Audiophiles! Equalizer settings?

TakeDuo

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
Referral Code
YLV3CK0N
Audio is kinda like wine tasting to me. I can’t distinguish between most audio nuances just like I can’t taste “burnt nutmeg” on a wine tasting. But, I know what I like when I hear it (or taste it 😂).

Current equalizer setup below. It sounds good to me. About right? Pop, R&B, jazz and country so wide range. Should it adjust with genres?

Sorry pic loaded sideways can’t figure that out 😬

CB23423E-2AC2-4ED5-BF7F-DEE19F5C0123.jpeg

Audio is kinda like wine tasting to me. I can’t distinguish between most audio nuances just like I can’t taste “burnt nutmeg” on a wine tasting. But, I know what I like when I hear it (or taste it 😂).

Current equalizer setup below. It sounds good to me. About right? Pop, R&B, jazz and country so wide range. Should it adjust with genres?

Sorry pic loaded sideways can’t figure that out 😬

View attachment 2850
I'm using @copper suggestion of +6,0,-2

To me, it’s all about the music. I would likely end up adjusting depending on what kind of music I’m listening to, the mix, etc.

I am not an audiophile, any means. However, I notice very little difference in sound quality when I shift the sliders from left to right and back again. The bass doesn't get appreciably deeper, and the treble does not get appreciably more tinny. Same thing with the midtone slider. In all my other cars, shifting the equalizer settings results in demonstrably obvious changes that then allow you to settle in where you want to be.

I was never overwhelmed by the sound quality, but didn't pay any attention to it. Now, as I drive more often, I am beginning to think there may be a systems issue. Does anyone else experience minimal equalizer shift results?

I'm using @copper suggestion of +6,0,-2
I’m also close to @copper ’s suggestion but with only +4 bass. But by far the most important change I made was for the balance (for non Dolby Atmos recordings since those eliminate any changes for balance). My wife would sit in the back seat occasionally and comment how unbelievable the sound was back there and I noticed I could only hear front speakers from driver’s seat. I pushed the balance more to the back and the sound was so much better. At least in my car. I’m trying to use Dolby Atmos exclusively now but am struggling with how often the music just stops. And yes I’m on the current software.

I’m also close to @copper ’s suggestion but with only +4 bass. But by far the most important change I made was for the balance (for non Dolby Atmos recordings since those eliminate any changes for balance). My wife would sit in the back seat occasionally and comment how unbelievable the sound was back there and I noticed I could only hear front speakers from driver’s seat. I pushed the balance more to the back and the sound was so much better. At least in my car. I’m trying to use Dolby Atmos exclusively now but am struggling with how often the music just stops. And yes I’m on the current software.
That sudden, unexpected, and seemingly random stopping of the music is really jarring and disconcerting. Moreover, you have no idea when it will return.

It's bad enough when driving alone. With passengers, it's very embarrassing.

Ok now that shift to the rear speakers I can hear the difference. Moved to the 6,0,-2 also. Thanks all!

I have created a playlist on Tidal that has almost 550 Dolby Atmos recordings (old remastered and brand new). They sound great with the original @copper settings (+4 and -2) and I also moved the balance rearward slightly. I set the playlist to “shuffle” and all is good but occasionally it does stop. I think the cause might be Tidal losing the streaming signal??

I have created a playlist on Tidal that has almost 550 Dolby Atmos recordings (old remastered and brand new). They sound great with the original @copper settings (+4 and -2) and I also moved the balance rearward slightly. I set the playlist to “shuffle” and all is good but occasionally it does stop. I think the cause might be Tidal losing the streaming signal??
Ooh, is there a way to share that list?

I would assume the carefully engineered sound systems in most premium cars are designed to produce the flattest response curves with equalizer settings at center. Thus changing those settings results in tailoring sound to individual preferences rather than producing the most accurate response curves?

I have found that I like the Air's sound best at the preset equalizer settings. My partner is a bass addict, and when he turns the bass up in the Air I find the sound becomes annoyingly bass heavy to my ear. (There is a subtle deep bass line that comes in halfway into Lyle Lovett's "The Road to Ensenada" that I use as a bass reference test. Even at the "0" bass setting in the Air, that bass line vibrates the bottom of the car seats.)

My wife would sit in the back seat occasionally and comment how unbelievable the sound was back there and I noticed I could only hear front speakers from driver’s seat,

We've had the same experience. Friends sitting in back have enthused over the great audio system, while sitting in the front seats we perceived a very forward sound stage.

I am not an audiophile, any means. However, I notice very little difference in sound quality when I shift the sliders from left to right and back again. The bass doesn't get appreciably deeper, and the treble does not get appreciably more tinny. Same thing with the midtone slider. In all my other cars, shifting the equalizer settings results in demonstrably obvious changes that then allow you to settle in where you want to be.

I was never overwhelmed by the sound quality, but didn't pay any attention to it. Now, as I drive more often, I am beginning to think there may be a systems issue. Does anyone else experience minimal equalizer shift results?
There is a software issue where the bass gets lost and the equalizer does not work. I was hoping that the latest software update would fix it, but alas, it occurred within a day of the update. The glitch is intermittent and goes away with a reset of the car. I'm sure that it will get solved with a future update, but for a the extra money I paid for the GT model, it is frustrating to say the least since this is one of the few differences from the Touring model.

There is a software issue where the bass gets lost and the equalizer does not work. I was hoping that the latest software update would fix it, but alas, it occurred within a day of the update. The glitch is intermittent and goes away with a reset of the car. I'm sure that it will get solved with a future update, but for a the extra money I paid for the GT model, it is frustrating to say the least since this is one of the few differences from the Touring model.
If a full restart with the Valet card doesn’t fix it, call service. The EQ should respond. Works fine in my car playing Tidal tracks before and after 1.2.6.

If a full restart with the Valet card doesn’t fix it, call service. The EQ should respond. Works fine in my car playing Tidal tracks before and after 1.2.6.
Again, happens inermittently and shut down and soft restart clears the problem, but a pain in the butt especially I have a long drive and it defaults to this mode.

I just picked up my GT yesterday and noticed no bass at all. How can I perform a reset to see if it fixes the issue?

I just picked up my GT yesterday and noticed no bass at all. How can I perform a reset to see if it fixes the issue?
1) turn on turn signal
2) get out of car
3) lock car
4) once signal stops it's reset

alternative

1) get out of car
2) lock it, by pushing in handle
3) get away from car for 5 minutes?

There's a soft reboot and a hard reboot. The hard reboot requires you to stay away from the car for 15 minutes. (We were instructed to do a hard reboot on our recent road trip to straighten out the hot mess that our Nav system turned into at a rest stop.)

I had to do the turn signal reboot the other day. I was driving and asked Alexa to call my wife. The entire right side of the upper screen went blank. Reboot fixed it, but maybe Alexa was trying to tell me something... 🤨

I had to do the turn signal reboot the other day. I was driving and asked Alexa to call my wife. The entire right side of the upper screen went blank. Reboot fixed it, but maybe Alexa was trying to tell me something... 🤨
Saw something very similar when I asked Alexa to do a home automation task I had set up. Reboot fixed it. Turns out using the app to lock the car puts it into deep sleep. Waited about 10 seconds and then unlocked. Did all of that with customer service on the phone.

Back