Vampire Drain

Here's what I've discovered with the Vampire drain. If you L2 charge from 40-80% SOC overnight, you will see losses of 2-3% when you wake the car in the AM. If you charge from 70-80% overnight, you will see no losses at all. I'm now convinced that vampire drain with L2 charging is when you're adding significant charge/heat to the battery, and the BMS has to work harder to maintain optimum conditions. I've done the test 3 times now where charging from around 70-72% to 80% SOC overnight results in 0% loss, whereas charging from 40% or lower SOC to 80% SOC consistently results in 2-3% drain when you wake the car in the AM.
Are you on the latest update? This now seems to be fixed. I charged from 20- 80% yesterday and it sat for an hour and usually i would see immediate drain but it was still at 80% when I took it out. The last time I charged that much at home I was still seeing 2% loss.

Are you on the latest update? This now seems to be fixed. I charged from 20- 80% yesterday and it sat for an hour and usually i would see immediate drain but it was still at 80% when I took it out. The last time I charged that much at home I was still seeing 2% loss.
Yes. I am on the latest update. I reached out to customer care via email and this is the response ‘The vehicle consumes energy if its plugged in. The car attempts to communicate with the charger when it detects something plugged in but in this case, seems like you have it on a schedule meaning it stays plugged in, but starts and stops when you schedule it to. ‘

I guess since it’s plugged into my Chargepoint home flex and I did not unplug it but it’s set to charge tonight at 11, it was using battery ? Seems like a reason not to leave it plugged in when you go away. Otherwise will burn through electricity every night needlessly

Yes. I am on the latest update. I reached out to customer care via email and this is the response ‘The vehicle consumes energy if its plugged in. The car attempts to communicate with the charger when it detects something plugged in but in this case, seems like you have it on a schedule meaning it stays plugged in, but starts and stops when you schedule it to. ‘

I guess since it’s plugged into my Chargepoint home flex and I did not unplug it but it’s set to charge tonight at 11, it was using battery ? Seems like a reason not to leave it plugged in when you go away. Otherwise will burn through electricity every night needlessly
You happy with your home charger? Did you hardwire or plug in the charge flex

You happy with your home charger? Did you hardwire or plug in the charge flex
I ended up taking lazy way out and just plugged it in to existing NEMA 14-50. Charger is great and I like the scheduling aspect on the app and also applied for reduced rates with JCP&L . They have new program for NJ residents but must used specific types of EVSE’s of which Chargepoint is one.

It is true that if the car is plugged in and the EVSE is programmed to start later, the car will sit in a preparing to charge state. In this state, the car with continously condition the battery for charging and use energy from the battery to do it. However, once charging is complete the car will go to sleep and there should be no battery drain. Losing 6% SOC in 16 hours is a lot. It seems to me that the car did not complete charging and ended up in a preparing to charge state or completed charging and woke after the EVSE was programmed off and returned to a preparing to charge state.

It is true that if the car is plugged in and the EVSE is programmed to start later, the car will sit in a preparing to charge state. In this state, the car with continously condition the battery for charging and use energy from the battery to do it. However, once charging is complete the car will go to sleep and there should be no battery drain. Losing 6% SOC in 16 hours is a lot. It seems to me that the car did not complete charging and ended up in a preparing to charge state or completed charging and woke after the EVSE was programmed off and returned to a preparing to charge state.
It definitely finished charging and my app gave my notification that it finished. Maybe it woke up afterwards for some reason and returned to preparing to charge state as you describe. Still seems like a lot of juice that was used in short period of time. Either way, not sure I would want to leave plugged in for extended period of time and have it continuously suck energy every day. Customer care told me to charge it now and then unplug. They are also having the Charging team look at data.

It definitely finished charging and my app gave my notification that it finished. Maybe it woke up afterwards for some reason and returned to preparing to charge state as you describe. Still seems like a lot of juice that was used in short period of time. Either way, not sure I would want to leave plugged in for extended period of time and have it continuously suck energy every day. Customer care told me to charge it now and then unplug. They are also having the Charging team look at data.
Let us know when you hear back from Customer Care. I would like to understand since I just put in a Chargepoint Flex also.

@Drendino had an issue like this too lately, which I believe he too uses a ChargePoint EVSE. It would reach 80% SoC, then drain, and retrigger the charger, making for an expensive session

Kinda takes away the purpose of me scheduling the charging to save during off peak rates🤪
Couldn’t agree more! That’s one thing I am very much looking forward to in the next big update 🤞

I ended up taking lazy way out and just plugged it in to existing NEMA 14-50. Charger is great and I like the scheduling aspect on the app and also applied for reduced rates with JCP&L . They have new program for NJ residents but must used specific types of EVSE’s of which Chargepoint is one.
I found the same thing you mention with PSEG

I wouldn't say this is the lazy way out. I am waiting to receive my AGT soon. I've owned 2 Teslas for 7 years and never used anything at home other than a NEMA 14-50. I don't see any reason to purchase anything else. I have a 50 amp circuit and it charges over night and is always done by the morning. On my Teslas I got about 20 mile of range per hour. I hear I should get over 30 mph with my AGT. Seems fine to me.

I wouldn't say this is the lazy way out. I am waiting to receive my AGT soon. I've owned 2 Teslas for 7 years and never used anything at home other than a NEMA 14-50. I don't see any reason to purchase anything else. I have a 50 amp circuit and it charges over night and is always done by the morning. On my Teslas I got about 20 mile of range per hour. I hear I should get over 30 mph with my AGT. Seems fine to me.
I initially was going to hardwire myself and open up the NEMA 14-50 outlet to get a bit faster charging speed but ended up just plugging it in. Seems to be working fine and get about 32 miles/hour. Usually just top off anyways .

I've been having this vampire drain issue after the latest update(1.2.21) few days go. I always charge at DC Fast charge stations, I don't think how I'm charging is my issue. I'm losing around 10 miles of range every day. l charged the car on Tuesday night to 80% ( 377 miles shown on the dash), and drove it home ( 5miles). I have not driven the car since and it is now at 333.

I know for sure this was not happening before, because I had the car parked in the garage for two weeks when I was overseas and the car lost around 15-20 miles in that time. Anyone else experiencing anything like this with the latest update?

And yes, i am averaging 2.5mi/kWh 🤪 but I only have 300 miles on the car. So hopefully that's gonna improve.

Attachments

• 2022-10-08 13.11.09.jpg
    2022-10-08 13.11.09.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2022-10-08 13.11.03.jpg
    2022-10-08 13.11.03.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 63
I've been having this vampire drain issue after the latest update(1.2.21) few days go. I always charge at DC Fast charge stations, I don't think how I'm charging is my issue. I'm losing around 10 miles of range every day. l charged the car on Tuesday night to 80% ( 377 miles shown on the dash), and drove it home ( 5miles). I have not driven the car since and it is now at 333.

I know for sure this was not happening before, because I had the car parked in the garage for two weeks when I was overseas and the car lost around 15-20 miles in that time. Anyone else experiencing anything like this with the latest update?

And yes, i am averaging 2.5mi/kWh 🤪 but I only have 300 miles on the car. So hopefully that's gonna improve.
Is your phone or key fob nearby? Also after dcfc those fans run for almost 30 minutes before shutting down.

I’ve been having vampire drain again as well . I only have been charging at home. CS is having the Charging Team look into it. I wonder if it might be due to car downloading large amount of data for upcoming 2.0 update?

- Those numbers in efficiency will improve as you put up miles.

- % of battery is more accuracy of story than mileage display.

- usually after an EA fast charge, a lot of heat will dissipate soon if you dont put enough distance like 5 miles.

Service guy came out to fix a small item… I asked about the vampire drain, and he asked where I kept the key fob when parked. I explained it was inside the garage door about 25’ from the car… he said it has a 75’ range… I moved it to bedroom - other end of house. Vampire drain and constant start up now gone…

just thought I would share the experience…

Well the key fob being too close makes sense, except that this just started happening and the distance between where I put the key fob and the car has been the same. In any case, I'm gonna move it further away and see what happens.

Back