Vampire Drain

Sandvinsd

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Grand Touring
I know others are reporting this. I charged this morning At home on a L2 charger, as I posted in another thread, to 80%. The charge completed about 10am this morning. I unplugged, locked the car and it slept for about 3 hours. At about 1pm I go to the car for a short trip. The reading is down to 77% and the “since last charge” says I used 2 kWh. Really? In 3 hours? That is a rate of 16 kWh per day. Some rounding errors as 3% of the battery is 3.36 kWh. Tjhat is the equivalent to 24% in a day or about 27 kWh. This should not happen. Way too much drain on the batteries.

Yea, I’ve noted on many occasions what’s going on here. Doesn’t matter if it’s L2, 110V or DCFC, if you charge and park, the BMS will continue on for hours. Usually for me it consumers 5 kWh. This photo was taken yesterday showing the difference. It definitely needs some updates as not everyone charges and drives on a road trip right away where this isn’t a problem. Trip A was reset 3.5 miles after I started driving from my car being parked after DCFC, since last charge is the BMS drain as well, this doesn’t happen unless you charge then park.

Attachments

• 94BF8B03-9EF0-4591-B5F1-1E843E63E74F.jpeg
    94BF8B03-9EF0-4591-B5F1-1E843E63E74F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Yea, I’ve noted on many occasions what’s going on here. Doesn’t matter if it’s L2, 110V or DCFC, if you charge and park, the BMS will continue on for hours. Usually for me it consumers 5 kWh. This photo was taken yesterday showing the difference. It definitely needs some updates as not everyone charges and drives on a road trip right away where this isn’t a problem. Trip A was reset 3.5 miles after I started driving from my car being parked after DCFC, since last charge is the BMS drain as well, this doesn’t happen unless you charge then park.
This makes sense as I can relate sometime it drains, sometimes it does not. However your efficiency is incredible? You sure it’s not some big? Or you are running 17” tires instead? 😂 Incredible numbers.

This makes sense as I can relate sometime it drains, sometimes it does not. However your efficiency is incredible? You sure it’s not some big? Or you are running 17” tires instead? 😂 Incredible numbers.
😂 I am fortunate enough to have a commute that allows me to achieve these numbers. It sucks that the overall efficiency is brought down by the BMS system (which I have repeatedly stated I hope improves via OTA). I plugged in on my home charger last night, and immediately drove 233 miles from Sonoma County to Mt Lassen, even with all the elevation gain and i5 driving, I had a 4.1 mi/kWh, I’ll see better numbers when I go home since it’s all downhill. The car can achieve these numbers, you just have to drive like you want them! Some people are okay with less range to enjoy the speed, I wanted the range so I drive that way. Bottom line, the BMS really needs to be improved as more data is collected, this is my main point of contention.

I know others are reporting this. I charged this morning At home on a L2 charger, as I posted in another thread, to 80%. The charge completed about 10am this morning. I unplugged, locked the car and it slept for about 3 hours. At about 1pm I go to the car for a short trip. The reading is down to 77% and the “since last charge” says I used 2 kWh. Really? In 3 hours? That is a rate of 16 kWh per day. Some rounding errors as 3% of the battery is 3.36 kWh. Tjhat is the equivalent to 24% in a day or about 27 kWh. This should not happen. Way too much drain on the batteries.
Incredible drain. I recently left my car at John Wayne for 2 days. Checked on it twice during that time and when I came home it had lost a total of 3 miles 🤷‍♂️

It must be the charging that is responsible for the vampire drain which is why ChargePoint was still dispensing power when the Lucid charging was complete. The car was probably drawing power, not to fill the battery, but to run whatever it was needing to run (fans weren’t running at the time) And needed another 2-3 kWh for that. Since the charger cord was not available after unplugging, it drew it from the battery.. It sat last night for 12h, no charging, and actually GAINED 3 miles of range.

It must be the charging that is responsible for the vampire drain which is why ChargePoint was still dispensing power when the Lucid charging was complete. The car was probably drawing power, not to fill the battery, but to run whatever it was needing to run (fans weren’t running at the time) And needed another 2-3 kWh for that. Since the charger cord was not available after unplugging, it drew it from the battery.. It sat last night for 12h, no charging, and actually GAINED 3 miles of range.
Yeah I think that’s exactly it. I do notice that after charging, the car still seems very active for a period of time doing whatever it is that it’s doing.

I guess I'm confused enjoy this as well. Received notification on my phone car was fully charged at 1:40am. However, when I woke up see this on phone.
Screenshot_20220719-065424_Lucid.jpg

That's pretty significant! What is draining 4%? I understand heat losses, but wouldn't L2 have the least amount next to 110v? Car has been full at 80% so slider is at 80%

My garage is hot because of the car!

The last few times I've reached full charge, the car has stayed at full charge for hours even though it's plugged in. It didn't start back up. See graph below

Screenshot_20220719-061009_ChargePoint.jpg

Doesn't the car go into a trickle charge to maintain 80%??? To Lose 4% almost sounds like V2H

Once it hits the charge limit (80%, 100% or whatever the car is set to charge to) it shuts off. Then will slowly loos charge over about 3 hours. I presume it is the BMS system Consuming power. It is not pulling from the EVSE, but rather the car. That circuit is closed once the car reaches full charge.

in three home charging sessions, it has charged to 80% then over the course of about 3 hours, it consumes 3-4% so my first drive after charging is at 76 or 77%. What you see is exactly what I do.

Anytime I don’t charge, the power consumption overnight is minimal, 1kWh or less for the entire night.

Reactions: NPN
Once it hits the charge limit (80%, 100% or whatever the car is set to charge to) it shuts off. Then will slowly loos charge over about 3 hours. I presume it is the BMS system Consuming power. It is not pulling from the EVSE, but rather the car. That circuit is closed once the car reaches full charge.

in three home charging sessions, it has charged to 80% then over the course of about 3 hours, it consumes 3-4% so my first drive after charging is at 76 or 77%. What you see is exactly what I do.

Anytime I don’t charge, the power consumption overnight is minimal, 1kWh or less for the entire night.

Maybe we need an "Ask Lucid Engineers" thread. I don't follow, why would the BMS draw power from the battery when its connect to 240v AC?

I had contacted Customer care with a bunch of related charging, drain, efficiency questions after my last charge over the weekend. My numbers weren’t matching the car trip information ones. Since my questions were more involved, they escalated it up and actually scheduled someone to come out, presumably to pull car data and compare notes with me. I figured it could all be done remotely, but guess not. Anyway, that is definitely a question I will ask when they are here. ill post what I hear. I agree that 3-4% battery loss, or up to about 4.5 kWh is a lot of drain and it would make sense to pull from the charger instead of the car. I am also wanting to understand about a 20% difference in what I calculate the car should have received and what the car says it consumed.

Guess that is what happens when a scientist buys the car. Want to understand what is going on with a lot more than hand waving. Probably what was driving my DA nuts when I was asking what “specifically” was causing the delivery delay.

I had contacted Customer care with a bunch of related charging, drain, efficiency questions after my last charge over the weekend. My numbers weren’t matching the car trip information ones. Since my questions were more involved, they escalated it up and actually scheduled someone to come out, presumably to pull car data and compare notes with me. I figured it could all be done remotely, but guess not. Anyway, that is definitely a question I will ask when they are here. ill post what I hear. I agree that 3-4% battery loss, or up to about 4.5 kWh is a lot of drain and it would make sense to pull from the charger instead of the car. I am also wanting to understand about a 20% difference in what I calculate the car should have received and what the car says it consumed.

Guess that is what happens when a scientist buys the car. Want to understand what is going on with a lot more than hand waving. Probably what was driving my DA nuts when I was asking what “specifically” was causing the delivery delay.
For comparison sake, my I Pace was parked 5+ weeks waiting for a part after a minor collision, and there was only 3 miles lost.

For comparison sake, my I Pace was parked 5+ weeks waiting for a part after a minor collision, and there was only 3 miles lost.

You have me wondering. I am going to see if I can unplug my car right when it hits 80% and see if it drops as much.

Maybe we need an "Ask Lucid Engineers" thread. I don't follow, why would the BMS draw power from the battery when its connect to 240v AC?
I have asked several times about how SOC is determined because when unplugged I have seen the SOC increase overnight rather than decrease. While some vampire drain is real, most of what we are seeing are likely errors in the SOC estimation. Both times I asked this, customer care said they were asking engineering and would let me know. I have yet to hear back. I am hoping someone else may have better luck.

You have me wondering. I am going to see if I can unplug my car right when it hits 80% and see if it drops as much.
It will. In order for it to not drop, you currently have to go and drive. How far? Not sure..I’ve driven 40+ miles after completing a charge and in the few hours after parking, still lost range. I have also charged and driven 185 miles and then parked, didn’t lose range. Sooo somewhere in that ballpark!

It does. My first charge was unplugged immediately after. Second charge sat plugged all night. Third charge wasn’t completed until morning so unplugged perhaps an hour after completion. All lost the same amount.

Back