Supporting Member
Cars
Dream P
DE Number
Referral Code
R0YBCKIJ
Stole this off the Ioniq5 Reddit Forum

Coupon code: IONIQ5 expires 4/27/22

I have one of the "mini" versions and it is quite difficult to use because of an extremely tight fit on the Tesla connector end. It's body-weight-press-it-against-the-ground tight to mate, and wiggle-it-for-a-whole-minute tight for unmating. I'm a 165lb male who lifts weights. There's no way my wife could use the product. If I were buying again I'd get one of the non-mini versions and hope it fits better.

Last edited:
Could some explain the Tesla Tap please? What does it do?
I thought Tesla charging stations would not allow non Teslas to charge there…..

In a nutshell, Tesla non supercharger stations will charge other cars as long as you have a converter - one of which is the Tesla Tap.

In a nutshell, Tesla non supercharger stations will charge other cars as long as you have a converter - one of which is the Tesla Tap.
(1) Which size is the correct/best to buy on that site for a AGT?
(2) Where does one find a online map of the Tesla non- super charger sites?

Last edited:
Also for people who have Tesla home chargers to charge their other (better) EV, the Lucid!

(1) Which size is the correct/best to buy on that site for a AGT?
(2) Where does one find a online map of the Tesla non- super charger sites?
1. I chose the 80amp MiniTap to be safe, as some times you will find a higher rated Amp Tesla destination charger to use. This can be a handy tool if you go on long road trips. I am planning a 7 state National Park road trip in June and will have some charging challenges in Montana, Wyoming & South Dakota. I may have to use some Tesla destination chargers along the way.

2. I use PlugShare and ABRP apps. That show all the available chargers.

1. I chose the 80amp MiniTap to be safe, as some times you will find a higher rated Amp Tesla destination charger to use. This can be a handy tool if you go on long road trips. I am planning a 7 state National Park road trip in June and will have some charging challenges in Montana, Wyoming & South Dakota. I may have to use some Tesla destination chargers along the way.

2. I use PlugShare and ABRP apps. That show all the available chargers.
Totally agree with these. PlugShare for local search and ABRP for distance.

I have downloaded Plug Share,Electrify America and Charge Point. What is ABRP?

Agree with the 80 amp TeslaTap adaptors for exactly the above ^^^^^^^

I am still debating between the TeslaTap mini and regular TeslaTap. Mini is smaller, easier to carry but more expensive. Regular is cheaper but bulkier. How are thoughts on each for making the connections to the Tesla unit and the ease of connecting and disconnecting?

Can non Tesla use these charging stations?

Can non Tesla use these charging stations?
Yes to destination chargers. No to super chargers. Destination chargers are usually located at hotels, restaurants, etc and would be controlled by the property owner. Would just need an adapter to use if not a Tesla.

Yes to destination chargers. No to super chargers. Destination chargers are usually located at hotels, restaurants, etc and would be controlled by the property owner. Would just need an adapter to use if not a Tesla.
Thanks.

I have one of the "mini" versions and it is quite difficult to use because of an extremely tight fit on the Tesla connector end. It's body-weight-press-it-against-the-ground tight to mate, and wiggle-it-for-a-whole-minute tight for unmating. I'm a 165lb male who lifts weights. There's no way my wife could use the product. If I were buying again I'd get one of the non-mini versions and hope it fits better.
Alex mentioned the tight fit of the mini Tesla Tap. He found the areas that were binding and sanded those spots. Subsequently, the mini goes on and off without difficulty. You might message Alex for more information if needed. @Alex also has the non-mini version of Tesla Tap and it does not bind like the mini.

Alex mentioned the tight fit of the mini Tesla Tap. He found the areas that were binding and sanded those spots. Subsequently, the mini goes on and off without difficulty. You might message Alex for more information if needed. @Alex also has the non-mini version of Tesla Tap and it does not bind like the mini.
Thanks, will do.

Ok success. Talked to customer service and found the discount code box. All ordered. Just need the car now

Last edited:
I set up a account first, then placed the tap in the cart. I believe the next page had a place to enter the code. Maybe setting up a account is the key. Did it on my phone.

BTW I took a rat-tailed file to the Tesla-side inner plastic of my TeslaTap mini this morning, and now it goes on and off my Tesla HPWC with some effort - but no longer unworkably difficult.

Back