Arizona Registration - Check your Lucid valuation

gaskiller

I just logged into AZMVD website to check my registration. Just realized my Lucid Touring was valued at 154k, which is 50k more than what it should be, meaning your yearly fee ( based on car valuation ) is significantly more than it should be. Pretty horrifying to see those DMV workers incompetence.

Someone in the AZ registration department got lazy.

Those of you from AZ, please check the valuation of your car. I am now making an appointment to get this sorted out.

I just logged into AZMVD website to check my registration. Just realized my Lucid Touring was valued at 154k, which is 50k more than what it should be, meaning your yearly fee ( based on car valuation ) is significantly more than it should be. Pretty horrifying to see those DMV workers incompetence.

Those of you from AZ, please check the valuation of your car. I am now making an appointment to get this sorted out.
Please keep us posted.
I'm up for renewal in a couple of weeks.
Thanks.

I will have to check mine.

I don't even know what the appeal process involves and couldn't find any info on AZ DMV.
Anyone has a link?

New to the state. Do they respect the purchase price on used vehicles?

I just found this! "The first-time registration fee for EVs in Arizona will increase by a factor of 20 after Dec 31, 2021. The cost basis upon which the registration fee is calculated will increase from 1% of MSRP to 20% of MSRP for EVs first registered in 2022. For example, the fee charged for an EV with an MSRP of $60k would increase from $24 if first registered in 2021 to $480 if first registered in 2022. The cost basis for subsequent years is based on that initial valuation."

Oh wow, I just paid my AZ renewal on my Touring. Following...

$1056.08. Just logged in to see how much and yes, it says it's factory list price $154,000!
Oh that’s not as bad as I was expecting. I am coming from Colorado and paid $2300 last year for my plates 😳

Same here $2300 in Vegas. $1k is not bad at all lol.

Who are you folks bribing for those rates? I'm guessing we are discussing tag renewal vs electric fee? Ours is under $100 for the electric fee in Alabama, but the usual tag renewal sits at 2k+.

I don't even know what the appeal process involves and couldn't find any info on AZ DMV.
Anyone has a link?
I called and talked to a rep and was told to make an appointment at AZ DMV office to address this.

$1056.08. Just logged in to see how much and yes, it says it's factory list price $154,000!
You should make an appointment and ask for a refund. They should base it on your trim level, not the highest trim level. I'm not letting this go. Pure robbery by the GOV!

In AZ

" For a motor vehicle that is initially registered in this state during a period beginning January 1, 2022 and ending December 31, 2022, during the first twelve months of the life of the motor vehicle as determined by its initial registration, the value of the motor vehicle is twenty percent of the manufacturer's base retail price of the motor vehicle. During each succeeding twelve-month period, the value of the motor vehicle is fifteen percent less than the value for the preceding twelve-month period."

Note, it is based on the " manufacturers base retail price " . That is the price without options. Meaning Touring should be valued at 95k ( price without options) , is the way I see it.

I also saw this on Azdot.gov:

"A vehicle license tax is included as part of the annual fee toregister your vehicle. It is based on an assessed value of 60percent of the manufacturer’s base retail price reduced by16.25 percent for each year since the vehicle was firstregistered in Arizona (15% before 8-1-98).From there, the rate is calculated based on the assessedvalue. $2.80 per $100 of assessed value for new vehiclesand $2.89 per $100 for used vehicles."

It says the manufacturer's base retail price. Would that infer any Lucid Air would obey the base price of the vehicle which in this case is $75k for the pure model? That would be base technically of the line? Or am I reading into it too much?

I also saw this on Azdot.gov:

"A vehicle license tax is included as part of the annual fee toregister your vehicle. It is based on an assessed value of 60percent of the manufacturer’s base retail price reduced by16.25 percent for each year since the vehicle was firstregistered in Arizona (15% before 8-1-98).From there, the rate is calculated based on the assessedvalue. $2.80 per $100 of assessed value for new vehiclesand $2.89 per $100 for used vehicles."

It says the manufacturer's base retail price. Would that infer any Lucid Air would obey the base price of the vehicle which in this case is $75k for the pure model? That would be base technically of the line? Or am I reading into it too much?
How is manufacturers base retail price defined?

From the Consuner Financial Protection Bureau - a GOV agency

"The manufacturer’s base price is the cost of a vehicle without optional features, such as a sunroof, and add-on products, such as extended warranties or service contracts."

I'm going to ask that they value my Touring at the base price with no options ( 95k) and see where it goes.

Quick update: I just got my registration information to register my used Dream Edition Performance and they evaluated my vehicle at $170k.

I have some problems with this though and spoke with the associate dealing with my file. What she told me was that it was a third party database that they use to evaluate the cars value. So they plug in the vin and it spits back a number. She said there is no way to appeal this either. It seems like that database does not keep up with price changes though.

Unfortunately in my case, they will never update that number since the car trim isn't manufactured anymore. I asked a question along the lines of "In theory, since my car isn't produced anymore, in 50 years if someone were to import this vehicle into AZ, they would be taxed for a vehicle with an MSRP of $170k?" And she told me that is true. So a really janky system and I am hoping one of you make some headway in the appeals process because I got the car for $90k. Almost a 50% depreciation and the state could care less since the MSRP never changed nor will it ever change.

Quick update: I just got my registration information to register my used Dream Edition Performance and they evaluated my vehicle at $170k.

I have some problems with this though and spoke with the associate dealing with my file. What she told me was that it was a third party database that they use to evaluate the cars value. So they plug in the vin and it spits back a number. She said there is no way to appeal this either. It seems like that database does not keep up with price changes though.

Unfortunately in my case, they will never update that number since the car trim isn't manufactured anymore. I asked a question along the lines of "In theory, since my car isn't produced anymore, in 50 years if someone were to import this vehicle into AZ, they would be taxed for a vehicle with an MSRP of $170k?" And she told me that is true. So a really janky system and I am hoping one of you make some headway in the appeals process because I got the car for $90k. Almost a 50% depreciation and the state could care less since the MSRP never changed nor will it ever change.
That is terrible. I see a lawsuit in the works. I am going to see if they value my car appropriately. If not, I'm ready to sue the State of Arizona. This is pure incompetence and robbery. Tax payers should not be scammed by the Gov like this. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. If they don't revalue my car, I'm getting a lawyer. This looks like a good class action.

That is terrible. I see a lawsuit in the works. I am going to see if they value my car appropriately. If not, I'm ready to sue the State of Arizona. This is pure incompetence and robbery. Tax payers should not be scammed by the Gov like this. I have an appointment in 2 weeks. If they don't revalue my car, I'm getting a lawyer. This looks like a good class action.
Let us know how the lawsuit turns out. If the car is overvalued by $75k, your excess tax is $1,260 ($2.80 x 60% per $100 of value). Good luck getting a lawyer to sue the state for $1,260 in damages.

I just talked to the AZ MVD. Very nice person on their level 2 support. She did spend some time researching and came back with an acknowledgement that the Touring MSRP is $95,000. She said, however, that what Lucid sent to them for my car shows the $154,000. She said I'd have to contact Lucid to straighten out. I told her I have my window sticker here showing Touring (not GT) and my contract agrees with the $95,000 valuation. She did say I could make an appointment and bring those documents in, but recommended I start with "the dealer".

I think I'll make an appointment for a few weeks out and see what @gaskiller reports back from his appointment. Not sure if contacting Lucid would be worthwhile.

Back