CarPlay Disconnects, unusable at times

travelermark

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
i seem to be having an sporadic issue with CarPlay freezing and disconnecting. At first I thought it was random, however, there are certain parts of Seattle that when I drive through, it happens every single time. (Certain intersections). This has me thinking perhaps there is some type of interference happening. I’ve only ever used wireless CarPlay but now starting to see if the same happens when wired, although I’ll assume for now it won’t. It’s really made wireless CarPlay unusable for me, at least when driving in downtown Seattle. Once the disconnect happens, I have to wait a while before trying to get it to connect back.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar? I sent an email to Lucid but didn’t get much in terms of help, other than, just use wired CarPlay.

i seem to be having an sporadic issue with CarPlay freezing and disconnecting. At first I thought it was random, however, there are certain parts of Seattle that when I drive through, it happens every single time. (Certain intersections). This has me thinking perhaps there is some type of interference happening. I’ve only ever used wireless CarPlay but now starting to see if the same happens when wired, although I’ll assume for now it won’t. It’s really made wireless CarPlay unusable for me, at least when driving in downtown Seattle. Once the disconnect happens, I have to wait a while before trying to get it to connect back.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar? I sent an email to Lucid but didn’t get much in terms of help, other than, just use wired CarPlay.
Does it do the same when wired? What phone? What iOS version?

I often drive through the tunnels and bridges to Manhattan where wireless signal is often limited or nonexistant and never have a problem with wireless carplay. I will say that I did notice that it can have connection issues if my iPhone is in my pocket vs in the wireless charger.

Have you tried:

1) Placing the phone in the charger?
2) Removing and re-pairing the phone to your car? Make sure you wipe out the Carplay settings from your phone too and then remove the phone from the car connectivity settings. Then start over.
3) Reset your phone and bluetooth settings?

will try answering both here

iPhone 15 Max Pro
Running iOS 17.2.1

Most of the time the phone is sitting in the center console somewhere. Occasionally in my pocket, but same result regardless of where the phone is placed. I have reset the phone wireless settings. Deleted it from the car and repaired as well. This has happened across multiple different trips, which I think is important to note. And to give an example… everything will be working fine , and if I drive past the new Seattle convention center, every single time, CarPlay will freeze, stop playing music and then if I don’t get past the convention center quick enough, it will disconnect. This behavior repeats in different areas of the city but this is one spot I’ve identified where it always happens. Which is what leads me to think there is some type of interference issue happening, although I could be completely wrong.

I have not yet tried when wired. I keep forgetting to put a usbc cable in the car (still have the lightning cable) but I will test that and see if the issue persists.

iPhone 15 Max Pro
Running iOS 17.2.1

Most of the time the phone is sitting in the center console somewhere. Occasionally in my pocket, but same result regardless of where the phone is placed. I have reset the phone wireless settings. Deleted it from the car and repaired as well. This has happened across multiple different trips, which I think is important to note. And to give an example… everything will be working fine , and if I drive past the new Seattle convention center, every single time, CarPlay will freeze, stop playing music and then if I don’t get past the convention center quick enough, it will disconnect. This behavior repeats in different areas of the city but this is one spot I’ve identified where it always happens. Which is what leads me to think there is some type of interference issue happening, although I could be completely wrong.

I have not yet tried when wired. I keep forgetting to put a usbc cable in the car (still have the lightning cable) but I will test that and see if the issue persists.
Do you keep your phone in the cup holder when it is happening?

iPhone 15 Max Pro
Running iOS 17.2.1

Seems like it would be one of two things then.

May be a hardware issue with the phone or the car. Do you have a second car with carplay you could test in the same area? If that works you know its a Lucid issue and can open a service ticket. Or, if it still doesn't work, may be an issue with the phone.

Or, it could just be something in the area causing interference. The fact this only happens in certain areas (maybe the convention center has some kind of powerful equipment that would interfere with wireless devices?) would seem to suggest there's something localized causing it.

Do you keep your phone in the cup holder when it is happening?
Cup holder, charger, on top of rollback door, I’ve even held the phone in the air when it starts happening to see if it changes it, and no luck.

Seems like it would be one of two things then.

May be a hardware issue with the phone or the car. Do you have a second car with carplay you could test in the same area? If that works you know its a Lucid issue and can open a service ticket. Or, if it still doesn't work, may be an issue with the phone.

Or, it could just be something in the area causing interference. The fact this only happens in certain areas (maybe the convention center has some kind of powerful equipment that would interfere with wireless devices?) would seem to suggest there's something localized causing it.
I’ve not had the issue in any other car but honestly haven’t tested much in that area with another vehicle. This did occur with my iPhone 14 Max Pro so I’m pretty sure it’s not a hardware issue with the phones. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar as I am starting to wonder if it’s an issue with the lucid hardware. If it didn’t keep happening in the same areas I would have already thought it was a hardware issue with the car but the fact that it repeats in the same parts of town has me scratching my head.

Yes - CarPlay frequently disconnects. Sometimes I can reconnect easily, but other times I need to delete and re-add the phone. Very frustrating. I have not noticed any "location patterns."

This happens to me and has happened in a previous bmw x5. same places along the road. I think it’s interference of some sort

My car shows I am using Carplay for a call but the sound will not come through the speakers. I have to change it to speaker mode and use it hands free despite the call showing on my car screen. I have also had instances where it show the phone call on the screen but the radio will not cut out.

Yes, absolutely. Wired or wireless, I notice it always happens in the same specific place here on A1A in South Florida. I’m convinced it’s some sort of external interference, but Carplay won’t restart once it disconnects. And that’s frustrating.

My car shows I am using Carplay for a call but the sound will not come through the speakers. I have to change it to speaker mode and use it hands free despite the call showing on my car screen. I have also had instances where it show the phone call on the screen but the radio will not cut out.
On the phone, access the control center. In the upper right tap the icon indicated in the attached photo. Make sure CarPlay is selected as shown in the second photo.
1705944065497.png

1705944115218.png

I have the same issue. Everytime I pass the same home in my neighborhood the sound drops out. The track continues to advance but no sound. Then it comes back on after a few seconds. It also happens on certain routes around town, same places, every time I pass.

I have the same issue. Everytime I pass the same home in my neighborhood the sound drops out. The track continues to advance but no sound. Then it comes back on after a few seconds. It also happens on certain routes around town, same places, every time I pass.
Sounds like a reception issue as opposed to a Lucid issue.

Something is causing brief interruption for bluetooth connectivity.

Something is causing brief interruption for bluetooth connectivity.
Sound is surrounded by a jamming field. My guess? CIA safe house.

Not sure how Bobby figures all of these things out but when my phone showed it connected to carplay it was still showing Iphone as the speaker not Carplay

Not sure how Bobby figures all of these things out but when my phone showed it connected to carplay it was still showing Iphone as the speaker not Carplay
And he’s really nice too!

Back