Arizona Registration - Check your Lucid valuation

I checked my valuation and it was correct, purchased in March of 2022. I do not see any harm in contacting your DA or the Scottsdale studio and asking about it.

I just talked to the AZ MVD. Very nice person on their level 2 support. She did spend some time researching and came back with an acknowledgement that the Touring MSRP is $95,000. She said, however, that what Lucid sent to them for my car shows the $154,000. She said I'd have to contact Lucid to straighten out. I told her I have my window sticker here showing Touring (not GT) and my contract agrees with the $95,000 valuation. She did say I could make an appointment and bring those documents in, but recommended I start with "the dealer".

I think I'll make an appointment for a few weeks out and see what @gaskiller reports back from his appointment. Not sure if contacting Lucid would be worthwhile.
Just in general, no governmental agency wants to refund money back. They will make it difficult to see if you are serious. I'd bring in your contract, the relevant passages cited in this thread and make your case at the DMV. I'm no lawyer but I know there are a couple that are members here. Would love them to chime in...

I set up an appointment at the Scottsdale branch for Thursday afternoon. I'll bring my purchase agreement and my window sticker and see what they say.

@mcr16 if you may have any suggestion on an individual or department I could contact to discuss, it would be appreciated. I'd like to come armed to the appointment with as much documentation as I can. Not sure what Lucid may have sent to the AZ DMV saying the Touring had an MSRP of $154,000, but if perhaps they did at one point and that's been corrected, I'd like to show it to to the DMV, thanks.

I set up an appointment at the Scottsdale branch for Thursday afternoon. I'll bring my purchase agreement and my window sticker and see what they say.

@mcr16 if you may have any suggestion on an individual or department I could contact to discuss, it would be appreciated. I'd like to come armed to the appointment with as much documentation as I can. Not sure what Lucid may have sent to the AZ DMV saying the Touring had an MSRP of $154,000, but if perhaps they did at one point and that's been corrected, I'd like to show it to to the DMV, thanks.
I used to be a government executive (not at ADOT). If you are not successful, one solution is to write to the Governor. The Governor's office then refers the letter to the relevant agency for a response and tracks that. Usually, knowing that they have to report back to the Governor gets a better response. Agencies track all Governor referrals; they do not want the Governor's office saying they are not responsive.

I used to be a government executive (not at ADOT). If you are not successful, one solution is to write to the Governor. The Governor's office then refers the letter to the relevant agency for a response and tracks that. Usually, knowing that they have to report back to the Governor gets a better response. Agencies track all Governor referrals; they do not want the Governor's office saying they are not responsive.
If they aren't responsive this afternoon, maybe I'll casually drop the governor's name. I'm going in with my window sticker and purchase agreement. Unfortunately my window sticker shows base price as $107,400, so I expect some confusion there. My guess is they'll say I need to contact the dealer. That's what they kept telling me on the phone.

It's all good, I'm in no rush and am not the type to drop the matter. I'll report back after my DMV appointment later today.

If they aren't responsive this afternoon, maybe I'll casually drop the governor's name. I'm going in with my window sticker and purchase agreement. Unfortunately my window sticker shows base price as $107,400, so I expect some confusion there. My guess is they'll say I need to contact the dealer. That's what they kept telling me on the phone.

It's all good, I'm in no rush and am not the type to drop the matter. I'll report back after my DMV appointment later today.

Please keep us updated. There are a lot of AZ folks here who will likely be happy to back you up if you need to write some more letters to representatives.

Here's what I'll be asking for when I visit the DMV shortly...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 11.54.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 11.54.08 AM.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 58

But my dealer invoice showed the taxes to be 893.60 for a Touring ( bought Dec 2022) Lower than what I was quouted on the renewal ( more than $1000) . I don't think it was a dealer mistake per se. The AZDOT is messing this up by not accurately valuing the vehicles. I would love to make this a class action and teach them a lesson not to scam us Arizonians out of money and take this more seriously. Imagine how many paid more than they were supposed to because of this incompetence by Gov officals.

Yesterday, I spent around an hour at the Scottsdale DMV, reviewing my situation. I began by speaking with a front-line representative, and after some time, a supervisor joined the discussion. It took a while to explain, but eventually, both agreed that the license fees for my Touring should be calculated based on a $95,000 value, rather than the incorrect $154,000 they had been using.

It appears that Lucid utilized a third-party service, L&J Motor Vehicle Services (also known as Airpark Motor Vehicle Services), to handle interactions with the DMV. It seems that the wrong MSRP might be due to their error. The Scottsdale DMV has initiated a case and is reaching out to L&J to investigate and hopefully rectify this issue. It might take a couple of weeks, and I'll provide updates once I learn more.

Although I had already paid my 2024 renewal a couple of weeks ago, the DMV managed to cancel that payment and return those funds to my DMV account. If this matter isn't resolved by December 15 when my tags expire, they will grant me a one-month extension. Ideally, a favorable resolution would involve L&J reimbursing the overpayment made in 2022 and collaborating with the DMV to correct the MSRP to $95,000. At that point, I would proceed with my renewal based on the accurate MSRP.

Yesterday, I spent around an hour at the Scottsdale DMV, reviewing my situation. I began by speaking with a front-line representative, and after some time, a supervisor joined the discussion. It took a while to explain, but eventually, both agreed that the license fees for my Touring should be calculated based on a $95,000 value, rather than the incorrect $154,000 they had been using.

It appears that Lucid utilized a third-party service, L&J Motor Vehicle Services (also known as Airpark Motor Vehicle Services), to handle interactions with the DMV. It seems that the wrong MSRP might be due to their error. The Scottsdale DMV has initiated a case and is reaching out to L&J to investigate and hopefully rectify this issue. It might take a couple of weeks, and I'll provide updates once I learn more.

Although I had already paid my 2024 renewal a couple of weeks ago, the DMV managed to cancel that payment and return those funds to my DMV account. If this matter isn't resolved by December 15 when my tags expire, they will grant me a one-month extension. Ideally, a favorable resolution would involve L&J reimbursing the overpayment made in 2022 and collaborating with the DMV to correct the MSRP to $95,000. At that point, I would proceed with my renewal based on the accurate MSRP.
This is another in a long line of aspects of running a car business that would scare away most people. Forget having to design and build a car. Crash test. Market. Build a factory. Hire thousands of people. You still have to deal with 50 different states and their DMVs. Plus every other country you enter.

What a mess. Glad the folks at the AZ DMV are open to working with you on this. Sounds like you are on your way to a resolution, at least.

This is another in a long line of aspects of running a car business that would scare away most people. Forget having to design and build a car. Crash test. Market. Build a factory. Hire thousands of people. You still have to deal with 50 different states and their DMVs. Plus every other country you enter.

What a mess. Glad the folks at the AZ DMV are open to working with you on this. Sounds like you are on your way to a resolution, at least.
I know this is about Arizona, but I sanity checked Alabama. It appeared correct according to my paperwork.

However, I have no idea how that pans out with current incentives for 22' and 23' models with tax obligations.

Well done!!! I have actually used L&J for registrations instead of waiting in line at the DMV and I can see them getting this screwed up. Congrats on getting this resolved (it seems). I wonder if the fix will be applied retroactively to others in a similar situation (while still rare, there are a lot of Lucids in the Scottsdale area).

Good to hear. At least they are responsive. Would be interesting to see if they send updated license fees to all those affected. Wonder how many other vehicle makes have been affected by this. They should dump L and J and look for someone else to do their valuation. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. Thanks for update!

It’s based on the MSRP of when your car was made so I have a GT built in 2022 so it’s MSRP at the time was 154k ish so that makes sense to me. However it does seem like a mistake if Touring is also being charged 154k would be curious what they valued the Pure for. Also it depreciates yearly on a set depreciation curve not according to market rate. So it’s not like next year you expect to pay for 110k worth on a GT you will pay 154k minus 1 year depreciation.

It seem part of the problem is they think Lucid air is just the type and doesn’t have different types of Lucids… interesting…

IMG_2317.jpeg

Today I visited the AZ DMV in Scottsdale to have them revalue my Touring ( $154k vs 95k). Supervisor said he was going to email their 3rd party vendor and see if they can update the Touring pricing ( which they don't have in the system, they see GT and GT Performance, no Touring) in their computer program. Until they do that, valuation for VLT cannot be corrected. Since my license is up for renewal in 2 weeks, I was told to come my the DMV to pick up a 1 month temporary plate. I hope this is not one of those things where I'm doing this for 5-6 months.

I'm surprised since your vist, they haven't updated anything. And looks like unless you go down there, your valuation is set in stone. Don't expect DMV to send out refund notices. I hope they dont renew with L and J/ Airpark. What a unnecessary cluster they created by their incompetence.

I actually made an appoinment Monday with Airpark Title and Registration. I'm going down there to see if I can get them to act faster and add the Touring model. I don't like the notion of driving around with temp plates.

With my registration expiring today, I placed a call to the DMV to follow up on my Nov. 30 visit to the Scottsdale DMV. I asked the representative to check in with the supervisor in that office that I spoke with a couple of weeks ago. I did not receive a return call. I do have an appointment on Tuesday afternoon. If I don't hear back, I'll show up onsite to get an update.

I'm encouraged by @gaskiller pursuing from the other end with L&J, a.k.a. Airpark Motor Vehicle Services. We'll get this resolved one way or the other.

So I went to Airpark/ L and J today. They denied being the third party provider for AZDMV car valuations. What I was told was that private registration firms like Airpark put in valuations on a centralized website that everyone has acces to. They couldn't find my Touring trim, they just got Grand Touring at 154k when they looked in their system. Supervisor will call Lucid to find the MSRP of my car and update.

Imagine having a system like this which depends on manual verification and entry by private service providers. How trustworthy would their valuation be?

I pointed out it says 95k on my purchase order, but they wanted to call Lucid and find out. Only issue is, will Lucid quote 95k base MSRP or 113k MSRP that I paid for the car. When I questioned that, they just said they will have to go by what Lucid quotes them.

Imagine how many people are getting shammed like this in Arizona.

I'm not letting this go until they value my car at 95k! This should be a pretty easy class action if they don't get their act together.

So I went to Airpark/ L and J today. They denied being the third party provider for AZDMV car valuations. What I was told was that private registration firms like Airpark put in valuations on a centralized website that everyone has acces to. They couldn't find my Touring trim, they just got Grand Touring at 154k when they looked in their system. Supervisor will call Lucid to find the MSRP of my car and update.

Imagine having a system like this which depends on manual verification and entry by private service providers. How trustworthy would their valuation be?

I pointed out it says 95k on my purchase order, but they wanted to call Lucid and find out. Only issue is, will Lucid quote 95k base MSRP or 113k MSRP that I paid for the car. When I questioned that, they just said they will have to go by what Lucid quotes them.

Imagine how many people are getting shammed like this in Arizona.

I'm not letting this go until they value my car at 95k! This should be a pretty easy class action if they don't get their act together.
Did L&J mention how long it would take for them to get back to you? My registration just expired, and although I have an appointment today at the DMV, I'm considering rescheduling for a later date. When I visited the DMV on December 1, they informed me that if this issue wasn't resolved by my expiration date (December 15), they would grant me a one-month extension. When I check the ADOT MVD site, my Touring renewal still reflects an MSRP of $154,000.

I'm curious if there's someone at Lucid responsible for overseeing this registration process and handling interactions with third-party providers like L&J and the DMV. It would be beneficial to have an advocate at Lucid handle this, as they might carry more influence in these discussions

Back