DreamDrive Megathread

We've had different experiences in this, but to be fair I only use it on highways via Highway Assist, so no traffic lights or stop signs.
I've taken a highway exit and then came up to a red light where I Was first in line, car wanted to plow through the light, had to step on the brakes. But as @hydbob mentioned, it's Highway assist, I just forgot to turn it off when I took the exit, got too comfortable haha.
But still love it and don't see any major problems with it.
Only thing I wish was that when it says "Highway Assist limited" or when it turns itself off in a winding road, wish it would alert me a bit better, when I'm watching the road (as it continuously yells at me for), I'm not paying much attention to the driver display, so I have no idea when it disengages. A loud beep would help in that regard (with the option to turn it off for those who pay closer attention to it)
Yea I think the function is aptly named...Highway Assist. The feature assists you on the highway. It's named properly unlike Full Self Drive or Autopilot...
Agreed, Highway Assist, should only be activated on the Highway, unlike Tesla who turned on full experimental features and driving for any road. Far more dangerous and handled less maturely than geo-locked Lucid to Highway.

Is this under the hood in Lucid
Nvidia: NVIDIA DRIVE OS Receives Safety Certification.

Just experienced very thick fog on Saturday around 6:30 PM on I-5 North at Tejon Pass on the way down the mountain in Southern California. My Air Grand Touring Highway Assist (Adaptive Cruise and Automatic Steering within a lane) continued to work flawlessly but my folk's 2017 Tesla Model X FSD (still got radar and sonars) quit working.

Just experienced very thick fog on Saturday around 6:30 PM on I-5 North at Tejon Pass on the way down the mountain in Southern California. My Air Grand Touring Highway Assist (Adaptive Cruise and Automatic Steering within a lane) continued to work flawlessly but my folk's 2017 Tesla Model X FSD (still got radar and sonars) quit working.
They probably disabled the radar on tesla. Ultrasonic sensors are extremely short range and very effective for parking in any almost any weather condition

I think there’s a fundamental disconnect with people’s expectations for Highway Assist. It is not Autopilot. It is not full self driving. It’s designed to help you relax a little on longer stretches of open highway by not forcing you to constantly put your foot down on the pedal, and to keep you in the lane on those long monotonous stretches with as little effort as possible. And that’s it.

Traffic Jam assist, which is a future feature, is the one that more resembles level 2 autonomy. Where it will handle stop and go traffic, etc.

I think a good number of folks want to use Highway Assist in a way it was not intended or designed to work, in other words. They basically want to have the car drive itself. That doesn’t exist, and Lucid never said it did.

If traffic is stopped up ahead, turn off HA and take over. If you are passing a big truck that’s making you nervous, turn off HA and take over.

Yes, this is not as capable as what some other manufacturers have shipped. On the plus side, the car doesn’t seem to jam on its brakes for no reason or steer you into oncoming traffic on city streets. As far as I’m concerned, Lucid can take its time with that bit and actually get it right.
Knowing the limitations up front, while still desperately wishing the car would take over and do everything, I’m very happy with HA.

Nothing is perfect, including Tesla of course, but HA really let’s me relax and “enjoy” my drive. I honestly don’t like driving, but Lucid has changed that for me. I can press one or two buttons and mostly forget about the rest (sometimes the ability to engage HA is already on and sometimes I have to press the DD button first, then the engage button at the speed I want). IMHO, the display has the perfect amount of information, in the right locations, which is hard to get right with pretty much endless options in the land of UI/UX. The biggest pro here for me personally is that using HA prevents me from ever needing to put my foot on the gas (once engaged), and thereby removes the temptation to continually see how fast she can go.

Looking forward to more features. Only tried auto park one time and it pretty much failed, so I need to do some more testing to understand it before I can decide on whether I like it.

Knowing the limitations up front, while still desperately wishing the car would take over and do everything, I’m very happy with HA.

Nothing is perfect, including Tesla of course, but HA really let’s me relax and “enjoy” my drive. I honestly don’t like driving, but Lucid has changed that for me. I can press one or two buttons and mostly forget about the rest (sometimes the ability to engage HA is already on and sometimes I have to press the DD button first, then the engage button at the speed I want). IMHO, the display has the perfect amount of information, in the right locations, which is hard to get right with pretty much endless options in the land of UI/UX. The biggest pro here for me personally is that using HA prevents me from ever needing to put my foot on the gas (once engaged), and thereby removes the temptation to continually see how fast she can go.

Looking forward to more features. Only tried auto park one time and it pretty much failed, so I need to do some more testing to understand it before I can decide on whether I like it.
Yeah, auto park, unfortunately, is as bad as every other auto park I've tried. At least in my limited experience so far.

I really think there must be something strange about the streets in Boulder that confounds all these systems.

I don't know if i mentioned this here before, but i noticed that Lucid tends to confuse itself around exits - I was using Highway assist on 280 and my GT was following another vehicle. When that lead vehicle exited the highway, my GT almost followed the other car and entered the exit ramp before correcting itself.

i've observed something similar when a lane splits into two. this was also on 280 where the main highway goes to the right but there were two exits on the left side to another highway. my GT was confused and was about to enter the exit ramps when i canceled it and returned back to the main highway.

in both cases it was not end of the world but if a cop was following me, they might have pulled me over for this.

I don't know if i mentioned this here before, but i noticed that Lucid tends to confuse itself around exits - I was using Highway assist on 280 and my GT was following another vehicle. When that lead vehicle exited the highway, my GT almost followed the other car and entered the exit ramp before correcting itself.

i've observed something similar when a lane splits into two. this was also on 280 where the main highway goes to the right but there were two exits on the left side to another highway. my GT was confused and was about to enter the exit ramps when i canceled it and returned back to the main highway.

in both cases it was not end of the world but if a cop was following me, they might have pulled me over for this.
It gets that way because it's trying to follow the lane marking and freaks the heck out when the lane gets too wide.

It gets that way because it's trying to follow the lane marking and freaks the heck out when the lane gets too wide.
This is why when I use that feature, I use only the middle lane.

Yeah, auto park, unfortunately, is as bad as every other auto park I've tried. At least in my limited experience so far.

I really think there must be something strange about the streets in Boulder that confounds all these systems.
The last.3 times i've used auto park I've had to interject as it would've hit the pillar or car. The last attempt was a parallel park and it completely misjudged the opening and the back corner of the car was heading towards another parked car. Not ready for prime time in my opinion and for me, 3 strikes and you're out so won't be using it again as I simply don't trust it.

Of all the software, auto-park is the least useful for me. It is dangerous as @joec says. Tried it 3x including at the gym and each time almost crashed into another car. On the other HA is very good.

My experience with fog has been that after a minute or two it says it’s not available and instructs you to take over

Of all the software, auto-park is the least useful for me. It is dangerous as @joec says. Tried it 3x including at the gym and each time almost crashed into another car. On the other HA is very good.
I just had a pleasant surprise with HA. I was driving on Foothills Expressway, which despite the name, is actually a two-lane-in-each-direction mid-city road that has traffic lights, etc. I thought I'd try out ACC, since I haven't used it much. But the car actually engaged HA. Did the lane centering, everything. I really thought that road would be off-limits. At least in the middle of Boulder.

I only got caught in one light, and I disengaged manually in order to stop. Then I just re-engaged after getting back up to speed.

I cannot say enough how much more I trust the (albeit limited) HA vs FSD on the Tesla. As long as you respect its limitations, it's a very nice system. And driving with it is nowhere near as stressful.

My wife commented that it looks like a drunk driver is at the reins when it comes to lane splits and exits. I now only use it when cruising and turn it off in those situations- and that’s totally fine. Another thing is the lane correction - I think I might turn it off, it’s too aggressive and makes for a jerky ride in roads without good markings

I installed 2.52 (what is happening happened previous to 2.52 as well) and went on a trip about 600 miles from northern Virginia to Norfolk, to Charlottesville, places in between and back to northern VA. I used highway assist the majority of the driving ~80% of the time. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the following:

You set highway assist to 70 mph in a 65 mph, there are plenty of traffic lights on this two lane highway. my car follows the car in front with no issues, slows and accelerates, stops when the car in front comes to a stop. However, when there is no car in front of you and you are coming towards a red light where there are cars stopped, the Lucid just keeps going until the last minute is brakes hard and then alarms start to go off and I have to take control and brake harder and get ready to move into the ditch to avoid hitting the car in front on me. This happened several times and it is scary AF. I did switch to active cruise and the same thing happens. Sometimes it will stop without intervention other times it does what I explained above. In all cases stopping is at the last minute and very hard braking.

One more item is that the car continuously moves off center and the front display, street in front of me is no longer highlighted beige until I forcefully recenter it.

Any thoughts before I call customer care tomorrow.

I installed 2.52 (what is happening happened previous to 2.52 as well) and went on a trip about 600 miles from northern Virginia to Norfolk, to Charlottesville, places in between and back to northern VA. I used highway assist the majority of the driving ~80% of the time. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the following:

You set highway assist to 70 mph in a 65 mph, there are plenty of traffic lights on this two lane highway. my car follows the car in front with no issues, slows and accelerates, stops when the car in front comes to a stop. However, when there is no car in front of you and you are coming towards a red light where there are cars stopped, the Lucid just keeps going until the last minute is brakes hard and then alarms start to go off and I have to take control and brake harder and get ready to move into the ditch to avoid hitting the car in front on me. This happened several times and it is scary AF. I did switch to active cruise and the same thing happens. Sometimes it will stop without intervention other times it does what I explained above. In all cases stopping is at the last minute and very hard braking.

One more item is that the car continuously moves off center and the front display, street in front of me is no longer highlighted beige until I forcefully recenter it.

I would suggest reading the DreamDrive section of the manual. This is one small section:

WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control
may not detect stationary or slow-
moving vehicles below 6 mph (10
km/h).

Yes, this has happened to me numerous times on the freeway. Doing 65/70, cars stopped in the distance and the car just keeps going. I disengage it now when approaching stopped traffic.

Yes. Highway Assist is not designed to handle this situation. There’s nothing wrong with your car. You have to manually disengage and brake yourself when stopped traffic is further out in the distance. It’s in the manual.

Traffic Jam Assist and Highway Pilot should eventually be able to handle this. But the car does not have this “feature” at this time.

I can’t possibly overstate this: No matter what vehicle you have, with whatever technology it contains, do not wait for it to slam on the brakes. Press the brakes when you think they should be pressed. Maintain control of the vehicle. Do not put your own or other peoples’ lives at risk because you think that the car will automatically do what you should be doing.

Back