Southern CA Pothole Warning ...

terrycs

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT-P
Referral Code
Q09BGD5G
So I was heading southbound on the 605 on far right lane getting ready to exit at South Street when I hit a major pot hole. No, it didn't just bulge my tire ... it blew it out.

The car handled the blow out like a champ and stayed in a straight line without any effort. I know the tire was destroyed when the tire pressure warning popped up showing "0" so I limped off the freeway and had it towed home.

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

Nothing was open yesterday so I had it towed home. Costa Mesa just told me the have the LM2 version in stock and that it's OK for them to be mismatched with the LM1 version on the drivers side.
Costa Mesa got my Luci in and out within 4 hours. I like them 😁
So sorry you had that happen!!!! Happy she handled it like a champ!

Costa Mesa got my Luci in and out within 4 hours. I like them 😁
So sorry you had that happen!!!! Happy she handled it like a champ!
It only took an hour and a half. They had my car from 11:30 to 1:00 ... so I'm already back in the office. Maybe they did a rush job since I was sitting in the waiting area? 🥱

Nice. When we had all that rain a few months ago in SoCal, it produced a bumper crop of potholes. One ate my sidewall too. Car never pulled, seemed to handle normally until you went over a bump! Didn’t want to chance damaging the rims, otherwise I might have driven home!🙃

605 & South... i believe that's Los Angeles County jurisdiction.
You might be able to make a damage claim to the County.
Link:

LA County Public Works Pothole fix request:

Article:

Nice. When we had all that rain a few months ago in SoCal, it produced a bumper crop of potholes. One ate my sidewall too. Car never pulled, seemed to handle normally until you went over a bump! Didn’t want to chance damaging the rims, otherwise I might have driven home!🙃
There wasn't enough shoulder on the off-ramp for a tow truck to safely load my car up so I had to risk driving off the freeway with the tire completely flat. It was nice that the tire bead held up and saved my wheel.

605 & South... i believe that's Los Angeles County jurisdiction.
You might be able to make a damage claim to the County.
Link:

LA County Public Works Pothole fix request:

Article:
Thanks for this info! Hopefully I can recover my $481.

Out of curiosity... 21"?
I have to drive up to LA in a few weeks... not really looking forward to it...
Maybe being stuck in a traffic jam is indeed a good thing for Lucid to avoid those pothole damage... lol

Lucky you didn't suffer any damage to the wheel, given the impact force. If you experience any shimmy in the front end, check to confirm the wheel doesn't have an inside wobble that balancing won't offset.

bummer that the 20" wheel is still not enough defense against road hazards.

19" A/S is just fine for this car for regular use and seems to have good performance for holes in the roads. It's not really up to what this car can do in any trim.

I have a set of 21" / 35 series for summer use. so worth it. this car is bad.

You might want to check on your alignment if you drive on the wheel. I blew out a front from a pothole in the winter and drove only one block to get out of the intersection. Either the pothole or driving on the rim bent it so I had to get a new wheel also. Then, I had to pay another $240 for a realignment as the car was pulling to the right after the wheel and tire replacement. Check your HA and lane centering to confirm.

Just to keep things easy to find in the future for Caltrans issues ...

For damage claims in California:

To report potholes on CA freeways:
Good luck with getting anything from them. Last time I tried they wanted the exact longitude and latitude of where the pothole was. Seriously, who would have that! I gave them the section of freeway and they refused to pay.

Found out later that you’re better off to just find a random pothole around town and tell the city it’s what caused the damage. People have had better luck getting money out of the city vs the state.

Good luck with getting anything from them. Last time I tried they wanted the exact longitude and latitude of where the pothole was. Seriously, who would have that! I gave them the section of freeway and they refused to pay.

Found out later that you’re better off to just find a random pothole around town and tell the city it’s what caused the damage. People have had better luck getting money out of the city vs the state.

I agree that it's a bit ridiculous to ask for exact geographic XY coordinate info...without any guidance on how-to info.
That being said, accurate geographic information helps government workers know where to look and plan for road closure or lane-close timings.

The easiest way to retrieve the longitude and latitude is from google map -> right-click the location, and the pop-up will show the longitude and latitude.
If you make the left-click on those coordinates, it will automatically make a copy to a clipboard for you to paste.

1718249754634.png

Back