Arizona Registration - Check your Lucid valuation

Did L&J mention how long it would take for them to get back to you? My registration just expired, and although I have an appointment today at the DMV, I'm considering rescheduling for a later date. When I visited the DMV on December 1, they informed me that if this issue wasn't resolved by my expiration date (December 15), they would grant me a one-month extension. When I check the ADOT MVD site, my Touring renewal still reflects an MSRP of $154,000.

I'm curious if there's someone at Lucid responsible for overseeing this registration process and handling interactions with third-party providers like L&J and the DMV. It would be beneficial to have an advocate at Lucid handle this, as they might carry more influence in these discussions
I went down to Airpark again today. They contacted Lucid and they were quoted one $113000 for my car. But the Arizona law says it should be based on manufactures base retail price. So that would be 95,000 ( without options). So I decided not to proceed with them to renew my car registration.

I just contacted Lucid and their DMV division is going to get in touch with me. I also called the DMV again to clarify what does base manufactures retail price mean. The lady didn’t have a clue. She just said that they go by what number the manufacturer gives them. There’s no definition of it and it’s not written anywhere on the website. I think there’s a big problem here where lot of people from Arizona are paying a higher tax for their car than they are supposed to. The law clearly says base retail price which means price without options. Manufacturers are giving pricing with all options and in my case, they even included the documentation fee in the price, and that should not be the case ( this was confirmed by the lady I talked to at the DMV).

It’s a big mess. I’m tempted to contact a newspaper reporter to blow this up. AZ DMV charging more tax than admissible by law.

I asked Airpark how to calculate manufacturers base retail price. She said they go by manufacturers quoted price. “ this is how it has always been done”

I think AZ law is being broken- manufacturers, DMV, private vehicle licensing organizations together. Not intentional, but just incompetence.

I went down to Airpark again today. They contacted Lucid and they were quoted one $113000 for my car. But the Arizona law says it should be based on manufactures base retail price. So that would be 95,000 ( without options). So I decided not to proceed with them to renew my car registration.

I just contacted Lucid and their DMV division is going to get in touch with me. I also called the DMV again to clarify what does base manufactures retail price mean. The lady didn’t have a clue. She just said that they go by what number the manufacturer gives them. There’s no definition of it and it’s not written anywhere on the website. I think there’s a big problem here where lot of people from Arizona are paying a higher tax for their car than they are supposed to. The law clearly says base retail price which means price without options. Manufacturers are giving pricing with all options and in my case, they even included the documentation fee in the price, and that should not be the case ( this was confirmed by the lady I talked to at the DMV).

It’s a big mess. I’m tempted to contact a newspaper reporter to blow this up. AZ DMV charging more tax than admissible by law.
Well done! I'll be very interested in what Lucid's DMV division has to say. I'm not one to let something like this go and it's obvious you are not either. I rescheduled my DMV appointment at the Scottsdale branch for Thursday afternoon.

I calculate my overcharge for 2022 at $472 and $401.20 for 2023.

The law clearly says base retail price which means price without options.
Source? The sources I can find seem to define "manufacturer's base retail price" as MSRP, which would include the options.

Source? The sources I can find seem to define "manufacturer's base retail price" as MSRP, which would include the options.
AZ DMV does not define Manufacturers base retail price anywhere. I just talked to a consumer lawyer and he couldn't find anything.

I just found something on autotrader and consumer reports when googling- though this may not present a strong legal argument.

From autotrader.com-

What Does MSRP Mean?

What Is the Difference Between the Base Price and the MSRP?
`The base price is a vehicle’s price without options, whereas the MSRP is the car’s price as it sits in the showroom — with options, destination charge, and any dealership add- ons.

Talking to the lawyer, he said the intent is what the courts will look at. Without a strong legal definition, we won't be able to prove that manufacturers base retail price should be base price without options. Perhaps we could force them to define it properly and inform manufacturers, but this is what they seem to be doing anyway. I was shocked when the DMV senior represntative said it wasn't defined anywhere. You would think it would be writtem somewhere.

He felt the issue was on Lucid's part- not providing proper information to DMV sites about the correct price of the vehicle.

Lucid DMV team just got back to me an quoted 113k ( includes destination). At least that is better than the 154k I was initially being valued at for my Touring model.

Only thing I'm waiting for is to see is if destination charges should be excluded. Base retail means it should be excluded. I'm not one to pay the taxman even a dollar more than I should.

AZMVD shows the MSRP of my Touring as $95,000. Would the fee not be based on this?
Registratiion copy.jpg

Talking to the lawyer, he said the intent is what the courts will look at. Without a strong legal definition, we won't be able to prove that manufacturers base retail price should be base price without options. Perhaps we could force them to define it properly and inform manufacturers, but this is what they seem to be doing anyway. I was shocked when the DMV senior represntative said it wasn't defined anywhere. You would think it would be writtem somewhere.
ADOT can't be arbitrary in the way it differentially applies the statute. But, on the other hand, that would be a very expensive discovery process for a tiny benefit so I don't see any way any competent attorney would handle the matter.

I'm about to have a similar situation in Iowa as well. I'm taking delivery of a Pure in a couple weeks and Iowa says the value is $87,400 but it should be $77,400. That's an extra $100 a year in registration fees.

Perhaps @gaskiller can let us know a path to get in touch with the Lucid registration/DMV team without posting Lucid email addresses.
I just called lucid customer service and rep asked me to reply to an email that was sent after lodging a complaint, to explain in more detail.

AZMVD shows the MSRP of my Touring as $95,000. Would the fee not be based on this?View attachment 17159
Yep, mine was a Dec 2022 as well. Its probably stemmed from a mess up on Lucid's part not informing that a 2022 Touring is being sold in AZ.

So the AZ DMV just picked Grand Touring and valued my Touring it at 154k. Robbery by the taxman! Just sucks that they have absolutely no accountability.

I just received a call from the DMV advising that my MSRP has been updated to $95,000. They processed my renewal for $662.88 and are sending a refund for $393, representing the overpayment.

Looking at my account online I see there was a TnR correction by Airpark Motor Vehicle Services LLC yesterday.

I just received a call from the DMV advising that my MSRP has been updated to $95,000. They processed my renewal for $662.88 and are sending a refund for $393, representing the overpayment.

Looking at my account online I see there was a TnR correction by Airpark Motor Vehicle Services LLC yesterday.
Is yours a base model or has options? What was the actual MSRP. Airpark was saying mine should be 113k.

Is yours a base model or has options? What was the actual MSRP. Airpark was saying mine should be 113k.
It’s fully loaded. I’d touch base again with Airpark or the DMV. In my case, it seems they only made the update/correction yesterday morning so things may have changed since you last spoke to them.

It’s fully loaded. I’d touch base again with Airpark or the DMV. In my case, it seems they only made the update/correction yesterday morning so things may have changed since you last spoke to them.
Got it, thanks. Wonder why AIrpark said 113k when I went by there on Monday. Glad I didn't pay them and walked out. Hopefully they will change mine to 95k.

Back