Pulled the Trigger on Feb. 29th. ETA approx. 2 ~ 5 months.

northernstar

Cars
Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
X1Z1QZTQ
Hey all.

So I submitted the order back on Feb. 29th with the options/trims listed below... with some thoughts.
  • Touring
    (GT would've been nice, but honestly... overkill for me)
  • Fathom Blue Metallic
  • Stealth with Glass Canopy
    (Wish there were more outside photos or videos of this fathom blue + stealth combinations... Store-light and sun-light can be significantly different... but this review + fathom blue photos gave me a hope)
    https://driving.ca/reviews/first-drive/2024-lucid-air-pure-rwd-efficient-ev
  • 20" Aero Lite Stealth
    (I'd been ok with 19"... but the stealth option forced to 20")
  • Mojave PurLuxe Leather Alternative
    (Santa Cruz would've been nice, but to get the 20-way power + ventilation + massage in Touring trim... PurLuxe was only choice)
  • Surreal Sound Pro
    (Dolby Atmos Music!!!! another justification for the ridiculous Tidal's $20 hifi-plus membership)
  • DreamDrive Pro
    (Trusting/hoping that Lucid will deliver more capabilities through the OTA update)
  • 20-Way Power Heated Front Seats With Ventilation And Massage
    (Southern California weather + traffic congestion... I'd say this is mandatory)
  • Comfort and Convenience Package & Lucid User Experience with Navigation

As of March 6th, no existing/upcoming inventory that matches the trim/option.
My advisor said possibly two ~ up to 5 months.
Suppose I should be happy that Air is in demand and many people are purchasing the vehicle now... considering the number of Lucid stocks that I currently own.. (still minus for a long time... lol)
I can wait for now... but I'd admit that longer the wait, the BMW i5 M60 (and cheaper with fully loaded options) might tempt me more and more.

Hey all.

So I submitted the order back on Feb. 29th with the options/trims listed below... with some thoughts.
  • Touring
  • Fathom Blue Metallic
    (Wish there were more outside photos or videos of this fathom blue + stealth combinations... Store-light and sun-light can be significantly different... but this review + fathom blue photos gave me a hope)
  • 20" Aero Lite Stealth
    (Santa Cruz would've been nice, but to get the 20-way power + ventilation + massage in Touring trim... PurLuxe was only choice)
  • Surreal Sound Pro
    (Dolby Atmos Music!!!! another justification for the ridiculous Tidal's $20 hifi-plus membership)
  • DreamDrive Pro
    (Trusting/hoping that Lucid will deliver more capabilities through the OTA update)

Suppose I should be happy that Air is in demand and many people are purchasing the vehicle now... considering the number of Lucid stocks that I currently own.. (still minus for a long time... lol)
I can wait for now... but I'd admit that longer the wait, the BMW i5 M60 (and cheaper with fully loaded options) might tempt me more and more.
The BMW i5 is yet another example of the deep compromises that are forced to occur when leveraging one vehicle platform for multiple models for both EV and ICE propulsion. For the EV variant, weight goes up, range and interior space go down. Style is subjective but with BMW’s current design language there is an exaggerated cartoonish grille symbolic of when cars had large cooling radiators up front which looks all the more silly in EV configuration.

The BMW i5 is yet another example of the deep compromises that are forced to occur when leveraging one vehicle platform for multiple models for both EV and ICE propulsion. For the EV variant, weight goes up, range and interior space go down. Style is subjective but with BMW’s current design language there is an exaggerated cartoonish grille symbolic of when cars had large cooling radiators up front which looks all the more silly in EV configuration.
Have you seen the I5? BMW has, so far, avoided sticking the butt ugly grilles on its key 5 series. No cartoonish grille. Now...on the IX and I4...don't get me started.

Hey all.

• Touring
  • Fathom Blue Metallic
  • 20" Aero Lite Stealth
  • Surreal Sound Pro
  • DreamDrive Pro

Congratulations! This is going to be a beautiful configuration, and seems like you got a lot of the GT features anyway. For those of us who waited a rather long time (2 and a half years-but who’s counting) I can whole heartedly try to assure you that your 2-5 month wait is 100% worth every second! I know, it sounds like a “back in my day story” that doesn’t really apply to you, but it does. This car is fantastic and worth every dollar, wait, delay, niggle, and glitch. The driving experience is the leading feature. Enjoy when it comes, and make sure you post pictures for us!

Have you seen the I5? BMW has, so far, avoided sticking the butt ugly grilles on its key 5 series. No cartoonish grille. Now...on the IX and I4...don't get me started.
They just couldnt resist adding those terrible headlights and making the body look like a FWD 2 series GC though..

@northernstar the wait will be worth it, trust me! That is a BEAUTIFUL configuration you have, and I would definitely hold out! What are some other color options you have?

They just couldnt resist adding those terrible headlights and making the body look like a FWD 2 series GC though..

@northernstar the wait will be worth it, trust me! That is a BEAUTIFUL configuration you have, and I would definitely hold out! What are some other color options you have?
This comment rubs me the wrong way. Just to clarify for the OP, xponents does not have a Lucid.

This comment rubs me the wrong way. Just to clarify for the OP, xponents does not have a Lucid.
True, but its also true that the i5 M60 is objectively worse than the Lucid in almost all metrics with the actual car (maybe software is better). I suppose the choice between the two depends on OP's design preferences and whether they would want an established brand or are fine with Lucid's system. I would personally go the Lucid way to get the objectively better car, which is my preference. My intent was absolutely not to say that I had the car and it is so good that the wait would be worth it, I was comparing the objective specs between the two cars.

Personally, I'll take option #3 any day! (the BMW headlights do look like they came from the same parts bin)

1. BMW 2 Series GC
1709825937592.png

2. BMW i5 M60
1709825990878.png

3. Lucid Air
1709826206165.png

OP - FWIW when I did my test drive there was a Fathom Blue with Stealth and 20” on display and it was one of the best looking I’ve ever seen. The color looks so much better in person and the Stealth package really looks great. It was absolutely stunning.

Hey all.

• Touring
  • Fathom Blue Metallic
  • 20" Aero Lite Stealth
  • Surreal Sound Pro
  • DreamDrive Pro

Nooooooo…..don’t even look at BMW i5, compromised EV. Any EV made on an ICE platform is lazy engineering, cheap, pointless for an EV.

Don’t call my child ugly! Besides, the grill grows on you…as well as on the car. Nah, I love it, great car. :)

Don’t call my child ugly! Besides, the grill grows on you…as well as on the car. Nah, I love it, great car. :)
I believe that Lucken and I have come to an understanding. On most things we agree; on the front end of many newer BMWs...no. But unlike politics today, we can disagree without being disagreeable.

I do agree with you on the car itself, minus the design. BMW really has done a good job on electrics.

Nooooooo…..don’t even look at BMW i5, compromised EV. Any EV made on an ICE platform is lazy engineering, cheap, pointless for an EV.
So let me try to put things in perspective from the vantage point of an actual owner of both an i4 and a Lucid:

* Not everyone is looking for a cavernous rear seat or even a frunk, so this may not be part of the buying equation for many.
* BMW's initial logic behind the i4 was the feeling that many of their buyers wanted to ease the transition to electric and going with a familiar design would do just that.
* The handling of the i4 actually surpasses that of my Lucid. It is smaller and lighter, so part of that is physics, but it is what it is. Let's be honest, BMW has a reputation for great handling cars and the i4 is no exception. The disparity isn't great, but it is noticeable. The bottom line is it's a car that's a hell of a lot of fun to drive.
* Yes, the rear seat is cramped, but entirely livable for short to moderate drives. The Lucid is there for longer drives if we're carrying more than two.
* The i4 is quiet with no wind noise at all, not unlike my Lucid. However I'd probably say the i4 is a bit quieter due mainly to the lack of motor whine.
* The i4 is certainly powerful enough for my purposes if not as powerful as my Lucid.
* The software is bulletproof, with no glitches whatsoever.
* The i4's range exceeds that of the EPA estimate as do many German and Korean vehicles. On the highway I have no trouble exceeding 330 miles. Yes, not Lucid territory, but still very adequate & efficient for many purposes.
* The upgraded Harmon Kardon system is excellent, but a shade below that of the Lucid. It's gotten some superb reviews by audiophiles.
* The car itself has been as solid as one could possibly hope for. It's coming up on 2 years and 17,000 miles of ownership and I've never had a single issue nor a visit to the dealer for anything to be corrected. I hope my Lucid performs at the same level...so far so good.
* I enjoy the i4's heads-up display and do miss it to an extent in the Lucid.
* There's probably little point in mentioning aesthetics since that's so subjective, but I do prefer the looks of the Lucid. However I obviously have a different opinion of the i4 than many here. I happen to think the car is, overall, quite handsome.

If I had to have only one car, it would still be the Lucid, partly for its uniqueness partly for its well-rounded abilities & features. However that doesn't discount the fact that the i4 is an absolutely terrific car. I think many really miss the whole idea of some current BMWs simply because they're not on a bespoke EV platform. For those not looking for cavernous spaces, putting an EV on a tried & proven ICE platform is not a bad idea nor would I call it 'lazy'.

So let me try to put things in perspective from the vantage point of an actual owner of both an i4 and a Lucid:

* Not everyone is looking for a cavernous rear seat or even a frunk, so this may not be part of the buying equation for many.
* BMW's initial logic behind the i4 was the feeling that many of their buyers wanted to ease the transition to electric and going with a familiar design would do just that.
* The handling of the i4 actually surpasses that of my Lucid. It is smaller and lighter, so part of that is physics, but it is what it is. Let's be honest, BMW has a reputation for great handling cars and the i4 is no exception. The disparity isn't great, but it is noticeable. The bottom line is it's a car that's a hell of a lot of fun to drive.
* Yes, the rear seat is cramped, but entirely livable for short to moderate drives. The Lucid is there for longer drives if we're carrying more than two.
* The i4 is quiet with no wind noise at all, not unlike my Lucid. However I'd probably say the i4 is a bit quieter due mainly to the lack of motor whine.
* The i4 is certainly powerful enough for my purposes if not as powerful as my Lucid.
* The software is bulletproof, with no glitches whatsoever.
* The i4's range exceeds that of the EPA estimate as do many German and Korean vehicles. On the highway I have no trouble exceeding 330 miles. Yes, not Lucid territory, but still very adequate & efficient for many purposes.
* The upgraded Harmon Kardon system is excellent, but a shade below that of the Lucid. It's gotten some superb reviews by audiophiles.
* The car itself has been as solid as one could possibly hope for. It's coming up on 2 years and 17,000 miles of ownership and I've never had a single issue nor a visit to the dealer for anything to be corrected. I hope my Lucid performs at the same level...so far so good.
* I enjoy the i4's heads-up display and do miss it to an extent in the Lucid.
* There's probably little point in mentioning aesthetics since that's so subjective, but I do prefer the looks of the Lucid. However I obviously have a different opinion of the i4 than many here. I happen to think the car is, overall, quite handsome.

If I had to have only one car, it would still be the Lucid, partly for its uniqueness partly for its well-rounded abilities & features. However that doesn't discount the fact that the i4 is an absolutely terrific car. I think many really miss the whole idea of some current BMWs simply because they're not on a bespoke EV platform. For those not looking for cavernous spaces, putting an EV on a tried & proven ICE platform is not a bad idea nor would I call it 'lazy'.
It can be a good car and still be lazy - I think both are true.

BMW makes good cars; nobody Is really disputing that. It being an EV doesn't mean it will be less good of a car. But lazy it definitely is; they want to have a foot in the EV world, so that they remain relevant, but refuse to 'commit' to really designing a proper EV from the ground up. The excuse is that they think people want to 'transition' but that's not true; Tesla already solved that problem a decade ago, and EVs are no longer 'new'.

But to really build one from the ground up would require true investment of time and money, and they haven't done that. You could argue priorities or resting on their laurels or a dozen other things, but the design/engineering effort of it definitely isn't 'leading edge.' It's lazy; lazy isn't always bad, but it is always lazy. :)

(Doing things lazily is sometimes the right answer; let the other folks figure out the market and everything first, and just hang out and see where it goes, then jump in and try to do something real. That's a valid strategy many are following right now)

Back