• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Vampire Drain

Service guy came out to fix a small item… I asked about the vampire drain, and he asked where I kept the key fob when parked. I explained it was inside the garage door about 25’ from the car… he said it has a 75’ range… I moved it to bedroom - other end of house. Vampire drain and constant start up now gone…

just thought I would share the experience…

Man, “it’s always SOMETHING.”

Service guy came out to fix a small item… I asked about the vampire drain, and he asked where I kept the key fob when parked. I explained it was inside the garage door about 25’ from the car… he said it has a 75’ range… I moved it to bedroom - other end of house. Vampire drain and constant start up now gone…

just thought I would share the experience…

Well the key fob being too close makes sense, except that this just started happening and the distance between where I put the key fob and the car has been the same. In any case, I'm gonna move it further away and see what happens.

I used to have that Vampire drain and Fob battery drain problem, just get a Faraday Box or Faraday Pouch, your problem will be gone. You can even put fob 3 feet away and still won’t be any issue.

Samfolk Faraday Box with Faraday Pouch 2 Pack, Keyless Entry Car Key Safe Protector RFID Anti-Theft Signal Blocking Cages https://a.co/d/613QlP2

I used to have that Vampire drain and Fob battery drain problem, just get a Faraday Box or Faraday Pouch, your problem will be gone. You can even put fob 3 feet away and still won’t be any issue.

Samfolk Faraday Box with Faraday Pouch 2 Pack, Keyless Entry Car Key Safe Protector RFID Anti-Theft Signal Blocking Cages https://a.co/d/613QlP2
Yes. Several of us have recommended the faraday pouches to prevent vampire drain From the key fobs. The drain that was occurring after an overnight charge (or fast charge right before parking) has largely resolved with the updates. I was having up to 2-3% of the battery lost in the morning after a charge to 80%. Now I do not lose that.

I've been having this vampire drain issue after the latest update(1.2.21) few days go. I always charge at DC Fast charge stations, I don't think how I'm charging is my issue. I'm losing around 10 miles of range every day. l charged the car on Tuesday night to 80% ( 377 miles shown on the dash), and drove it home ( 5miles). I have not driven the car since and it is now at 333.

I know for sure this was not happening before, because I had the car parked in the garage for two weeks when I was overseas and the car lost around 15-20 miles in that time. Anyone else experiencing anything like this with the latest update?

And yes, i am averaging 2.5mi/kWh 🤪 but I only have 300 miles on the car. So hopefully that's gonna improve.
I have my key fob in a faraday box and I noticed for the first time tonight that my car lights were flashing every 2-3 minutes. I then went to my phone app and it said my car was unlocked for some reason. Very odd, but something you might want to look at as well. After I remotely locked it using my phone app, the car stopped draining.

I have my key fob in a faraday box and I noticed for the first time tonight that my car lights were flashing every 2-3 minutes. I then went to my phone app and it said my car was unlocked for some reason. Very odd, but something you might want to look at as well. After I remotely locked it using my phone app, the car stopped draining.
Your phone transmits Bluetooth signal to keep car awake when you are in proximity with phone.

Scratch that. Still getting phantom draining despite no keys being in the vicinity (both in Faraday box). Lost 5 mi in the last hour. Going to call customer service to see what’s going on. Anyone else experiencing issues? I’m hoping it’s because the car is “pre-downloading” like Tesla does for the next big update.

I think the drain is from the BMS balancing the cells within the battery modules to make sure all cells in a module are at the same voltage. The only way to do this is to bring higher voltage cells down to equal the lower ones.

Scratch that. Still getting phantom draining despite no keys being in the vicinity (both in Faraday box). Lost 5 mi in the last hour. Going to call customer service to see what’s going on. Anyone else experiencing issues? I’m hoping it’s because the car is “pre-downloading” like Tesla does for the next big update.
Phantom drain I experience these days is 1% after charging (charging adds heat and BMS uses energy to control battery temp). If it’s colder outside it may be 3-4%. If you DCFC then don’t drive it far afterwards and then park it you may lose 5%, you should only DCFC if you’re then going to drive it for a bit as driving helps the BMS work less hard to control battery temps after blasting it with a bunch of kW quickly. If you’re experiencing more consistently whether you’re charging or not, then I’d check that all interior lights are off, soft close doors are not accidentally stuck very slightly open (that’s happened to me), make sure phone/fobs are not near the car, etc. If you’re still experiencing that much drain and have ruled out the above and done a valet card reboot, then contact service.

Any input appreciated. I left my Lucid for 4 days and it drained 25 miles, is that fairly typical?

I would not say it is atypical. My car has been at the body shop for almost a month and has lost around 30% (Percentage points), but I really do not know how much they kept the car "awake" and I also did all of my updates over LTE remotely as well as checked on the car daily to see whether it was in the shop or parked outside in the lot.

A thought. On my Genesis GV30 there is an orange light on the dash that lights up whenever the battery pack is charging the 12 volt battery. I notice that it is lit a lot in my garage. I am thinking that the "vampire drain" might be that the 12 volt battery is being charged.

It's my first full day with my new Touring. I just went into the garage (didn't have phone or fob on me) and some fan was running. Car is locked and not charging. Haven't driven in in a couple of hours and garage is 63 degrees or so.

Is there some reason the fans (I assumes that's what the noise is) would come on randomly when locked and not charging?

It's my first full day with my new Touring. I just went into the garage (didn't have phone or fob on me) and some fan was running. Car is locked and not charging. Haven't driven in in a couple of hours and garage is 63 degrees or so.

Is there some reason the fans (I assumes that's what the noise is) would come on randomly when locked and not charging?
Never mind. I think the key fob, while inside the house, was likely too close to the car in the garage. I'll make sure to leave it further away or put it in the Faraday pouch.

A thought. On my Genesis GV30 there is an orange light on the dash that lights up whenever the battery pack is charging the 12 volt battery. I notice that it is lit a lot in my garage. I am thinking that the "vampire drain" might be that the 12 volt battery is being charged.
Something like this would be a nice feature to add to the mobile app.

We've been running an (involuntary, 20 days into ownership we were tail ended, putting the car into a body shop) little experiment of letting our AGT sit idle (other than periodically poking at it to see the current State of Charge). We are currently 45 days into this experiment, which started at 77% SOC and as of today is at 43% SOC... that is about 0.75% per day (which has been consistent through out this experiment). The car is currently on software level V2.0.15, and the experiment is expected to run about another month or so (sigh).

We've been running an (involuntary, 20 days into ownership we were tail ended, putting the car into a body shop) little experiment of letting our AGT sit idle (other than periodically poking at it to see the current State of Charge). We are currently 45 days into this experiment, which started at 77% SOC and as of today is at 43% SOC... that is about 0.75% per day (which has been consistent through out this experiment). The car is currently on software level V2.0.15, and the experiment is expected to run about another month or so (sigh).

Shop is keeping keys to close to the car.

Back