Vampire Drain

Excellent. Thank you. I have never gone into settings! It is now at 92%. So from 100% to 92% in 60 hours. Is this a normal drain? I need some kind of knowledge when speaking with the service rep at Lucid. I don't want to have this situation again.
When my car was new I experienced some significant drain while parked a few times. I attributed it getting better due to software upgrades, but perhaps the software is more protective of a new battery. Plugged in at home and set to 80%, the car does seem to go to sleep and not charge after it gets to 80%, but if you check status on the app and wake the car and it is below 80% it starts charging again. This is something that is hard to do controlled testing of as it takes time, and waking the car to check status changers the behavior.

So, I got an answer from engineering through my head of service. It’s not an answer I’m happy with, but an answer and acknowledgment nonetheless. I was told, that the car goes through a range recalculation after every charging session once it sits after completion. I was told that currently it is performing as intended, but they are working to improve the range recalculation. The reason why you aren’t seeing the drop after 100%, is there is no calculation to perform once full SoC is achieved. I implore anyone to charge to 100%, go for a short drive and return to your garage and let the car sit, check on it in a few hours and as explained to me, the range recalculation will occur with some loss. The reason it goes unnoticed during driving is that we are actively using mileage. Again, this is what was explained to me from engineering. Not something I think is acceptable, but comforting knowing that they are indeed taking it seriously and working to improve it.

Last edited:
So, I got an answer from engineering through my head of service. It’s not an answer I’m happy with, but an answer and acknowledgment nonetheless. I was told, that the car goes through a range recalculation after every charging session once it sits after completion. I was told that currently it is performing as intended, but they are working to improve the range recalculation. The reason why you aren’t seeing the drop after 100%, is there is no calculation to perform once full SoC is achieved. I implore anyone to charge to 100%, go for a short drive and return to your garage and let the car sit, check on it in a few hours and as explained to me, the range recalculation will occur with some loss. The reason it goes unnoticed during driving is that we are actively using mileage. Again, this is what was explained to me from engineering. Not something I think is acceptable, but comforting knowing that they are indeed taking it seriously and working to improve it.
If it is just calculation, it would be simple fix with minor future OTA Update. I think the problem of drain may be it wakes up too much, and it keeps going to BMS protection mode. I think they should just tune it less sensitive.

I did an informal test myself overnight. I charged it to 90% the other day at EA. By the time I got home, it was down to 86%. Sitting in the garage overnight, it was down to 83% the next morning, presumably due to BMS loss. Driving to and from work yesterday left me at 76%, so I charged back up to 80% overnight, which finished in under an hour. When I woke up the morning, it was still at 80% - no phantom drain.

I can't explain it, other than maybe having so little charge needed didn't heat the battery up to make it lose charge for BMS cooling? Either way, if it stays plugged in, it should just use the power from the wall rather than the battery to cool everything down. There's no need for the phantom drain in that situation.
My have been short length of charge. I've seen drain and recharge after it sits for about 4 hours after a charge from at least 60-80%

This doesn't explain why without the key on me, fans are running and charging light is flashing in the morning after charge completed earlier that night, or does it?
And military time!

International travel. 24 clock helps you travelling across multiple time zones and you cannot confuse AM/PM

This doesn't explain why without the key on me, fans are running and charging light is flashing in the morning after charge completed earlier that night, or does it?
That part I don’t know. This is in reference to the drain seen by a bunch of us after a charging session is complete followed by a short drive.

It sounds like the wildcard variable here is the way the car itself calculates. This entire discussion assumes that what it tells you is correct. Perhaps the “vampire drain” is just poorly written calculation software!

That part I don’t know. This is in reference to the drain seen by a bunch of us after a charging session is complete followed by a short drive.

I guess we are talking about two types of Vampire Drain, if one isn't enough
It sounds like the wildcard variable here is the way the car itself calculates. This entire discussion assumes that what it tells you is correct. Perhaps the “vampire drain” is just poorly written calculation software!

If its software then it is recalculating to a point charging starts again.

I really don’t think it is “recalculating” the percent. It it is not charging to 80% but only to 76%, then the amount of loss dispensing the electricity is even higher. I have been calculating the amount dispensed from the charger, vs the amount received by the battery using battery percentage. If I am going to the full 80%, then there is about a 15% loss, meaning I dispense about 15% more energy than the battery receives. That 15% is transmission loss due to heat, BMS fans, AC to DC conversion, etc. if it is only going to 76-77%, then that loss calculation goes up to 20%.
Which I feel is excessive.

Also, if there is an issue calculating the amount in the battery, all the numbers on the trip computers are worthless. I still have a 3-week old open service order about these discrepancies for which they have not given me an answer.

I haven't seen this. I'm on 1.2.76 getting 3.7 mi/kW

I really don’t think it is “recalculating” the percent. It it is not charging to 80% but only to 76%, then the amount of loss dispensing the electricity is even higher. I have been calculating the amount dispensed from the charger, vs the amount received by the battery using battery percentage. If I am going to the full 80%, then there is about a 15% loss, meaning I dispense about 15% more energy than the battery receives. That 15% is transmission loss due to heat, BMS fans, AC to DC conversion, etc. if it is only going to 76-77%, then that loss calculation goes up to 20%.
Which I feel is excessive.

Also, if there is an issue calculating the amount in the battery, all the numbers on the trip computers are worthless. I still have a 3-week old open service order about these discrepancies for which they have not given me an answer.

I've given to head service tech. What they should help us with is "while still connected" the car miscalculates the 80% charge to only recalculate and determine that it needs to add a little more to get to 80%???

Please help us

My have been short length of charge. I've seen drain and recharge after it sits for about 4 hours after a charge from at least 60-80%

International travel. 24 clock helps you travelling across multiple time zones and you cannot confuse AM/PM
I finally got my L2 charging at home. I did it first time yesterday, charged up to 430miles or 94% SOC to 10pm and unplugged. This morning it went to 409 miles and 89% SOC at 8am. I see the BMS fan has been running almost all night for 5kW as my garage is probably 94F. I suppose with my semi-spirited drive and BMS fan, i guesstimate my long term efficiency is 3.35 mi/kWh which is 82% of EPA as I don’t drive freeway as much and BMS fan eats 5~7%.

Attachments

• 7153FF73-64DF-4F1E-A23A-EC9E89B81DEE.jpeg
    7153FF73-64DF-4F1E-A23A-EC9E89B81DEE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Why unplug? Why not set an upper charge limit and just leave it plugged in?

Unlike other EV’s that charge to a set limit and then sit with little or no vampire drain many Lucid owners report the cooling fans run for many hours after charging and then run again when the Air decides to top off the batteries again to get back up to the set point. It appears to be a waste of electricity in the long run and a larger electricity bill. We know the fans running are a way to protect the batteries but why is Lucid so different than other brands with little vampire drain?

Charged to 80% last night, then charger started again a bit later for only a few minutes. After it got to 80% the second time, I went out and disconnected the charger. Woke up the next morning to 77%.

Not sure how to do that? It said complete, so I unplugged.

If I understand DC charging and the battery temps the drain is a function of the battery cooling, is this correct? The L2 is a problem, but as I eluded to and proved earlier it does not occur on L2 if you charge to 100%.
100% is a solution only if you are planning to do long distance travle and need the range. 100% supposedly shortens battery life.

If we are talking tracking in percent, I think the head of service was reading from a script he did not understand. On the script based on range, it is likely true, because it is supposed to be taking driving habits into the calculation to calibrate, but % battery charge should have absolutely no calibration needed. I am now running 1.2.9 software. My unplugged power burn is roughly 2% per 24 hours unplugged. (That is with my FOB placed in the key drawer away from the car and not getting my cell close enough to activate the car.) This is almost 83 watts per hour, which I can live with, but I can find no reason that this is not more like 40 watts or less per hour burn. The ORON SOC that drives everything throttles down to 16 watts and if you think about what a notebook or a cell phone uses to run the Bluetooth and wireless, then the burn is too high. Perhaps they are not using passive cooling on the chips? Fans can burn a decent amount of power.

Not sure if it’s due to the 1.2.10 update, but I charged to 90% overnight and it finished at 2AM, and when I just checked the car this AM it was still at 90%. Has anybody else noticed the vampire drain from home L2 getting better?

Not sure if it’s due to the 1.2.10 update, but I charged to 90% overnight and it finished at 2AM, and when I just checked the car this AM it was still at 90%. Has anybody else noticed the vampire drain from home L2 getting better?
I charged to 80% last night and checked this morning and it was 77% again. Unfortunately update didn’t seem to help me.

Back