Pulled the Trigger on Feb. 29th. ETA approx. 2 ~ 5 months.

It can be a good car and still be lazy - I think both are true.

BMW makes good cars; nobody Is really disputing that. It being an EV doesn't mean it will be less good of a car. But lazy it definitely is; they want to have a foot in the EV world, so that they remain relevant, but refuse to 'commit' to really designing a proper EV from the ground up. The excuse is that they think people want to 'transition' but that's not true; Tesla already solved that problem a decade ago, and EVs are no longer 'new'.

But to really build one from the ground up would require true investment of time and money, and they haven't done that. You could argue priorities or resting on their laurels or a dozen other things, but the design/engineering effort of it definitely isn't 'leading edge.' It's lazy; lazy isn't always bad, but it is always lazy. :)

(Doing things lazily is sometimes the right answer; let the other folks figure out the market and everything first, and just hang out and see where it goes, then jump in and try to do something real. That's a valid strategy many are following right now)
Yeah, no frunk, poor space, central transmission bulge, no dedicated platform. All those auto manufacturers delaying EV investments will see a day of reckoning. Lucid, Rivian and Tesla will be miles ahead!

BMW makes good cars; nobody Is really disputing that. It being an EV doesn't mean it will be less good of a car. But lazy it definitely is; they want to have a foot in the EV world, so that they remain relevant, but refuse to 'commit' to really designing a proper EV from the ground up. The excuse is that they think people want to 'transition' but that's not true; Tesla already solved that problem a decade ago, and EVs are no longer 'new'.

But to really build one from the ground up would require true investment of time and money, and they haven't done that. You could argue priorities or resting on their laurels or a dozen other things, but the design/engineering effort of it definitely isn't 'leading edge.' It's lazy; lazy isn't always bad, but it is always lazy. :)

(Doing things lazily is sometimes the right answer; let the other folks figure out the market and everything first, and just hang out and see where it goes, then jump in and try to do something real. That's a valid strategy many are following right now)
I agree with your first statement, but the rest of your argument I do not agree with. BMW has been quite vocal about the "power of choice," and with newer models such as the 7 series having EV, gas, and hybrid versions, they are certainly abiding to that (even the next M3 is rumored to have EV and S58's). When BMW actually does create a dedicated EV platform (the i3 platform was a marvel with all the CFRP..), it is always great. The BMW iX also uses a "EV edited" version of CLAR, and its interior space is proof it worked (other than the frunk issue). Neue Klasse models are coming soon that will make electric models completely different from the gas models (kind of like the EQ models), and the first example of this will be the next gen iX3 and the normal X3. For now, they are only sticking to one agenda, and that is the power of choice. You certainly can't disagree they are doing that specific thing well, even though some like us want an actually dedicated EV model.

A design choice does not necessarily imply laziness. We’ll agree to disagree on that point.

I agree with your first statement, but the rest of your argument I do not agree with. BMW has been quite vocal about the "power of choice," and with newer models such as the 7 series having EV, gas, and hybrid versions, they are certainly abiding to that (even the next M3 is rumored to have EV and S58's). When BMW actually does create a dedicated EV platform (the i3 platform was a marvel with all the CFRP..), it is always great. The BMW iX also uses a "EV edited" version of CLAR, and its interior space is proof it worked (other than the frunk issue). Neue Klasse models are coming soon that will make electric models completely different from the gas models (kind of like the EQ models), and the first example of this will be the next gen iX3 and the normal X3. For now, they are only sticking to one agenda, and that is the power of choice. You certainly can't disagree they are doing that specific thing well, even though some like us want an actually dedicated EV model.
I have no problem with choice. But that doesn't mean that the car has to be exactly the same with the exception of whether or not it has an engine. They could change the design of the EV version to have superior qualities, such as a frunk, no transmission tunnel, more interior space, and what have you.

But they don't do that; instead, they keep the designs precisely the same (almost), to save cost and time. And that's fine!

But it's also... lazy. And there's nothing wrong with lazy, as lazy saves cost and time. But it doesn't move the leading edge forward.

That's my only point. :)

I waited 2.5 years and have not regretted it. My Touring is a dream to drive for short hops and long road trips even though it doesn’t have the massage function. Dedicated engineering is the awesome soul of the car. My advice: Wait.

I respectfully disagree. BMW was one of the first companies to make a pure electric (I3) and the IX is designed as an electric from the ground up using the Neue Klasse platform. But BMW also made a decision, which is exactly that, not a lazy decision, that as a world wide luxury car company it had to continue to offer its ICE and hybrid models alongside its electric offerings.

BMW could have gone entirely for a skateboard EV platform as did Mercedes with its EQ platform but...we all saw how that went and now Mercedes is moving back toward EVs that are like their ICE offerings.

Rather than being a "lazy" choice, BMW made the decision to transition via shared platforms which required some quality engineering. Genesis made a similar decision creating the GV60 as a pure EV platform but electrifying other models. I test drove the IX and I4 and they drove very well, albeit not quite as well as a Lucid Air.

I respectfully disagree. BMW was one of the first companies to make a pure electric (I3) and the IX is designed as an electric from the ground up using the Neue Klasse platform. But BMW also made a decision, which is exactly that, not a lazy decision, that as a world wide luxury car company it had to continue to offer its ICE and hybrid models alongside its electric offerings.

BMW could have gone entirely for a skateboard EV platform as did Mercedes with its EQ platform but...we all saw how that went and now Mercedes is moving back toward EVs that are like their ICE offerings.

Rather than being a "lazy" choice, BMW made the decision to transition via shared platforms which required some quality engineering. Genesis made a similar decision creating the GV60 as a pure EV platform but electrifying other models. I test drove the IX and I4 and they drove very well, albeit not quite as well as a Lucid Air.
Agree on all counts. It was a purposeful decision, not laziness IMO. The fact that "despite" this BMW EV's beat the crap out of the EQ series on literally all counts (unless you like strip club interiors) shows that BMW is using CLAR to their benefit, and it is working very well. As you and I said previously, the i3 platform was purpose built and was a marvel of engineering. Of luxury legacy manufacturers, I happen to think BMW is in the lead (and across all products, maybe the Hyundai group and their E-GMP comes close to them?).

There is one thing wrong with what you said: the iX was not designed on Neue Klasse. It was designed on a heavily modified version of CLAR, and the first cars with Neue Klasse will be the next electric 3 series (previewed with the iNext) and the iX3 (of which spy photos are online).

I had thought about the iX after posting my i4/Lucid comparison but chose not to repost. However I had also forgotten about the i3, an EV on a bespoke platform. So clearly BMW is covering several bases and doing it well. Over 45,000 BMW EVs were sold in the U.S. in 2023, after a record 4th quarter of BMW EV sales. Since many (most?) of these are i4s, I’d say BMW’s approach is working. Many EV makers would love to have these sales numbers based on this ‘lazy’ approach. ;)

Hey all.

So I submitted the order back on Feb. 29th with the options/trims listed below... with some thoughts.
  • Touring
    (GT would've been nice, but honestly... overkill for me)
  • Fathom Blue Metallic
  • Stealth with Glass Canopy
    (Wish there were more outside photos or videos of this fathom blue + stealth combinations... Store-light and sun-light can be significantly different... but this review + fathom blue photos gave me a hope)
    https://driving.ca/reviews/first-drive/2024-lucid-air-pure-rwd-efficient-ev
  • 20" Aero Lite Stealth
    (I'd been ok with 19"... but the stealth option forced to 20")
  • Mojave PurLuxe Leather Alternative
    (Santa Cruz would've been nice, but to get the 20-way power + ventilation + massage in Touring trim... PurLuxe was only choice)
  • Surreal Sound Pro
    (Dolby Atmos Music!!!! another justification for the ridiculous Tidal's $20 hifi-plus membership)
  • DreamDrive Pro
    (Trusting/hoping that Lucid will deliver more capabilities through the OTA update)
  • 20-Way Power Heated Front Seats With Ventilation And Massage
    (Southern California weather + traffic congestion... I'd say this is mandatory)
  • Comfort and Convenience Package & Lucid User Experience with Navigation

As of March 6th, no existing/upcoming inventory that matches the trim/option.
My advisor said possibly two ~ up to 5 months.
Suppose I should be happy that Air is in demand and many people are purchasing the vehicle now... considering the number of Lucid stocks that I currently own.. (still minus for a long time... lol)
I can wait for now... but I'd admit that longer the wait, the BMW i5 M60 (and cheaper with fully loaded options) might tempt me more and more.
If you plan to own the car for a long time, think about 256mile epa range on 81kWh battery 3.2 miles per kWh BMW vs Touring 410miles epa range 92kWh battery 4.4 miles per kWh if you like the ugly grill. Anyway, that is just my opinion.

If you plan to own the car for a long time, think about 256mile epa range on 81kWh battery 3.2 miles per kWh BMW vs Touring 410miles epa range 92kWh battery 4.4 miles per kWh if you like the ugly grill. Anyway, that is just my opinion.
I don't like the ugly grille and that is why I am no longer driving a BMW. But that doesn't mean that BMW doesn't make great (albeit IMO ugly) cars.

And, BTW, the only way the Lucid gets 4.4 mkh is if you baby it and why the hell would one buy a Lucid and baby it.

Wow! I didn't even know you could get the fathom blue color for 2024 for a Touring model.. shows you what I know!

And, BTW, the only way the Lucid gets 4.4 mkh is if you baby it and why the hell would one buy a Lucid and baby it.
I wouldn’t normally, but having the *option* to is really convenient.

I don't like the ugly grille and that is why I am no longer driving a BMW. But that doesn't mean that BMW doesn't make great (albeit IMO ugly) cars.

My point is relative epa efficiency and not absolute at any driving speed

An ICE car converted to an EV is not great engineering.

Lol… I was swamped with work for the past few days… Didn’t expect my i5 BMW thought would stir a pot here.
I apologize to you all as it wasn’t my intention to compete/down-put one brand/car from another.
  • Most likely I’ll stick with ~5 months wait for Lucid AT as my Audi S5 is still going strong without any issues
    • My 'original' choice was the Audi e-tron A6 for the past 3 years... Believe me I also know 1 or 2 things about waiting
  • I just liked what I saw, read, and viewed in the BMW i5 M60 while I was cross-shopping for the past few months.
    • All cars are compromised to some degree…
    • From my point of view and the list of things i prioritize… the range and other ‘controversial’ things in i5 weren't an absolute deal breaker..at least for me.
    • “Look” is subjective… personally i felt the new i5 design was much ‘subtle’ than i7… or iX
    • I’d pick the interior design / UI of Lucid over BMW on any day…
Can’t imagine what I might have done in this forum if I mentioned MB-EQS.EQE… lol
And just for the record... no… I have never considered MB EQ series whatsoever. ;)

OP - FWIW when I did my test drive there was a Fathom Blue with Stealth and 20” on display and it was one of the best looking I’ve ever seen. The color looks so much better in person and the Stealth package really looks great. It was absolutely stunning.
Yes! Fathom blue + Glass Canopy Black Stealth was a love at first sight... the moment I entered the San Diego Lucid Store :)

Congratulations! This is going to be a beautiful configuration, and seems like you got a lot of the GT features anyway. For those of us who waited a rather long time (2 and a half years-but who’s counting) I can whole heartedly try to assure you that your 2-5 month wait is 100% worth every second! I know, it sounds like a “back in my day story” that doesn’t really apply to you, but it does. This car is fantastic and worth every dollar, wait, delay, niggle, and glitch. The driving experience is the leading feature. Enjoy when it comes, and make sure you post pictures for us!

Yes, this car definitely made my heart pounce... Can't wait to 'meet' my car... Hell, I'll fly out to the Casa Grande factory to pick it up if it comes to that. ;)

They just couldnt resist adding those terrible headlights and making the body look like a FWD 2 series GC though..

@northernstar the wait will be worth it, trust me! That is a BEAUTIFUL configuration you have, and I would definitely hold out! What are some other color options you have?

Silver or White + glass canopy platinum at first... until I saw the Fathom Blue + Stealth model... sitting pretty at the Lucid store. ;)

Back