I know it will just get better. The ride is so much better in the Lucid. I love looking at it. I charge at home so no big deal. That price is pretty good for what you are getting. I would be glad to answer your questions from a “Canadian” perspective. The service has been fantastic and I feel taken care of, unlike Tesla service. Oh, and highway assist works fine on most roads up here.
I appreciate that. The bulk of my driving is in town with traffic. I've gotten very, very used to having my car do that for me. I assumed DDP would be on par, but sounds like it isn't. I'm not sure I can count on it getting better over time... I mean... in some ways it really does look like LCID may be a few hiccups away from being in the history books. The fact their knocking $37k off is a bit telling. They may or may not survive, but I doubt they'll be investing much in DDP while they fight.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm very happy you like your cars, and this may be a regrettable decision one day (or not) but I think I'll slum it with a Model Y. This time I'll buy better insurance.

Before you go any further, why not arrange for a test drive if that’s possible? Then you can see why many of us who have owned Teslas (me a 2017 MS) chose to buy a Lucid instead. Granted we all have different priorities, but certainly a test drive is better than conjecturing.

From my own personal POV, there’s only one aspect of Tesla ownership that makes me jealous, and that’s the charging network. However even there thing will be changing for the better.

Last edited:
Before you go any further, why not arrange for a test drive if that’s possible?
Just time and convenient, and expense to some degree. The nearest showroom is a 4.5 hour drive, and without a car right now, I would have to fly then figure out transit to the showroom. If I were really convinced (by the conjecture) this was the way you go, I would do that. But I'm not.

Don't get be wrong. I can certainly believe that the Lucid is a superior vehicle in most ways. But don't forget that it is an extra $47k out of my pocket! So it had better be vastly superior in all (important to me) ways. DDP not being even close to FSD is a deal breaker. If I was getting full value from the insurance it would be different, I'm sure.

I'm also thinking I'm done with sedans. I get frustrated with what I can't fit in them. And the S is way better than most. I think the Model Y probably fits my family needs better anyway, it costing less is a bonus.

Thanks again.

Maybe true, I definitely can fit more stuff into the Lucid than the Model Y though, if storage space is a big factor for you.

But, it all makes sense, you can't appreciate the Lucid for what it is unless you drive it. If you aren't willing to go through that extra step, we can't convince you anyways. It honestly looks like you had your mind made up before this post, so best of luck to you.

Just time and convenient, and expense to some degree. The nearest showroom is a 4.5 hour drive, and without a car right now, I would have to fly then figure out transit to the showroom. If I were really convinced (by the conjecture) this was the way you go, I would do that. But I'm not.

Don't get be wrong. I can certainly believe that the Lucid is a superior vehicle in most ways. But don't forget that it is an extra $47k out of my pocket! So it had better be vastly superior in all (important to me) ways. DDP not being even close to FSD is a deal breaker. If I was getting full value from the insurance it would be different, I'm sure.

I'm also thinking I'm done with sedans. I get frustrated with what I can't fit in them. And the S is way better than most. I think the Model Y probably fits my family needs better anyway, it costing less is a bonus.

Thanks again.
I actually do think that the model y is the best option for your needs(just a point a-b car with some good autonomy).

Thanks again.
I went from a Model Y to a GT in late summer 2022, and it was sooooo worth it. I had to drive 5.5 hours from NH to NJ to get a test drive... hijacked my brother to do a road trip, bought him lunch and gave him half of my test drive time, and the only question I was left with was "was the Zenith Red the best choice in color"? Once I saw the sunlight hit it, THAT was answered. My brother (a mechanic and car buff for 45 years) had two pearls of wisdom for me on the 5.5 hour drive home: (1) I can't believe what a piece of $#!% this car is, and (2) If you don't buy that car, I may never speak to you again". Before making the appointment for the test drive, I had grilled the SA over the phone for almost two hours with questions about the car, some of which she couldn't answer, and she called me back the next day with the information. If you're looking at a car you are going to really drive, you need to not just do the research but also get the test drive to see how the real world feel of the product is. Rent a car for the day and hijack some friend(s) or family. Even if my software occasionally glitches, I switch to a different source (typically dead spots, so I have my USB for a backup) and just enjoy the drive. As other have said... it's scary how many times I "just need to go pick something up at the store" or "it's a great day to go check out someplace I heard about".

I'd write more, but I just realized I forgot something at the store...

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Most people do a “deep dive” when they buy a toaster, let alone a 6 figure car. I’m not sure I understand why you don’t have the time to hit the search feature on this forum, but have the time to post a thread, read the comments and reply. It sounds like you already have your mind made up about getting a Y and I doubt anyone here is going to be able to talk you into a Lucid based on your post. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

I actually do think that the model y is the best option for your needs(just a point a-b car with some good autonomy).
Our dealership was about 2-1/2 hours away. After we made the purchase and the vehicle was ready. Lucid paid to have a Lyft pick us up and drive us to the dealership. They may have a way get you there. And by the way, you want a Lucid! They are beyond amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back