Randomly prompted by Siri

dingo

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Pure AWD, MB EQB
I am getting frustrated with CarPlay lately. I keep my phone on my TWRAPS magsafe charger, but before that, this happened when I had it in the stock charging location.

While driving siri comes up (interrupting whatever I am playing) as though I had asked for her. I have Hey Siri disabled, and have everything about it disabled to the absolute MAX allowable amount but still, it randomly pops up. If the phone were in my pocket, I'd guess it was the button being held down to initiate the prompt... but that isn't the case. It is on the TWRAPS charger, untouched from every angle.

Any thoughts on why this is happening seemingly randomly? Anyone else experiencing this? I really wish Apple would just let me disable Siri altogether and still use CarPlay.

I am getting frustrated with CarPlay lately. I keep my phone on my TWRAPS magsafe charger, but before that, this happened when I had it in the stock charging location.

While driving siri comes up (interrupting whatever I am playing) as though I had asked for her. I have Hey Siri disabled, and have everything about it disabled to the absolute MAX allowable amount but still, it randomly pops up. If the phone were in my pocket, I'd guess it was the button being held down to initiate the prompt... but that isn't the case. It is on the TWRAPS charger, untouched from every angle.

Any thoughts on why this is happening seemingly randomly? Anyone else experiencing this? I really wish Apple would just let me disable Siri altogether and still use CarPlay.
I have literally never had that happen. Could it be because you have accidentally pressed the microphone icon on the steering wheel?

If this is not the case, reset your ‘network settings’ and also ‘location and privacy settings’ on the phone. These options are located in settings – general – reset and then press the reset button at the bottom of the screen to access the various items. Please report back.

No, it's not the mic button -- even if that did happen, it would initiate a prompt from Alexa, not siri :(

I can give that a shot. Thank you for the suggestion

No, it's not the mic button -- even if that did happen, it would initiate a prompt from Alexa, not siri :(

Holding down the button invokes Siri, not Alexa. A single press will invoke Alexa.

If you hold the mic button for about one second, it will initiate a prompt for Siri. If you just tap it, it will be Alexa.

Oh I see -- yeah still not the issue, because it happens when I'm nowhere near that button :confused:

If you hold the mic button for about one second, it will initiate a prompt for Siri. If you just tap it, it will be Alexa.

Of note, if you've disabled Alexa like I have, any press on that button will pop up Siri immediately.

I've also never heard of this issue!

Well, oddly, I am glad you haven't as that, to me, means its solvable. I'll be driving a bit today so hopefully can test the reset as a fix.

I noticed that when it happens, it happens a LOT -- but if it isn't happening, it doesn't at all.

I have tried:
1. changing my phone case
2. removing my phone case
3. putting it in the cup holders
4. being totally conscious not to touch ANYTHING
5. asked passengers to not speak
6. turned off any active media

If it's happening none of the above have stopped it from continuing.

I'll update if I see this recur after trying the reset. Thanks again for any and all suggestions

Well, oddly, I am glad you haven't as that, to me, means its solvable. I'll be driving a bit today so hopefully can test the reset as a fix.

I noticed that when it happens, it happens a LOT -- but if it isn't happening, it doesn't at all.

I have tried:
1. changing my phone case
2. removing my phone case
3. putting it in the cup holders
4. being totally conscious not to touch ANYTHING
5. asked passengers to not speak
6. turned off any active media

If it's happening none of the above have stopped it from continuing.

I'll update if I see this recur after trying the reset. Thanks again for any and all suggestions
Just so I'm understanding, this only happens when you are connected to CarPlay, but doesn't happen if you just have your phone in the car but not connected?

Yeah, I am never in the latter situation. I guess I could try shutting off Carplay and seeing if it happens.

Back