Vampire Drain

This time I charged from 50-80% on L2 at home and woke up to 78% so it does still have the overnight drain when plugged in. I guess maybe as you approach a higher SOC% the drain is less for some reason, maybe cuz slower charging so less heat generated?
This may have been said on this thread before, but what I have seen is that after fully charged on my provided level 2 charger, it hits 80% and since that is where I have set max charge it stops, but while still plugged in it uses enough energy that it drops to 78 or 79 percent by the time I check on it the next day. If I unplug it when full at 80% it uses less than 1% a day sitting as long as I don't wake it with my phone or my keys.

My vampire drain has increased to 3-5 miles per day from 1-2. Not sure if this is a result of the last update?

My vampire drain has increased to 3-5 miles per day from 1-2. Not sure if this is a result of the last update?
I measure mine in percentage. I was losing a couple KW a day before 1.2.10 which is 7 or 8 miles. Since then, I am using less than a kw per day, 3 - 4. I can't say if this is because the weather has cooled or if they have a handle on idle process.

I didn't remember the exact amount but tech said the car uses 4kW just running the car in preparation to drive. Hopefully, this big update changes the levels sleep.

I found that my phone caused the car to cycle awake and asleep even though it was 40' away and several interior house walls from the car. I turned off Bluetooth and it stopped doing that. Probably not the same thing, but it definitely causing my battery to drain a bit over night.

I found that my phone caused the car to cycle awake and asleep even though it was 40' away and several interior house walls from the car. I turned off Bluetooth and it stopped doing that. Probably not the same thing, but it definitely causing my battery to drain a bit over night.
Seems like your walls need more insulation...

My last charge was Tuesday night and I didn’t drive the car until this morning. When I turned on the car it was showing 80% still, so the 1.2.10 update, or the recent service visit, must have solved the vampire drain. The ”since last charge” showed only 1 kWh had been consumed during those 30 hours or so. Quite happy with that!

My last charge was Tuesday night and I didn’t drive the car until this morning. When I turned on the car it was showing 80% still, so the 1.2.10 update, or the recent service visit, must have solved the vampire drain. The ”since last charge” showed only 1 kWh had been consumed during those 30 hours or so. Quite happy with that!
Here's what I've discovered with the Vampire drain. If you L2 charge from 40-80% SOC overnight, you will see losses of 2-3% when you wake the car in the AM. If you charge from 70-80% overnight, you will see no losses at all. I'm now convinced that vampire drain with L2 charging is when you're adding significant charge/heat to the battery, and the BMS has to work harder to maintain optimum conditions. I've done the test 3 times now where charging from around 70-72% to 80% SOC overnight results in 0% loss, whereas charging from 40% or lower SOC to 80% SOC consistently results in 2-3% drain when you wake the car in the AM.

So, since I'm new (as in don't even have any EV yet) when you home charge the car charges to where you have it set to stop, BUT, does not maintain that SOC correct?
I guess I just assumed that it would do whatever the chargers do to maintain your 80% for example SOC. I guess my thoughts were incorrect.

Why am I getting this?
Screenshot_20220902-215958_Adblock Browser.jpg

somewhere I read that driving the car after charging will eliminate the vampire drain... after being driven for some unknown amount, the BMS leaves it alone... not sure if this is true, but I plan to try it on my trip next week...

somewhere I read that driving the car after charging will eliminate the vampire drain... after being driven for some unknown amount, the BMS leaves it alone... not sure if this is true, but I plan to try it on my trip next week...
It just helps cool the batteries so the fans don't need to run as long

:) ... I gained a few miles during the night ... Reverse Vampire Drain ... Lots of love in the "air" I guess.

EA (150kw) charging yday night, drove & got back home. Turned off climate control. Locked the car. Did not plug in.

Y'day night remaining range: 354
Morning remaining range: 356

I'm on 1.2.17. Key fobs are in a Faraday box

Attachments

• 20220904_114454.jpg
    20220904_114454.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220903_211919.jpg
    20220903_211919.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
Wait what 1.2.17?

It came right behind 1.2.11, within a day, for me. And approx 5 to 8 minute install time.

I think this is one part of the foundation for the next 'big update' that is expected by EOY.

It came right behind 1.2.11, within a day, for me. And approx 5 to 8 minute install time.

I think this is one part of the foundation for the next 'big update' that is expected by EOY.

Maybe it turned on the magic smoke encapsulation, 🤣

Just noticed I lost 6% over the past 16 hours with my car sitting in the garage 😳. I charged on L2 Chargepoint HF to 80% and finished at 12:52am . Haven’t driven all day or looked at app. Just checked and it’s down to 74%. Any thoughts?

Back