System Error and No CarPlay (again)

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi: My wife just called in a panic -- she got in the car in a crappy location in Oakland, and the car promptly displayed System Error. I had her reboot the car and after 2-3 minutes, it came back up. But no Carplay. CarPlay has been inconsistent from the beginning.

The car is 28 days old, and we have the following:
-- The car connection is dead so no updates and no phone connection. It probably needs a new communication module. No appointment available to get it fixed till Feb 8th.
-- system Error -- entire car dead, reboot solved
-- Car Play is inconsistent -- sometimes it works, often not
-- Range is about 180- miles total (it's a GT) -- I know there's a 2k mile break-in, but 180?

The system error today was alarming -- anyone else experienced this error?

Hi: My wife just called in a panic -- she got in the car in a crappy location in Oakland, and the car promptly displayed System Error. I had her reboot the car and after 2-3 minutes, it came back up. But no Carplay. CarPlay has been inconsistent from the beginning.

-- The car connection is dead so no updates and no phone connection. It probably needs a new communication module. No appointment available to get it fixed till Feb 8th.
-- Range is about 180- miles total (it's a GT) -- I know there's a 2k mile break-in, but 180?

regarding range: what is your efficiency?

Not sure, but good question. I'll take a look. Ahh, but maybe remind me where i find the efficiency numbers? Thnaks!

Not sure, but good question. I'll take a look. Ahh, but maybe remind me where i find the efficiency numbers? Thnaks!
On Pilot panel. Hit Trip. It would display that

And what are your driving habits? Average speed on the freeway? Stop and start? Hard acceleration or gentle? Ambient temperatures? A lot of stop and go driving?

Mostly city driving, stop and go. My wife's been driving a lot, so there is moderate acceleration. It's been about 55 degrees here in SF. In looking at the forum on efficient, it looks like I'm low, but not nearly as low as i thought.

The car only has ~300-~400 miles on it and is 28 days old.

Thank you for your input!

I am not entirely surprised to see 2.2 in stop and go , hilly city driving.

To ease your concerns about range, perhaps try driving for about 10 miles at constant speed and see what you get, should be dramatically better. I occasionally get very bad numbers in stop and go situations.
The mileage estimate was determined in ideal conditions generally with a steady state speed. Those numbers are impossible in busy city traffic.

I have not personally had the system error . Glad the reboot fixed it. Definitely shoot CS a text or email .

Are you using wired or wireless CarPlay?
I don’t know if it would make a difference , but in my many months of using wired CarPlay I have not had a single failure.

Mostly city driving, stop and go. My wife's been driving a lot, so there is moderate acceleration. It's been about 55 degrees here in SF. In looking at the forum on efficient, it looks like I'm low, but not nearly as low as i thought.

Thank you for your input!
Honestly you cannot test efficiently with city driving with so few miles. Go for a 100 mile drive and see what you get

Is the 2.2 m/kWhr from the last charge or from Trip A or Trip B? How many times have you charged in 28 days? The since last charge number includes phantom drain (0.25% per day) and any time the car is on and not in drive. That number may be very low for many short trips. The Trip A and Trip B numbers do not include the phantom drain. What are those?

Is Carplay a must use function? Is navigation the primary function for Carplay? music?

Although I have Carplay enabled on my car, I don't find myself using Carplay as much. For music, I Spotify and iHeart. For Navigation, I just use the integrated navigation.

Is Carplay a must use function? Is navigation the primary function for Carplay? music?

Although I have Carplay enabled on my car, I don't find myself using Carplay as much. For music, I Spotify and iHeart. For Navigation, I just use the integrated navigation.
CarPlay is extra must-use when your communication module is broken (no internet access for music / nav) unfortunately.

Having owned a Tesla for 6+ years, the car gives you instantaneous efficiency numbers. When you first start to drive, the car is conditioning the interior and battery and the efficiency for the fist mile is awful. As you drive further, you are averaging out the poor efficiency you had for the first mile, so short trips will show horrible efficiency. For example, here in the NE it was in the teens last week and the car averaged almost 1200 watts/mile for the first half mile (less than 25% of rated range). On a 20 mile trip that number came down to a trip average of 320 watts/mile, about 20% over the 275 watts/mile to hit the EPA range and about what it averages in the winter. Highway driving is even better.

Can you say what the error message specifically said ?

I don't think that the car has a message that just says "system error"; Did it also include other messages ?

I picked up my car in Orange County, CA, with a charge of 515 miles from the Service Center, and I drove back to my home in Central Valley, which is 272 miles away. The battery gauge still had about 174 miles.

It had to climb up and down the 4,144-foot Tejon Pass in the middle of the way, but with good weather, no HVAC was needed.

TejonPassSign.JPG

So it consumed 341 battery miles for a 272-mile actual trip, or a loss of 69 miles.

No break-in for me.

Maybe you have different tires. Mine is 19".

For me, yes. There’s several reasons why. First and foremost, I enjoy the integration between the calendar and navigation. When I’m headed to an appointment, it will automatically suggest that destination. I also do a fair bit of texting while driving and CarPlay works very well, especially once you learn to do a good job with dictating to Siri, which I am doing right now as a matter fact. Thirdly, I find the cellular signal on the built-in system to be fairly weak compared to the Verizon signal on my iPhone. Is it not only stronger, but it’s also faster. Therefore I don’t experience any dropouts when using streaming music, such as SiriusXM or iHeartRadio. Additionally, I have a SiriusXM subscription for my other car so I can use the app on CarPlay for free instead of paying for an additional subscription in the Lucid. Drawbacks? Of course I wish there were more room to display the interface but the curved dashboard does not allow for that. I wish Lucid would add EV awareness to CarPlay, which some other cars have.

Having owned a Tesla for 6+ years, the car gives you instantaneous efficiency numbers. When you first start to drive, the car is conditioning the interior and battery and the efficiency for the fist mile is awful. As you drive further, you are averaging out the poor efficiency you had for the first mile, so short trips will show horrible efficiency. For example, here in the NE it was in the teens last week and the car averaged almost 1200 watts/mile for the first half mile (less than 25% of rated range). On a 20 mile trip that number came down to a trip average of 320 watts/mile, about 20% over the 275 watts/mile to hit the EPA range and about what it averages in the winter. Highway driving is even better.
Which is why, if you're plugged in before departing, it pays to top off your charge and heat up the interior. The difference in efficiency is dramatic in those first few miles when doing this.

Back