DreamDrive Megathread

OK, I spoke with the Lucid sales advisor and got some more color consistent with the above posts:
  • Dream Drive - today it only does adaptive CC, some day it might do lane centering or other features.
  • Dream Drive Pro - Highway Assist (adaptive CC + lane centering) but it "works better" than other OEMs versions of these futures thanks to the Lidar and other hardware. In the future will add more features.
Can anybody with a current Lucid confirm that second point... Is the current DDP worse / equal / better versus Tesla autopilot at the basic driving within a lane on the highway (level 2 automation)?

I understand that things improve over time, I'm just looking for where the starting point is today.
Worse

I find it significantly better than the Tesla system. It is consistent, has no phantom braking, and keeps you smoothly centered.
What version of software update do you have on lucid? I’m had a Tesla in the past and have yet to see what you are referring to.

What version of software update do you have on lucid? I’m had a Tesla in the past and have yet to see what you are referring to.

It’s great that you haven’t had problems with the Tesla AP. Lots of folks have, myself included, particularly with phantom braking on the highway.

It’s great that you haven’t had problems with the Tesla AP. Lots of folks have, myself included, particularly with phantom braking on the highway.
Wow! You have an update that is much greater than mine. I just got the 2.0.18 update today! Would love to get the .24 update and then compare. Maybe that will fix the issue. I can assure you that with the .15 update, the dreamdrive was non existent except for moderating adaptive cruise!

Wow! You have an update that is much greater than mine. I just got the 2.0.18 update today! Would love to get the .24 update and then compare. Maybe that will fix the issue. I can assure you that with the .15 update, the dreamdrive was non existent except for moderating adaptive cruise!
.18 is the one that adds Highway Assist. You need to drive in Adaptive Cruise for about a half hour until Highway Assist is calibrated.

The ones after that are .20 and .24.

I got the UX 2.x last week, so this weekend was the first time I really deployed the Highway Assist.

Just for context, my other car is 2019 Tesla Model S with FSD Beta. And my wife’s car is 2021 Merc GLS 450 with Driver Assistance Package. So I can compare all three now.

Both Tesla and Lucid’s highway assist keeps the car firmly centered in the lane. It provides a solid feeling of comfort. Mercedes seems to stay in the lane just by a process of elimination - as the car keeps wandering closer to one side of the lane and then the other.

Both Tesla and Merc offer lane changing feature, where once you switch on the turn signal, the car carefully changes lanes. Lucid doesn’t have it right now.

Tesla integrates AutoPilot with navigation and knows when you need to take the exit and will prompt you to change lanes accordingly. Lucid’s Highway Assist does not talk to the navigation - so will not do that at this time.

Having said that, Tesla used to have “phantom breaking” which is freaky and very dangerous - where the car will imagine some object on the road and suddenly do hard breaking. They have largely fixed it over the last several software updates. Lucid, so far, has no instances of Phantom Breaking. It keeps a safe distance, keeps it centered and gives you comfort feeling.

Tesla would allow you to take your hands off for ~15 seconds or so. Lucid gives a warning after 6 seconds. So that is annoying. Tesla’s FSD Beta will, obviously, also drive the car on city streets - whereas Lucid will only have adaptive CC on city streets.

Two points for improvement for Lucid:

BMW and Merc have this annoying thing where if the car is at a standstill for more than x seconds than it will not start moving automatically when the traffic ahead starts moving. So you need to press the accelerator or press a button on the steering wheel. Tesla got rid of this. Tesla can read when traffic lights turn green or the traffic ahead moves, and the car seamlessly starts moving too. Lucid does not. After x seconds of stop, you have to press the button or press accelerator. There is really no need for this. Lucid should provide that functionality going forward.

Sometimes driving on the freeway, randomly Highway Assist switches off and replaced by Adaptive Cruise Control. And then a few seconds later, it will come back on. Hopefully just teething issues with a new feature. And will be fixed.

Hope this helps.

So, we are paying big bucks for just 2 things currently when we get DDp. 360 deg view and Highway Assist on freeways. Is that it? Is there a road map of features to come such as lane centering on city streets, pull out from the garage to the driveway and park from the driveway into the garage, park even at angled parking spots...

What does Lane Department Protection do? Does it just sound an alarm and/or vibrate the steering wheel or move the car back into the center of the lane?
And do you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel the whole time vs. Ford's Blue Cruise or GM's Super Cruise where they utilize in cabin cameras to monitor your eyes and as long as you are looking forward and paying attention, there's no need to touch the steering wheel?

What does Lane Department Protection do? Does it just sound an alarm and/or vibrate the steering wheel or move the car back into the center of the lane?
And do you need to keep your hands on the steering wheel the whole time vs. Ford's Blue Cruise or GM's Super Cruise where they utilize in cabin cameras to monitor your eyes and as long as you are looking forward and paying attention, there's no need to touch the steering wheel?
It does steer you back into the lane. You need to have your hands on the wheel, or it will warn you after 6-10 seconds.

Would one need to keep hands on the steering wheel with the DDP also (at least in the current state of software release)?

Every 6 seconds is just annoying as hell, aren’t there cameras that monitor what the driver is doing? Why can’t they see that we are looking ahead and monitoring the road? I miss the original 1.0 Autopilot, you could drive for miles without it telling you to grab the wheel.

Every 6 seconds is just annoying as hell, aren’t there cameras that monitor what the driver is doing? Why can’t they see that we are looking ahead and monitoring the road? I miss the original 1.0 Autopilot, you could drive for miles without it telling you to grab the wheel.
There’s a huge difference between looking ahead and actually reacting. This is not full self driving, and neither is Tesla’s FSD, and the 1.0 Autopilot definitely wasn’t. They changed that because the law made them, and for good reason. You should be prepared, for now, to take over at any time. It’s not that hard to rest a hand on the wheel so you can still react.

The problem for me isn’t in resting my hand on the wheel. I also have to apply just enough torque to let it know I care but not so much that it deactivates dream drive when going around a curve. It’s just really inconvenient currently. I hope we get a better mechanism later.

The problem for me isn’t in resting my hand on the wheel. I also have to apply just enough torque to let it know I care but not so much that it deactivates dream drive when going around a curve. It’s just really inconvenient currently. I hope we get a better mechanism later.
I find that if you literally put your fingers/wrist in the lower left corner of the wheel it'll be fine and won't trigger the warning.

Like @hydbob wrote, it’s about finding that spot that works for you and your steering wheel. Mine seems finicky. Some days, I can just use two fingers, some, I have to use my hand and it seems like I have to search for the spot of the day. Once I find it, the car is good with no input from me, just resting my hand or fingers, arm relaxed. But just to keep me on my toes, it will alarm every 30 to 45 minutes.

I find that if you literally put your fingers/wrist in the lower left corner of the wheel it'll be fine and won't trigger the warning.
Funny, I keep my hands at the 10-2 o’clock positions which is the correct way to hold the wheel and if alarms at me a lot with my hands firmly on the wheel and I have to give it a light tug. I’ll try putting my left hand at the 9 o clock corner of the wheel and see if that helps.

Funny, I keep my hands at the 10-2 o’clock positions which is the correct way to hold the wheel and if alarms at me a lot with my hands firmly on the wheel and I have to give it a light tug. I’ll try putting my left hand at the 9 o clock corner of the wheel and see if that helps.
I thought that 9-3 was considered superior now? Anyways, more like resting your hand on the 7 position works.

Back