Wall Charger

KySerenity

Cars
Model S, Pure Reservation
I posed this question in another thread but did not get a response. Many Dream Edition owners also own Tesla and probably have Tesla wall chargers installed in their garage. How are you charging your Lucid?

Upon delivery of my Lucid, I am considering use of my Tesla wall charger with a Tesla Tap mini adapter ( http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=160).

Thoughts?

I posed this question in another thread but did not get a response. Many Dream Edition owners also own Tesla and probably have Tesla wall chargers installed in their garage. How are you charging your Lucid?

Upon delivery of my Lucid, I am considering use of my Tesla wall charger with a Tesla Tap mini adapter ( http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=160).

Thoughts?
That will work. I plan on using just the Lucid mobile charger in a 110v / 40 amp wall outlet for topping off on weekdays and sharing the ChargePoint Flex with our Leaf on weekends to fill it up weekly. Eventually I may install a 100amp circuit and purchase a Lucid Home Charger if I am satisfied with how it will work for bidirectional charging. It’s overkill on the amps for daily charging.

Are the specs for the mobile charger posted anywhere (what plugs, what amps)? I know from posts here on the forum it supports the common 14-50P to charge 40A@240V, and I presume it supports 5-15P for something like 12A@120V and 5-20P for something like 16A@120V? Anything in between, like less common dryer plugs?

Thoughts?
I’m using the Tesla Tap mini (80A) to charge the Lucid. Works great. I posted about this in some other thread.

Are the specs for the mobile charger posted anywhere (what plugs, what amps)? I know from posts here on the forum it supports the common 14-50P to charge 40A@240V, and I presume it supports 5-15P for something like 12A@120V and 5-20P for something like 16A@120V? Anything in between, like less common dryer plugs?
I posted this in another thread before. But here is a link to the Mobile Charger manual:

When we built our new house a few years ago we already had a Tesla and knew we would eventually have at least two EVs. So we installed 400 amp service and two NEMA 14-50 plugs in the garage, one a 50-amp circuit and the other a 100-amp circuit.

We charge both the Tesla and the Lucid with the cable chargers that came with the cars, each plugged into its own NEMA 14-50 receptacle.

I posted this in another thread before. But here is a link to the Mobile Charger manual:
Thanks for that. I've read almost every post on this forum, but I couldn't find your earlier post with a site search. The site is getting too popular. ;)

The documentation is a bit ambiguous: It says it comes with one 120V plug and one 240V plug, but then shows three plugs (5-15, 14-30, and 14-50), along with a note that "other adapters may be available for purchase from Lucid". Does it come with all three? Are there others actually available yet?

Mostly I'm just curious, but @Sandvinsd mentioned a 110v/40A outlet, and it looks like the max amperage supported at 110v is 12A using the 5-15.

The documentation is a bit ambiguous: It says it comes with one 120V plug and one 240V plug, but then shows three plugs (5-15, 14-30, and 14-50), along with a note that "other adapters may be available for purchase from Lucid". Does it come with all three? Are there others actually available yet?
It comes with the NEMA 5-15 and the NEMA 14-50. The NEMA 14-30 is available "separately", but I have not inquired about it. I will ask the service center if they have any in stock, since my car is there and will be delivered back on Monday, I'll pick one up, if available.
Mostly I'm just curious, but @Sandvinsd mentioned a 110v/40A outlet, and it looks like the max amperage supported at 110v is 12A using the 5-15.
There is no 120V@40A adapter available for the Lucid and there is no such standard for a NEMA plug/receptacle. The closest would be a NEMA 5-50. See the picture below (which I got somewhere on the internet) for various NEMA Plug/Receptacles:
NEMA.jpeg

yes. It would be limited to 15. I had not seen the manual before this thread. As I said, I would just top off overnight during the week that way and use the ChargePoint flex (40amps/240 volts) on the weekends. The leaf would be using the Flex every overnight since we use it constantly and it only has about 130 miles of range. I can just plug the Lucid into the flex on Sat/Sun morning and still get super-off peak electric to fill it. Should not need to charge the Lucid more than 1x per week.

Now I am wishing the home back up using bidirectional charging was being offered by a third party. The insideEvs podcast discussed the Ford product. They were unable to answer whether you can have two home back ups, one Lucid and one Ford. They alluded to Mach-E being given ability to power house like the Lightning.

It would be nice to have the Lightning in the garage serving that purpose since AGT would be daily driver. We still own a cargo trailer and would occasionally need a truck. Lightning is far more expensive than a standby generator but Lightning in the garage is far more HOA friendly.

I get mine on Thursday. Will my Lucid DE come with a charger that works with this set up?

Attachments

• B7892221-F16C-4142-9644-D3E5C797662A.jpeg
    B7892221-F16C-4142-9644-D3E5C797662A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 172
  • FC35B27F-715E-4682-ACD2-2CA78C274E0E.jpeg
    FC35B27F-715E-4682-ACD2-2CA78C274E0E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 159
I get mine on Thursday. Will my Lucid DE come with a charger that works with this set up?
Yes, the included mobile charger will work. if you plan on taking your mobile charger with you, you should get something permanent to plug-in and leave in your garage. The Nema 14–50 outlet can be damaged by plugging and unplugging frequently. Congrats!

Yes, the included mobile charger will work. if you plan on taking your mobile charger with you, you should get something permanent to plug-in and leave in your garage. The Nema 14–50 outlet can be damaged by plugging and unplugging frequently. Congrats!
Why would you even need the included mobile charger while making a trip unless there will be a electrical receptacle at your destination?

Why would you even need the included mobile charger while making a trip unless there will be a electrical receptacle at your destination?
It’s always a “just in case”. I don’t carry a mobile charger in the Leaf for daily driving, but if I were on a trip, I would have it in the car.

I’d rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Definitely wise to bring it along for a worst case scenario.

I’d rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. Definitely wise to bring it along for a worst case scenario.
Lol… that reminds me of the King Stallman bail bonds commercial jingle in SD. “it’s better to know him and not need him than need him and not know him”

Lol… that reminds me of the King Stallman bail bonds commercial jingle in SD. “it’s better to know him and not need him than need him and not know him”
Haha! If one thing has stuck in my head from my old man, it’s that.

I’m using the Tesla Tap mini (80A) to charge the Lucid. Works great. I posted about this in some other thread.
Can I use this for hotel charging stations? What would I need for the Tesla Super Charger Network when it’s open for the public?
Thanks in advance.

Back