Vampire Drain

I charged to 80% last night and checked this morning and it was 77% again. Unfortunately update didn’t seem to help me.
I think it all depends on how deep sleep your GT is and how often BMS is triggered to run fan to protect battery life. The new update does something funny, maybe it corrected some calculation from the past, or maybe it failed to add some reserve battery. It only gain 2% initially, and still drain 2 miles for me daily, very acceptable. And I understand I have a very hot garage with window and door facing west.

I think it all depends on how deep sleep your GT is and how often BMS is triggered to run fan to protect battery life. The new update does something funny, maybe it corrected some calculation from the past, or maybe it failed to add some reserve battery. It only gain 2% initially, and still drain 2 miles for me daily, very acceptable. And I understand I have a very hot garage with window and door facing west.
I would think my GT would be in deep sleep since charging finished at midnight and I didn’t wake car up til 8 am. Garage temp is in mid 80’s. 3% Seems like a lot of drain for 8 hours

My unplugged drain now is less than 1% a day. Last time it was charged to 80% and left unplugged for 57 Hours, it was at 78% charge. That is roughly 41 watts per hour. I don't know if it was the 1.2.10 release, or it is because the weather in Dallas has dropped about 10 degrees. Lucid has never told us what is going on when the drain is happening. In the situation where the Lucid is plugged in, I used to wake up to a 2% drain since last charged. It seemed that having the nozzle in caused a power drain and the car would complete the charge and go to parked mode, but ran the battery down doing whatever and not start charging again unless the car was woken up. I have verified that my car does not lose power in this mode, at least that I can observe. My other scenario is when the nozzle is inserted and the charger is not powered on due to a time. In the past, this was a significant drain on the battery. I will look at that tomorrow.

Anyway, for now (and I don't know why) , on the 1.2.10 release the 2 of 3 scenarios seem to be fixed. The 40 watt drain is more reasonable when you consider what the car must do. (15 watts for the ORON CPU/SOC (Server on aChip) and 25 watts for communications (including RF wireless, Bluetooth, Mobile wireless and home wireless) any other functions.)

Last edited:
Not sure about the drain, but my 80% charge mileage is now showing about 10-15 more miles of range than prior to the update. Not sure if it has actually increased my range in reality, but it was a nice bonus.

Yeah 90% charge shows 471 miles so 100% would be over 500 miles.

I vaguely remember when SA confirmed order with me in January that difference of 19” and 21” is 10% range and 21” get 469 mi. But after I charged first time 100% last weekend, it’s actually 460 mi. After I installed 1.2.10, I gained 9 miles but have yet try to check where 100% SOC is at.

Could it be 460 + 10% more = 506 and 469 + 10% more = 516 as new standard?

I do not think those percentages are so accurate that one can assume a exact number of miles.

Everyone should really just learn how many miles/% their driving style will get them. If you go just based off the EPA estimates (which is what Lucid displays) you are going to have a bad time.

Has any one has experienced completely draining the battery recently? I am wondering how close the new range estimates are to actual driving reality.

Everyone should really just learn how many miles/% their driving style will get them. If you go just based off the EPA estimates (which is what Lucid displays) you are going to have a bad time.

Agreed, if I am doing the calculation correctly to achieve the full range you would need to average 4.2mi/kWh. The highest I've seen was 4.1mi/kWh and that was on 3,100 mile road trip (not going downhill)

I'm sure a few of us have learned what impact their driving style will have. My point in posting was not that I'm getting more miles. The point is what is causing it to go up. And correspondingly is this real gain or I now need to relearn my driving style impact because they added more miles but also added a faster drain of said miles.

I charged to 410 tonight then drove 1/2 mile to dinner. When I came out 1 hour later the car read 394. I didn’t manually lock it, did it stay on? The vampire drain runs from slightly annoying to really problematic. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason when it dials up

Just woke car up fully charged 79% 414 miles. Waking it up started charging again. They probably need to change how Wunderbox delivers power. Computers run on AC from line when connected not from battery.

Edit:
By the time I hit save got a notification charged 80% 418 miles, says parked.

I charged to 410 tonight then drove 1/2 mile to dinner. When I came out 1 hour later the car read 394. I didn’t manually lock it, did it stay on? The vampire drain runs from slightly annoying to really problematic. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason when it dials up
Did you fast charge or L2 home charge? What was the exterior temperature?

Did you fast charge or L2 home charge? What was the exterior temperature?
It Was a semi fast charge. The EA kiosks all indicated “power limited by charger” so was only charging at 6 mile per minute, not the usual 12 at the beginning of the curve. Out side temp was 86 and cloudy. My old model S even when sitting running the AC with the dogs in it did not gobble that much power while not moving over the course of an hour. Sorry Peter but your software guys have work to do.

Yeah when you DC fast charge (even though yours was slower it’s still DC fast charging) then immediately park the car the BMS doesn’t have any help from you driving to force air over the batteries to keep them at an optimum temp, so the BMS will cause some range loss.

Yeah when you DC fast charge (even though yours was slower it’s still DC fast charging) then immediately park the car the BMS doesn’t have any help from you driving to force air over the batteries to keep them at an optimum temp, so the BMS will cause some range loss.

Agree, there is a learning curve with EV.

This time I charged from 50-80% on L2 at home and woke up to 78% so it does still have the overnight drain when plugged in. I guess maybe as you approach a higher SOC% the drain is less for some reason, maybe cuz slower charging so less heat generated?

Back