Air 2~5 months Waiting Game

northernstar

Cars
Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
X1Z1QZTQ
So... It's almost been a month, and

1. I've been getting inquiries from the sales advisor to see if I'd be interested in getting existing inventories that closely match color/options but not at 100%
2. It doesn't seem like they have a method of adding/processing my specific build into the factory

It seems like a waiting game at this point.... hoping that the factory randomly matches and produces the build that I'd like to have at some point.

Was the custom-order experience only for the Dream Edition customers for Lucid?

...Was the custom-order experience only for the Dream Edition customers for Lucid?
At least through early GT production, cars were made in batches of specific exterior colors. It could be quite a wait for a specific color of car with a particular interior.

1. I've been getting inquiries from the sales advisor to see if I'd be interested in getting existing inventories that closely match color/options but not at 100%
2. It doesn't seem like they have a method of adding/processing my specific build into the factory

It seems like a waiting game at this point.... hoping that the factory randomly matches and produces the build that I'd like to have at some point.

Dream/GT production was completely different than it is now. Dream customers got 1 choice, pick a color and wait for it to be produced.

At least through early GT production, cars were made in batches of specific exterior colors. It could be quite a wait for a specific color of car with a particular interior.
When I ordered a Cosmos silver in June of 22, they gave me a delivery in December because that color was delayed.

Any reason why you don't want an inventory car? Other than the fact it may have been sitting in a lot for some time, what's the difference? Maybe you can see if you can negotiate some $ off the price...

No. I custom ordered my Touring and the Zenith Red w/Santa Cruz batch took a long time. Most of us waited a while most over 2 years. The car is SOOOOOOOO worth the wait.

Any reason why you don't want an inventory car? Other than the fact it may have been sitting in a lot for some time, what's the difference? Maybe you can see if you can negotiate some $ off the price...
I agree with Rossb2k. I was about to custom build and wait but my sales advisor found an inventory car that had more options that I had wanted. He pointed out that it “only” increased the monthly by $40 so I jumped on it.

Well, maybe they should get rid of "Order" on their website and rather display "Search Inventory" if their sales method is not exactly order-to-produce.
I'm not sure why they would make me go through the design-my-car and order process if they're going to make me search the inventory and settle/compromise in the end.

I agree with Rossb2k. I was about to custom build and wait but my sales advisor found an inventory car that had more options that I had wanted. He pointed out that it “only” increased the monthly by $40 so I jumped on it.
I'm glad you got what you wanted.
I went with the "Order" process, and they don't seem to intend to build what I've submitted.
No existing or upcoming inventories match what I've built and submitted a month ago.

No. I custom ordered my Touring and the Zenith Red w/Santa Cruz batch took a long time. Most of us waited a while most over 2 years. The car is SOOOOOOOO worth the wait.
Assuming you've ordered back in 2021 or 2022, where there was a global shortage of parts... It's understandable to wait a long time. But this is 2024.. It's not like they're still going through chip/part shortages.

You can get "more" car for your buck if you help Lucid by clearing their inventory. Win/win.
Lucid is not in a position to build bespoke cars in a week or two.

I'm pretty sure they want to build you a car to your specifications...you'll have to wait for it. A good salesman should press you to see what it is that you value most: you clearly want instant satisfaction, they offer it, you refuse. This is the process. No harm no foul.

Assuming you've ordered back in 2021 or 2022, where there was a global shortage of parts... It's understandable to wait a long time. But this is 2024.. It's not like they're still going through chip/part shortages.
Was this not your initial question? I answered it. My custom order had a 2 year wait time. My final point remains -- the car is SOOOO worth the wait. If you can't wait, there are other inferior vehicle options out there.

Was this not your initial question? I answered it. My custom order had a 2 year wait time. My final point remains -- the car is SOOOO worth the wait. If you can't wait, there are other inferior vehicle options out there.
What annoys me the most at this stage is that they actually asked/suggested I lower my option level from my original design to match the existing inventory options.
ex. 20-way position -> 12-way position.

What annoys me the most at this stage is that they actually asked/suggested I lower my option level from my original design to match the existing inventory options.
I don't understand why that's annoying. They're just trying to get you in a car sooner, in case that's not something you strongly care about. That's their job. I've never heard of a car maker or dealership that doesn't do this.

I don't understand why that's annoying. They're just trying to get you in a car sooner, in case that's not something you strongly care about. That's their job. I've never heard of a car maker or dealership that doesn't do this.
Again, this defeats the purpose of the "ordering" process.
Asking 1 time to "consider" other existing inventory is one thing. Continuing to ask me to "reconsider" other available cars on a weekly basis that don't match what I have "ordered" is another.

Again, this defeats the purpose of the "ordering" process.
Asking 1 time to "consider" other existing inventory is one thing. Continuing to ask me to "reconsider" other available cars on a weekly basis that don't match what I have "ordered" is another.
They are offers. The alternative, as you’ve astutely surmised, is to wait.

You are more than welcome to ask them to stop offering you other vehicles, and just wait; I’m certain they’d have no problem with that.

They are offers. The alternative, as you’ve astutely surmised, is to wait.

You are more than welcome to ask them to stop offering you other vehicles, and just wait; I’m certain they’d have no problem with that.
I'm willing to wait. I waited for the Audi S5 for 5 months before building it to my specifications.
The difference is that the Audi dealer submitted my order to the factory in Ingolstadt, Germany, and provided me with the status after making the deposit.
In contrast, the Lucid sales advisor is continuously "offering" alternative inventories, and my order # has just been sitting somewhere and has not been moved for the past month.

I just hope the ordered specification goes into the factory for the actual building at some point.
It just feels like a sales tactic to move the existing inventories rather than being willing to honor the order.

It just feels like a sales tactic to move the existing inventories
Yes. Or to satisfy customers who don't care that much.
rather than being willing to honor the order.
No.

I don't know the state of the factory right now. It's there, it exists, but I imagine some things are in a transition period right now as more processes are moved into the new(ly expanded) factory. That might be a holdup right now. Just a guess. You're not going to be waiting 2 years like some people have said, that was Lucid's initial spinup time mid-pandemic. I can't imagine you won't get the car you want this year.

I was asked to swap from Santa Cruz to Tahoe which was available sooner because of the batching -- I chose to wait. And the massaging seats weren't even an option on Touring or Pure when I ordered. Given my well known and quite vocal position on the lack of even having this option or a retrofit option for Touring OG's, you'll get no sympathetic ear from me or likely any other OG Touring owners. These are truly first world problems. You want the massaging seats, wait for the car.

Back