Taking a look at Lucid

I believe that there are some V4 superhargers but they all have 500V cabinets behind them so they are limited to 500V.
I would label those as 3.5 🤣

Peter Rawlinson explained this is some early interviews during the Air design. He said that when he joined Tesla in 2010 and found the Model S design needed to be reworked from the ground up, the only thing he was told he couldn't touch was the body shell which had already been locked in. He said he was always bothered by the lack of torsional stiffness in that shell, driven in part by the hatchback opening. He said he finally had a chance to rectify that with the Air.
Fascinating. Thank you for sharing. This seems to explain how the Air feels simultaneously smoother and more precise than the Model S.

I am seriouslly considering buying an Air and came across this thread. It has been super helpful. Thanks for all of the thoughtful comments and replies.

One concern I have that I have not found an answer to the approach and departure angles on the Air. One of the nicest features of our ancient Model S is the ability to automatically raise the air suspension when pulling into our driveway. The driveway has a fairly steep transition from the gutter but the underside of our Model S (and Model Y) have never scraped.

Is the Air particularly low in the front or back? It would drive me nuts if the underside scraped when pulling In or out.

Thanks!

I am seriouslly considering buying an Air and came across this thread. It has been super helpful. Thanks for all of the thoughtful comments and replies.

One concern I have that I have not found an answer to the approach and departure angles on the Air. One of the nicest features of our ancient Model S is the ability to automatically raise the air suspension when pulling into our driveway. The driveway has a fairly steep transition from the gutter but the underside of our Model S (and Model Y) have never scraped.

Is the Air particularly low in the front or back? It would drive me nuts if the underside scraped when pulling In or out.

Thanks!
The Air actually is very low... could you attach a picture of your driveway so we could see?

Thanks!
Super low and you will probably scrape with no air suspension, but others have installed those heavy rubber angle reducers to alleviate this issue.

The back isn't bad, but the front is extremely low. I have to leave my driveway very slowly, or at an angle to prevent it scraping the bottom, right where the driveway meets the gutter. I think you just get used to it after a while.

The manual has dimensions if you'd like to compare to your Model S.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.01.29 PM.png

The manual has dimensions if you'd like to compare to your Model S.
Awesome - thanks!

That is one thing I already like more about Lucid - they actually have information. I saw the list of 2023 vs 2024 changes they published on their website. Tesla has never done that.

Here is the entrance to our driveway...
Oh yeah. That looks like it'll scrape. You'd want to come in at an angle. Or like someone suggested, if you could get one of those rubber things that mitigates the angle…

You just have to be comfortable with the fact that you are a beta tester for the vehicle in its software and an alpha tester for the service network.

Things that drive me crazy are doors not opening when I approach the car, the inability to make HVAC adjustments in the app, and the overall lack of maturity/options in the screen displays.

The things I love are the look of the car, the fantastic power, the quality of the internal finishing, and the fact it is a discussion topic every time somebody sees the car.

You have to accept you’re not getting Tesla level maturity. That said, the people involved with Lucid are fantastically nice and will go out of their way to support you. So it might take a while get diagnostics and repair done you are dealing with individuals who actually care.

Oh yeah. That looks like it'll scrape. You'd want to come in at an angle. Or like someone suggested, if you could get one of those rubber things that mitigates the angle…
Bummer. Thanks for the reply.

Bummer. Thanks for the reply.
The Air is low, but I have also seen driveways that look like that and created no problem for me, particularly if I take it slowly. Since it’s hard to guess, you might speak with Lucid about doing a test drive that includes your driveway. As others have said, Lucid support is excellent. That way, you’ll know for sure.

The Air is low, but I have also seen driveways that look like that and created no problem for me, particularly if I take it slowly. Since it’s hard to guess, you might speak with Lucid about doing a test drive that includes your driveway. As others have said, Lucid support is excellent. That way, you’ll know for sure.
That would be a great test drive. The closest studio is 50 miles away. But I will ask. Thanks

We have many like that where I live. When I walk around the neighborhood I see some folks have put in the black rubber like curb ramps. Low ground clearance is a component of owning a performance car (not SUV or truck). It sometimes sucks but it does let you have a great ride. Life is full of tradeoffs and buying cars is another one.

Things that drive me crazy are doors not opening when I approach the car, the inability to make HVAC adjustments in the app, and the overall lack of maturity/options in the screen displays.
For those who are using this thread to get basic information about switching to Lucid, I want to clarify that the doors do unlock and the handles extend when you approach the car, although the doors do not physically open (as a Model X door would). Also, the app allows you to turn on the climate control remotely and adjust the temperature, but does not yet include the seat warmers or the steering wheel warmer.

Sure, a history would be nice. I'm just saying you sort of *can* save waypoints, in the form of storing them as phone contacts and accessing them through the Lucid in-car UI. It's a workaround, but it works.
When you have something that's great compared to most cars, it's really nice. But when you are coming from something that has added capability after capability over the years, you are going to miss what you got used to. Of course I'd love to see Lucid do all that Tesla does in that respect, but I wouldn't put every aspect of it at the top of my list. From a programming standpoint, the ability to edit the existing history would be one of the easier things for them to do. It's always a compromise and if Tesla did things better overall, I wouldn't be here. I hope that over time, Lucid gets to a lot of these things, but they will have their hands full for a while.

I would label those as 3.5 🤣
I have no idea what Tesla's plans are and they haven't told anybody else, but it seems as if they are sticking with the type of equipment that they've used in the past to feed the chargers. Presumably, this will make things easier to upgrade in the future rather than putting in V3 hardware and needing to redo everything. When they plan to redo the rest is anybody's guess.

That looks almost exactly like my driveway. It definitely scrapes if you're not careful. I back in, so I'm always pulling out forwards. If you keep it slow, or angle it, or both - you'll get out without scraping.

Back