I need to catch up quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for what Tesla P "supposedly does"... I'm not talking AP, I'm talking FSD... and it does a lot. I have to leave my garage and I have to park the car at the end (sigh), but otherwise it gets me from A to B by itself. On the highway, yes, but also in the city.
DDP does not do this. Not even remotely close. Sounds like that’s the deciding point for OP? If so, then MY is probably right choice.

Go to Lucid and test drive the Air. See how you like it. If you want the FSD function and good reliable charging network, you should go with MS.

I'm probably going to "downgrade" to a Model Y. But I might be convinced to "upgrade" to a Lucid. My biggest hesitation in leaving Tesla is the charging network, although honestly 99.5% of my charging is done at home so I'm not sure why that concerns me. The next biggest hesitation is FSD vs. DreamDrive. I know not everyone is a fan, but I really liked FSD. Getting DreamDrive for "free" is really the only reason I'm even considering switching.
Good luck as well. The Y doesn't compare to the Lucid but neither does the cost.

If you are considering a Y, and you do 99% of your charging at home, there are many other alternatives in your price range or below it. I am currently driving a Genesis GV60 Performance which has the essential performance of the Y combined with luxury features. You could also look at the Kia EV6 (several varieties), the Polestar 2, the Volvo XC40 recharge, etc.

Personally, I don't want to drive a car that makes me look sideways to see the speed. I want a display in front of me and a HUD (especially the latter). perhaps I am spoiled but I had a HUD with my prior BMWs and with my current GV60P and love being able to see the essentials while keeping my eyes on the road.

I will give my two cents as I’m in the same boat as you comparing the same two cars.

I had a model 3 dual motor with FSD, but for family use case, I’ve been looking at the lucid and the model y performance. The lucid is almost double the cost. I’m primarily leaning lucid because I prefer low sedans and the better performance, also it’s not as common as a Camry on the roads of the Bay Area. Model Y is phenomenal value for the practicality, but it’s just too ordinary. I’m going lucid for 18 month lease, then will re-evaluate. To save a bit on cost, I’m even going to skip DD Pro. It’s a joke compared to FSD as it is, and I don’t feel the need to pay $9k for lane keep assist.

I used FSD city streets a lot on my model 3, was in the initial 100 safety score beta group, but it takes the fun out of driving. You end up getting everywhere slow because it can’t aggressively switch lanes to get around traffic or slow cars or lights that are about to go red, etc…

I want to enjoy driving and the performance of the car I paid for! If you really want to use FSD, just get the slowest Tesla model you can and let it ride lol

I came from a Model S Plaid with FSD (had 2 MYs before the S though) to a Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance fully loaded and I think there are pros for each vehicle. I will say for your use case, the MY is probably the right option. Here are the top pros that come to my mind of each.

Lucid Pros:
Interior quality of materials
Build quality
Comfort
Suspension
Driving dynamics are AMAZING
Backseat space
Traditional stalks and driving HUD
Cabin is very quiet
Unique and not generic
Actual sensors and lidar

MY Pros:
Price
Infotainment and software is best in the industry (Navigation, music selection/integration, etc..)
FSD and AP are very good (some of the best)
Car App is spectacular
Very little glitchy-ness (Things just work)
Hatchback design for unorthodox shapes of items
Charging network

Both cars are great vehicles. Someone here put it well by saying if the best vehicle out there is a 100 and points from 90-100 were exponentially harder to achieve, then the Lucid air is a 98 and the Tesla lineup is a 96. Both are much better cars than most people will every experience but with the Lucid coming in at double the price and you being focused on self driving tech, then you would be doing yourself a disservice by buying the Lucid.

Granted, Tesla's self-park sucks rocks. My 1998 Lexus did better. It is a joke, and not a good one. I don't understand how Tesla could get that particular technology so, so, SO wrong. But I can park my own car, so whatever.

As for what Tesla P "supposedly does"... I'm not talking AP, I'm talking FSD... and it does a lot. I have to leave my garage and I have to park the car at the end (sigh), but otherwise it gets me from A to B by itself. On the highway, yes, but also in the city.

Yeah, Tesla is a driver's car too. But we drivers rarely actually get to "drive" our cars. Anyone that calls themselves a "driver" and means stop and go traffic on their daily commute to work is... well... we're not the same :) Same for anyone that's talking about a long boring haul to grandma's on a multi-lane highway. Boring driving isn't for "drivers". Boring driving is for FSD. REAL driving... on a track or a windy road through the mountains... yeah, you take it out of FSD and you squeeze the wheel enough to make the leather creek just a little, and you go. And maybe Lucid does that better... I wouldn't know. But I'm more than satisfied with that element of Tesla too. Its the 90% boring drives where I'm thinking Tesla sounds like it is way out in front.

I appreciate that. The bulk of my driving is in town with traffic. I've gotten very, very used to having my car do that for me. I assumed DDP would be on par, but sounds like it isn't. I'm not sure I can count on it getting better over time... I mean... in some ways it really does look like LCID may be a few hiccups away from being in the history books. The fact their knocking $37k off is a bit telling. They may or may not survive, but I doubt they'll be investing much in DDP while they fight.

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm very happy you like your cars, and this may be a regrettable decision one day (or not) but I think I'll slum it with a Model Y. This time I'll buy better insurance.
Disagree that you only can enjoy a drivers car on a track or a mountain. Guess why lots of city dwellers buy Porsches? I drove a Model S, hated the ride and handling. Lucid is miles better. I feel the urge to drive the car. FSD is too slow a reaction time, makes mistakes, annoys other drivers. And I would never put my life or my families life in the hand of a car with FSD. If you look at the number of miles I've driven, my safety record is better than FSD!

Good luck as well. The Y doesn't compare to the Lucid but neither does the cost.

If you are considering a Y, and you do 99% of your charging at home, there are many other alternatives in your price range or below it. I am currently driving a Genesis GV60 Performance which has the essential performance of the Y combined with luxury features. You could also look at the Kia EV6 (several varieties), the Polestar 2, the Volvo XC40 recharge, etc.

Personally, I don't want to drive a car that makes me look sideways to see the speed. I want a display in front of me and a HUD (especially the latter). perhaps I am spoiled but I had a HUD with my prior BMWs and with my current GV60P and love being able to see the essentials while keeping my eyes on the road.
I'm looking at a GV60 for my wife. We need a few buttons. Just using a screen is dangerous. I just drove a polestar- tried to adjust climate while driving, this was not safe at all!

Yeah, Tesla is a driver's car too.
No, it isn’t. And this is perhaps the most fundamental disagreement.

Tesla is a *drag racer’s* car. They do not make cars that are fun to drive anything other than straight, at least relative to Lucid.

But you’d have to drive a Lucid to have a relative comparison, since right now you have no sense of what you’re missing.

Anyone that calls themselves a "driver" and means stop and go traffic on their daily commute to work is... well... we're not the same :)
This is not what anyone is talking about.

REAL driving... on a track or a windy road through the mountains... yeah, you take it out of FSD and you squeeze the wheel enough to make the leather creek just a little, and you go. And maybe Lucid does that better... I wouldn't know.
It does.

I'm not sure I can count on it getting better over time... I mean... in some ways it really does look like LCID may be a few hiccups away from being in the history books. The fact they’re knocking $37k off is a bit telling. They may or may not survive, but I doubt they'll be investing much in DDP while they fight.
They’re knocking discounts off because the *economy* has changed and cars have gotten cheaper. Tesla has had how many price reductions this year? Are they dying?

DDP does not do this. Not even remotely close. Sounds like that’s the deciding point for OP? If so, then MY is probably right choice.
Neither does FSD. Frankly, I do not understand why it is allowed to be used on non-highway roads when everyone thinks it is supposed to be hands-free, because it most definitely isn’t.

But you’re right, it does more of it than Lucid.

I’m not saying the Model Y is a shitty car. It isn’t. It’s just that if you want a Model Y and aren’t looking for a better driving experience, longer range, faster charging, better customer service, significantly more luxury (at a higher price, granted), higher efficiency, etc., but instead want FSD specifically, then the Model Y will serve you just fine.

I had a Model 3 Performance for four years. I test drove a Model Y before buying the Air GT, and found the Y to be extremely similar to the 3. I wouldn't call either one a driver's car. Both are great at acceleration, but are relatively rough riding and noisy. Rode home from the airport in a Model Y Uber yesterday, and again it felt rough and creaky. They're OK appliances, not great cars.

The Air is in a wholly different league.

No, it isn’t. And this is perhaps the most fundamental disagreement.

Tesla is a *drag racer’s* car. They do not make cars that are fun to drive anything other than straight, at least relative to Lucid.

I see this argument that Lucid's are better driver cars, but i'm not sure if this is really true...other than the Sapphire, the GT puts up really crap numbers for braking, skidpad, grip, acceleration, etc... look at car and drivers reviews of plaid and Lucids. The best Lucid (Touring) on Sport EVs does 0.93Gs on the skidpad, the Plaid does 1.03Gs...

Have you seen any track numbers where a Lucid put down half decent numbers? I think they are too heavy to be real drivers cars.

Lucid seems to be a great car if you want a well-balanced package of dynamics, build quality, luxury, space, materials, etc...but it's not a drivers car either

Numbers, numbers, numbers. Tesla owners always go on about numbers. Numbers have almost nothing to do with driving experience.

A 1998 Porsche 911 would be a dog in a numbers comparison. But I’d drive it through the canyons over a Model S any day.

The Plaid was designed to look good on a spreadsheet.

I see this argument that Lucid's are better driver cars, but i'm not sure if this is really true...other than the Sapphire, the GT puts up really crap numbers for braking, skidpad, grip, acceleration, etc... look at car and drivers reviews of plaid and Lucids. The best Lucid (Touring) on Sport EVs does 0.93Gs on the skidpad, the Plaid does 1.03Gs...

Have you seen any track numbers where a Lucid put down half decent numbers? I think they are too heavy to be real drivers cars.

Lucid seems to be a great car if you want a well-balanced package of dynamics, build quality, luxury, space, materials, etc...but it's not a drivers car either

I have to say I have never heard anyone make this argument. A think the definition of a driver’s car basically boils down to the enjoyment and satisfaction one derives from being on the road, the feeling of the car cruising down the highway or around bending mountain or coastal roads. The Lucid absolutely excels in this regard. I love driving it and have never felt that way about any other automobile.

I have to say I have never heard anyone make this argument. A think the definition of a driver’s car basically boils down to the enjoyment and satisfaction one derives from being on the road, the feeling of the car cruising down the highway or around bending mountain or coastal roads. The Lucid absolutely excels in this regard. I love driving it and have never felt that way about any other automobile.
you've never heard anyone make the argument that a 5300lbs car that puts up skidpad ratings and braking performance on par with a Camry can't be a drivers car? You can say it drives well accounting for it's weak performance, but that doesn't change the fact that the Lucid Air is not a sport sedan by any stretch of imagination and would be absolutely annihilated by a tesla on track. I'm not even talking about straight line "drag" performance

you've never heard anyone make the argument that a 5300lbs car that puts up skidpad ratings and braking performance on par with a Camry can't be a drivers car? You can say it drives well accounting for it's weak performance, but that doesn't change the fact that the Lucid Air is not a sport sedan by any stretch of imagination and would be absolutely annihilated by a tesla on track. I'm not even talking about straight line "drag" performance

Why would anyone , besides a Sapphire owner or occasional Dream or GT Performance owner, give a crap about whether or not it’s track performance is this or that. For 99 % of us who have a Dream or GT or Touring or Pure, or who will have a Gravity, no one gives a shit. My GT accelerates fast enough ; I will never ever take it to a track . I will never race anyone or beat my chest because of the cars acceleration. I love driving it ; not racing it.

Why would anyone , besides a Sapphire owner or occasional Dream or GT Performance owner, give a crap about whether or not it’s track performance is this or that. For 99 % of us who have a Dream or GT or Touring or Pure, or who will have a Gravity, no one gives a shit. My GT accelerates fast enough ; I will never ever take it to a track . I will never race anyone or beat my chest because of the cars acceleration. I love driving it ; not racing it.

And that's fine, of course i'm not arguing that Lucid owners are taking their cars to the track. I do see a lot of Tesla drivers at the track in the M3P/MYP/MSP with track mode. They don't last very long out there like most EVs, but they are reasonably capable in short stints.

Borski above says Teslas are drag racer cars and are not fun to drive anywhere but straight. This is objectively false as the Tesla does BETTER in cornering exercises than Lucids do. If anything Lucids are the straight line car that have good acceleration and are soft and comfy and luxurious and not meant for much cornering.

And that's fine, of course i'm not arguing that Lucid owners are taking their cars to the track. I do see a lot of Tesla drivers at the track in the M3P/MYP/MSP with track mode. They don't last very long out there like most EVs, but they are reasonably capable in short stints.

Borski above says Teslas are drag racer cars and are not fun to drive anywhere but straight. This is objectively false as the Tesla does BETTER in cornering exercises than Lucids do. If anything Lucids are the straight line car that have good acceleration and are soft and comfy and luxurious and not meant for much cornering.

Fair enough; I apologize for getting a bit animated. Blame it on the coffee. 😉
Most important thing is to enjoy what you drive, in whatever capacity that may be.

.... If anything Lucids are the straight line car that have good acceleration and are soft and comfy and luxurious and not meant for much cornering.
Have you driven one hard? Are you aware that a Lucid GT-P was the fastest production vehicle up the Goodwood hiillclimb in 2022?
A car doesn't need to have a harsh ride to handle very, very well.

There's a reason, Kyle Connor who's driven arguably more EVs than anyone on this forum, has said the Lucid was a better driver's car than his own Model S Plaid. Tracking a car is not the same as a car being a driver's car. If you don't know that there's a difference, then you are just here to argue semantics.

So decision made? Thread closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back