Tesla Tap Group Buy 15% off

So what's the consensus here? The mini or the normal one is better?

With the only data point I have, I'll buy the regular version next time when my Air comes in. Fortunately it has a lot of storage space. The mini hasn't worked out well for me except that it fits nicely in my Volvo's crowded under-trunk.

Maybe my experience isn't typical as the product has all 5-star reviews on the company's website. However, I notice that my own 2-star review, containing content and language nearly identical to what I've posted here, has not appeared though I submitted it several days ago. It's possible they're filtering reviews.

Just had my first call with my DA this afternoon and we went through several details. When he got to charging I explained I had 2 80 amp Tesla Home Chargers load sharing and I intended to use a Tesla Tap for my Lucid. He indicated that Lucid would not cover issues caused by charging with the Tesla Tap becasue it was not UL certified and explained I should explore other options. He was very pleasant and informative and I thought this was an interesting point. I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but thought it was worth repeating.

FWIW, I plan to buy one and use it. My intention is to charge with a Telsa Tap 80 at 48 amps or so when I use it. My experience with my current Tesla is that 48 amps is more than enough for overnight charging. I may convert my current setup with 2 Tesla chargers that load share 80 amps total to 40 amp circuits with one Juicebox and one Tesla charger. I may loose some potential charging headroom (my other Tesla can only charge at 48 amps max), but I dont think its that important for home charging anyways.

Just had my first call with my DA this afternoon and we went through several details. When he got to charging I explained I had 2 80 amp Tesla Home Chargers load sharing and I intended to use a Tesla Tap for my Lucid. He indicated that Lucid would not cover issues caused by charging with the Tesla Tap becasue it was not UL certified and explained I should explore other options. He was very pleasant and informative and I thought this was an interesting point. I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the forum, but thought it was worth repeating.

FWIW, I plan to buy one and use it. My intention is to charge with a Telsa Tap 80 at 48 amps or so when I use it. My experience with my current Tesla is that 48 amps is more than enough for overnight charging. I may convert my current setup with 2 Tesla chargers that load share 80 amps total to 40 amp circuits with one Juicebox and one Tesla charger. I may loose some potential charging headroom (my other Tesla can only charge at 48 amps max), but I dont think its that important for home charging anyways.
Is there a company that makes a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter which is UL certified?

But do they have an 80 amp version?
No, 48A is it. But very few Tesla destination charges use more than 48A. If you have an existing 80A Tesla home charger, I can see where you would want 80A. But, to reduce range anxiety on trips, a 48A version may be all one needs. I thought the 40A too small, But I just might buy the 48A as an insurance policy for long trips.

They have been awaiting UL certification for a very long time. There are no current UL certified Tesla to J1772 adapters that I’m aware of at this time unfortunately.

1. I chose the 80amp MiniTap to be safe, as some times you will find a higher rated Amp Tesla destination charger to use. This can be a handy tool if you go on long road trips. I am planning a 7 state National Park road trip in June and will have some charging challenges in Montana, Wyoming & South Dakota. I may have to use some Tesla destination chargers along the way.

2. I use PlugShare and ABRP apps. That show all the available chargers.
Can our Dream accept 80A?

Last edited:

The handle and cable are UL Rated. I guess the plug itself is not?

Yes to destination chargers. No to super chargers. Destination chargers are usually located at hotels, restaurants, etc and would be controlled by the property owner. Would just need an adapter to use if not a Tesla.
What is the top Amps for the Tesla Destination Chargers?

What is the top Amps for the Tesla Destination Chargers?
They could be up to 80 amps. The Air can take 80 amps. You could buy the 80 amp "mini" and then just attack it with a rat-tail file on the Tesla end to open it up a little around the two top inside corners.

Back